2017 ssx

Personally, second to what you would like to do with your "Benny" is what size Lake are you on. If it is a Public Lake, State Park , or Great Lake I couldn't imagine going small as need and necessity may require more. Granted here our state parks have 10hp maximums!

Yes, a key point.  If you're on a body of water that might mean a long run back to the dock with an approaching storm, you'll be glad you got the extra HP.  If you're not too far from a safe haven, you probably wouldn't need it.

We got chased in by a nasty storm that popped up on us out of nowhere (as many storms in Florida do in the summer).  I knew I wasn't going to be able to make it back home, but I checked the GPS and there was a marina about a 15 minute run at WOT.  We got in, tied up, was able to pump fuel and went in for a beer.  We weren't in the marina 5 minutes.  Then the storm hit....

It bent my bimini frame (replaced by Bennington) - even when stowed.  Winds were clocked in the marina at 70 mph, and the thunder and lightning were right out of Dante.  That day the 150 HP paid for itself.  We had 4 adults on the boat, and I have no doubt we would have been in the water with that storm if I had anything less than that 150.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back