2021 20SLG 4.5% Lower than MSRP

AuthorizedUser

Reaction score
I calculated my dealer 'discounted price' compared to MSRP. I found out that on average, I saved 4.5% off MSRP. After reading many posts from owners in this forum, I anticipated a 10-15% discount (but, perhaps that is only with more expensive builds). My dealer told me that beginning last year or so, Bennington lowered the MSRP prices found on the web build page to better reflect actual dealer prices. They feared they were losing potential customers who were scared off by the higher MSRP and who would never bother to contact a dealer. Have other recent buyers experienced similar discounts off MSRP?

Photos are copyright Bennington.

Attachments

• Dave Boat 1.jpg
    Dave Boat 1.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Dave Boat.JPG
    Dave Boat.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I've got a good dealer who I enjoy... and the marina is awesome with tons of friendly boaters and is only five minutes from my house.

I am an overthinker. I tell the people who work for me, whenever it's necessary, please tell me I am overthinking something.

With all due respect, I believe, good sir, you are overthinking this deal.

I am an overthinker. I tell the people who work for me, whenever it's necessary, please tell me I am overthinking something.

With all due respect, I believe, good sir, you are overthinking this deal.
I don’t have the boat yet... what the hell else am I gonna do? :)

See what happens when you fight the PADS? The MSRP leprechaun takes away his pot of gold when you scrimp on the options and stay within your budget. Next time just check all the boxes like the rest of us - you were warned!

Seriously, you may be in the initial stages of going stir crazy. Naturally, waiting for your new toy is a bitter pill so I’m not judging - I must have sent my dealer 50 emails after my build started and he probably never wants to hear from or see me again. You may want to take the dealer up on his generous offer and throw in a trip to MIBS in February to scratch that itch. It will only get worse.

And your dealer does sound like he’s going above and beyond - even if the final price is $500-1000 more than someone else, what is the customer service aspect worth? There are plenty of average and below-average dealers out there - consider this your “great experience tax” that others didn’t have the benefit of.

It's just like PADS. Don't worry about what you paid for it. It's like buying a Mustang vs a fancy pickup. The dealer can discount trucks $10,000 off because they are still making a good profit. On a car there's not as much markup so can't give as much of a discount. As Potomacbassin' said if you check every box then the dealer has more wiggle room. I did that and got 30% off. I'm sure even at that the dealer is making a good profit because when I told them to throw this or that in to seal the deal they didn't bat an eyelash and said ok.

In your situation just remember the dealer controls the marina and YOU are getting a spot on your lake. I would gladly pay $1000 or $2000 more if I got a spot on our lake. Our local dealership doesn't carry Bennington so I would have had to buy a different brand through them to get a spot. They flat out told me you won't get one here with us. The other marina here I've been on the wait list for 3 years (before we moved here) and I was only down to 82 this summer. YOU don't have to worry about any of this since you bought your Bennington from them. All these concerns will melt away this summer when you can take a short drive to your local marina, hop on your new Bennington, and go out and enjoy the day!

Last edited:
In your situation just remember the dealer controls the marina and YOU are getting a spot on your lake. I would gladly pay $1000 or $2000 more if I got a spot on our lake. Our local dealership doesn't carry Bennington so I would have had to buy a different brand through them to get a spot. They flat out told me you won't get one here with us. YOU don't have to worry about any of this since you bought your Bennington from them.
Absolutely! I am not causing any 'waves' with my dealer/marina as I need that slip! The price the dealer gave me is the price I'm happily paying; no problem. He did throw in a battery switch, free sharkhide, no charge registration, and some gear for me and missus. The marina is five minutes away, situated in the prime spot on the lake, with certified technicians on-site seven days per week. It's really ideal.

Last edited:
Yup, based upon your comments above, I'd say any discount reduction can be attributed to being able to rent one of their slips as well as some of the "freebies" they threw in. When we negotiated our price, I wasn't quite as informed as some folks on this board with regard to what % off the MSRP others had gotten. I could go back and calculate it now, but sometimes it's best to let sleeping dogs lie...

I was just quoted 6% off of an SX build. I was deflated to say the least. I knew it wouldn't be 25% but I thought at least 10%. I went up all excited thinking I would be done boat shopping and left depressed. I honestly got the feeling he wouldn't go any lower. Too many people buying Bennington's and not enough supply I think. I will keep looking. I realize in the long run it really doesn't matter, but in the short term it hurts.

Last edited:
My discount on my 2021 LX was about 25% off of MSRP. Took delivery the end of August. I’m either lucky I ordered when I did or ???. What are others finding for discounts?

I was just quoted 6% off of an SX build. I was deflated to say the least. I new it wouldn't be 25% but I thought at least 10%. I went up all excited thinking I would be done boat shopping and left depressed. I honestly got the feeling he wouldn't go any lower. Too many people buying Bennington's and not enough supply I think. I will keep looking. I realize in the long run it really doesn't matter, but in the short term it hurts.

The crazy demand will normalize at some point, the free market will guarantee that. Maybe the dealer doesn't need that 4th boat to fill his load (my dealer says he orders in batches of four) but maybe in a few months that will change. Or many of the new boaters of 2020 will regret their decision and put them up for sale flooding the used market. Maybe let the dealer know that whenever he needs a sale and willing to sharpen his pencil to give you a call?

Bad timing for sure, but things could change quickly. Keep at it, opportunities are out there but you may have to work harder to find them.

20% off MSRP or thereabouts here. Been shopping hard for a month or more. Several dealers. I WAS told they were lowering MSRPs because it was scaring people off. But dealers are still 20%. These are not higher end models though like Q's and R's.

I should also clarify that the same dealer quoted me a 19% discount off an L series so it is definitely model (or more likely price) dependent.
I would think an SX at 6% discount would be the same approx price as an L model with 19% off??? Am I wrong?

Good point! The 19% was off a stock one that didn't have the features I wanted. But I will contact him tomorrow about building an L see if he does the same. I sure would feel better. Oh you gave me new hope
I wish you the best of luck!! I hope you get good news!

2021 L, on order. 23% off from MSRP.

Just rough numbers says a 23% off a L vs your 6% off and SX is $10,000 in value for an L.

The base price for a 22SRX is $42735
The base price for a 22LSR is $45762

Build an L...I bet you come out ok...But of course the large MSRP discounts are for those who add a lot of upgrades. And it only makes sense, "the more you add, the more you save" is what I convinced myself with

Good point! The 19% was off a stock one that didn't have the features I wanted. But I will contact him tomorrow about building an L see if he does the same. I sure would feel better. Oh you gave me new hope
You can build your dream layout with options then put in your dealer’s zip code and it will be sent to them to price out for you. I did a few builds then called my salesperson who was able to pull up my build. Good luck. Where are you located?

Thanks everyone! We reached an agreement and I am ordering an L today (I'll put details in another post). Yes the L with the discount was about same price as the Sx with the smaller discount. Kind of crazy
A little extra homework paying off right there. I think you will like the L much more than an SX. Both are nice. L is nicer. Glad that going back and reworking a perspective order and layout on the L paid off for you. Looking forward to the details in the other post...and eventually pictures down the road. :cool:

Back