2021 24LX ESP .125 300HP What to Expect WOT?

Pat and Renee

Reaction score
Just past the 20 Hour break in on 2021 Yamaha 300DEC which sits on back of a 2021 24LXSB with ESP .125 Toons.

Last night was a great night with a long run to Put N Bay island to listen to Blake Shelton concrete from the boat.
First time I had a long run with WOT and was super happy with the overall experience but from what I read on this forum I should be getting more MPH from my set up.

This was the situation last night
4 Adults
45 Gallon Gas
Few hundred lbs. of gear Beer, Snacks and Ice

Smooth Water and no wind to speak of
Bimini tops not open

Current Prop is
Yamaha Salt Water Stainless Steel Series
16 x15-1/2

Motor Mounted is all the way up (see no open slots so assuming its in the typical starting position.

Boat gets on plane super fast, there is no uplift at all on front, it just digs in and feels good.
If I give the motor a little trim at all I will actually loose speed.
My 2016 Bennington 22SCXX with a SPS and 150HP would like to be trimmed up?

RPM = 5800-5900
WOT = 30-32 MPH

Considering testing another prop today and any suggestion or comments are appreciated.

Keith Urban plays at same island tonight and the late night ride back WOT could be helpfull!

Patrick

That seems about 10 MPH low of what I would expect as normal.
My 23LXSB with a yammi SHO 250 rather well loaded up still runs 40 plus. I run the same prop that you do. I do have the S PS plus hull.
you mentioned the mounting, all the way up would mean there is a couple of holes above the bolts holding the motor? I would assume it’s mounted to high if that is the case. That is strictly a guess.

+1 on what White Laker said, "10 MPH low" (at least) assuming the logs are clean and don't leak. I would call my dealer. WOT (not loaded down with people and gear) at 30-32 MPH means you may be at 25 for your concert runs...unacceptable IMO with that setup.

Thanks for the feed back, the dealer is on the water and I will take boat over to them next week and find out what they say and/or do.

Will be able to enjoy the evening either way and love the boat.

After checking and confirming with the Yamaha Performance Bulletin, I agree with the others - you should be pushing upper 30s to low 40s, even with that kind of load on board.

Maybe try one/both of the following (recommended by the Yamaha Prop Selector) to see if it helps improve WOT speed:
  • Saltwater II 15.75x15 6CE-45976-20-00
  • Offshore II 15x16 MAR-15016-0R-E0
The Yamaha Prop Selector also lists the Saltwater II 15.5x17 6CE-45978-20-00, but that may be too much pitch.

For what ever reason ,I cant paste a link on my phone right now . Try propgods.com.

Last edited:
I have the same hull and motor purchased, but am waiting for the motor. I asked my dealer what top speed with a light load should be, his response was 47 to 48. This would be on a 23 rsb. I would expect around 40 fully loaded based on 47 to 48 light. Also, his personal boat has the esp package and a yamaha 300. So, I would think he would know what the numbers should be.

I would think your under proped since you are getting 5900 loaded up pretty good. On a light load you will be at/above rev limits. I am still curious about motor mounting height.In my experience you should be able to trim the motor up approximately 25° or so before it starts to ventilate if the motor inside of the proper height

Last edited:
I have the same hull and motor purchased, but am waiting for the motor. I asked my dealer what top speed with a light load should be, his response was 47 to 48. This would be on a 23 rsb. I would expect around 40 fully loaded based on 47 to 48 light. Also, his personal boat has the esp package and a yamaha 300. So, I would think he would know what the numbers should be.

Do you mind asking your dealer which prop is in their personal boat, then posting that info here?

I will, but it may be next week before I can ask him what prop he uses.

Boat should run high 40's

I agree with everyone here. My dealer is “the world’s largest Bennington dealer” and sells tons of boats. I have a 26 LX with the digital 300 and ESP. They did a Saltwater Series II prop on mine1630066333881.jpeg
They got 47 during prop testing and I hit 45 anyway. After I loaded up the boat and the wind of MN I can still consistently hit 40-43. Your dealer needs to swap props for you.

I will flip try and exchange out props today and provide update

Last night with now less gas and passengers still was at WOT 31-32 MPH

Take a picture of a mounting holes on your transom. I don’t think this is purely a prop situation. I believe mounting height will be ultimately something to look at as well. I don’t believe a prop will change the speed by 10-15 miles an hour. The prop that is on there is pretty close to what I think you will need.

After checking and confirming with the Yamaha Performance Bulletin, I agree with the others - you should be pushing upper 30s to low 40s, even with that kind of load on board.

Maybe try one/both of the following (recommended by the Yamaha Prop Selector) to see if it helps improve WOT speed:
  • Saltwater II 15.75x15 6CE-45976-20-00
  • Offshore II 15x16 MAR-15016-0R-E0
The Yamaha Prop Selector also lists the Saltwater II 15.5x17 6CE-45978-20-00, but that may be too much pitch.

I agree with everyone here. My dealer is “the world’s largest Bennington dealer” and sells tons of boats. I have a 26 LX with the digital 300 and ESP. They did a Saltwater Series II prop on mineView attachment 31021
They got 47 during prop testing and I hit 45 anyway. After I loaded up the boat and the wind of MN I can still consistently hit 40-43. Your dealer needs to swap props for you.

Well, I guess the 15.5x17 isn't too much pitch for the F300!
Pat and Renee, I change my mind: I recommend that you start with 6CE-45978-20-00 and see how it goes, based on lakelifeMN's testimony.

Back