2021 Ridgeline

Shawn

Reaction score
Hi all,

Considering a deal (maybe as soon as today) on a Honda Ridgeline RTL-E. The tow capacity is 5k, Im estimating about 4500 total for my 2019 21SF, SPS, Yamaha 150, fuel, trailer, etc.

I’m close to the limit, however, I only tow to the lake in spring and home in the fall as we have a slip. My tow is about 90 miles each way, mostly interstate, and we boat exclusively at a state park with good ramps.

Its hard to justify the expense of the Suburban for just the two of us and such infrequent towing.

anybody tow with a Ridgeline? Reviews seem positive with the latest models.

thanks.

Probably should also ask, you guys think I’m close on my weight estimate?

I was in the car business for 26 years. I always prefer vehicles with body on frame construction for towing. The Ridgeline shares a similar frame to the Odyssey (unibody) JMHO

Hi all,

Considering a deal (maybe as soon as today) on a Honda Ridgeline RTL-E. The tow capacity is 5k, Im estimating about 4500 total for my 2019 21SF, SPS, Yamaha 150, fuel, trailer, etc.

I’m close to the limit, however, I only tow to the lake in spring and home in the fall as we have a slip. My tow is about 90 miles each way, mostly interstate, and we boat exclusively at a state park with good ramps.

Its hard to justify the expense of the Suburban for just the two of us and such infrequent towing.

thanks.

Sounds like you are within spec. For the 180 miles annually it should do the job. I would always recommend at least 1 brake axel on the trailer.

Probably should also ask, you guys think I’m close on my weight estimate?
The other thing to consider is payload limit. The Ridgeline is roughly 1500 so if you figure tongue weight of 10% or 500lbs that means all your passengers and gear should be less than 1,000. Sounds reasonable but I would try to keep your weight down on the trips towing so you don’t get close to the limit. Going isn’t the problem but stopping could be. For the twice a year you tow this should be fine.

Hi all,

thanks.
Maybe try the Honda Ridgeline forum !

Sounds like you are within spec. For the 180 miles annually it should do the job. I would always recommend at least 1 brake axel on the trailer.
Yes, the trailer has brakes. It just seems hard to justify keeping the Suburban for so little towing. The RL is a better fit for the 99 percent of the time we are not towing.

I was in the car business for 26 years. I always prefer vehicles with body on frame construction for towing. The Ridgeline shares a similar frame to the Odyssey (unibody) JMHO
I agree and if I was towing with significant frequency I don’t think I’d change vehicles. THE RL is a better fit for the the time we are not towing.

Hi all,

thanks.
Hey I'm with you Shawn. Prices for Suburbans, Tahoe's, Escalades, Expeditions etc. etc. are crazy right now! We stopped into a couple dealerships a few months ago to just look and were shocked. Anyway we tow a couple times a year now with an Expedition that has a towing capacity of 9200 lbs. Had/Has no trouble towing either of the pontoon boats we have owned. Getting to your Honda Ridgeline. It does seem like you are getting close to it's capacity. I'm sure with today's engines it has enough horsepower/torque to be able to pull your boat/trailer/motor/gear/ family etc. but can it safely stop towing at almost full capacity?!? Does it come equipped with a tow package?!? Hitch, large radiator, transmission cooler, etc? On one hand I'm thinking that you're just going to tow your boat only twice a year to the slip and back home. Go for it!!! On the other hand it's no joke towing these big old pontoon boats 90 miles one way with a vehicle that's near it's tow capacity and may struggle or not. We have had this debate on this forum before and I'm sure other members will chime in soon......

Hey I'm with you Shawn. Prices for Suburbans, Tahoe's, Escalades, Expeditions etc. etc. are crazy right now! We stopped into a couple dealerships a few months ago to just look and were shocked. Anyway we tow a couple times a year now with an Expedition that has a towing capacity of 9200 lbs. Had/Has no trouble towing either of the pontoon boats we have owned. Getting to your Honda Ridgeline. It does seem like you are getting close to it's capacity. I'm sure with today's engines it has enough horsepower/torque to be able to pull your boat/trailer/motor/gear/ family etc. but can it safely stop towing at almost full capacity?!? Does it come equipped with a tow package?!? Hitch, large radiator, transmission cooler, etc? On one hand I'm thinking that you're just going to tow your boat only twice a year to the slip and back home. Go for it!!! On the other hand it's no joke towing these big old pontoon boats 90 miles one way with a vehicle that's near it's tow capacity and may struggle or not. We have had this debate on this forum before and I'm sure other members will chime in soon......
Yep, we have a Suburban now and the deal on the RL has me getting a new vehicle and money back in the process. Aside from the fact of not having the Suburban as the daily driver and the extra fuel cost, etc.

The RL does come with the tow package, 7 pin wiring, class 3 hitch, transmission cooler, 600 lb tongue weight capacity. On paper it works, but I can’t undo it later…

I believe you can take your boat to a scale and they could weigh the actual tongue weight as well as the whole unit. Might be worth the peace of mind if you have one near you.

Look at a Chevy Colorado. 7,000 trailing capacity with factory towing and 6 cylinder and body on frame.

Hi all,

thanks.
I have a 21 ft. Bennington (2021) Tri Toon with 150 hp Yamaha. I also have a 2007 Honda Ridgeline which pulls the boat just fine.
Big question for you...do you have brakes on your trailer? Even without brakes it should still do fine...just don't push it (safety first)

I have a 21 ft. Bennington (2021) Tri Toon with 150 hp Yamaha. I also have a 2007 Honda Ridgeline which pulls the boat just fine.
Big question for you...do you have brakes on your trailer? Even without brakes it should still do fine...just don't push it (safety first)
Yes, trailer has brakes. I appreciate your real world experience.

I have been pulling a 22 SSBX with 200HP from Ohio to TN 2-3 times per year with a 2019 Pilot no problems (5000# tow pkg). Gas mileage only about 9 MPG, so frequent stops. Dual axle, with 1 axle surge brakes.

Just picked up a 21 Ridgeline and plan to do the same with it.

I have been pulling a 22 SSBX with 200HP from Ohio to TN 2-3 times per year with a 2019 Pilot no problems (5000# tow pkg). Gas mileage only about 9 MPG, so frequent stops. Dual axle, with 1 axle surge brakes.

Just picked up a 21 Ridgeline and plan to do the same with it.
Thanks for the input. I would guess that since the Ridgeline has a longer wheelbase it should tow even better. We had two pilots in the past - no problems with either one.

I have a 2017 Ridgeline AWD and tow my SX23P tri-toon with 150 Yamaha. It is at the upper limits of the rated towing capacity for the vehicle. I only tow 10 miles to the lake 2-3 times a week during the summer on back roads at 40-55mph. Not the ideal tow vehicle for a boat this size and weight, but given my short towing distance, it works fine. I have good trailer brakes and am in a pretty flat area (AL). When I bought the truck in the summer of 2016 I had a fiberglass Chaparral that was well over 1,000 pounds lighter and it pulled it like a champ. Still pulls this heavier Bennington OK, for shorter distances, but if I regularly had to tow further, I would be looking for something with a higher towing capacity. I plan to do this if/when truck prices come back to sane prices.

My 2017 has the 6 speed transmission which some (including me) have experienced the transmission "judder" which there is a TSB for. Mine had this issue, which required a trip to the dealer for the fix, which is a x3 time transmission drain and fill (9.5 quarts total) and PCM re-flash to keep the converter from over-heating and taxing the fluid. I have no idea how 'beefy" the new 9 speeds are, but have heard the fluid is much more expensive.

I like jb75's suggestion above about renting a 1/2 or 3/4 ton for your twice a year tow to save wear and tear on your Ridgeline. The Ridgeline is a great truck when used within it's capabilities. Towing a tri-toon any considerable distance is pushing the transmission pretty hard in my experience. In addition to the added weight, I really noticed a big difference above 50mph with the amount of wind resistance pulling this pontoon compared with a fiberglass bowrider.

As someone else above mentioned, check out the Honda Ridgeline forum as well to help with your decision.

edit: Freeway speeds will probably not be a lot of fun towing a heavy "barn door". This pontoon blocks a lot air LOL! When I towed my Benny home from the dealer, approximately 60 miles at 65-70mph I REALLY noticed a difference from my previous ski boat. 40-55 no problems... good luck!

Last edited:
Hi all,

thanks.

Back