2022 20LLG - Fuel and Trim Gauges Inaccurate

Fairway

Reaction score
I have a 2022 20LLG with ~50hrs on it. When trim is all the way down the trim gauge shows it is 1/4 up. With a full tank of gas the fuel gauge shows 3/4 tank.
How common is this on a brand new Bennington?
Is there a way to adjust or calibrate either?
Im 2.5 hours away from the dealer so I hope that is not my only option.
I replaced the fuel gauge in my 2006 Premier but I could easily access it on that boat. (Also to note - I did that in 2021 before I sold it not when it was new in 2006)
Thanks for any advice.

Dealer does those set ups. I would want them to send a guy out to fix it OR tell them to help you do it For them. Step by step, maybe FaceTime? Then write a great review of service when they do that.

That should have all been taken care of by dealer when they rigged the boat. I would follow Timdelta’s advice above. Otherwise, congratulations on the new Bennington. Other than the above shortcomings from the rigging of your boat at the dealership, how is it? Hopefully great!

Lol. You guys must have the very best dealers. I left them a message asking and I’ll let you know the response!
Questions:
I’ve done a full resto on a boat so I’m handy with a wrench and a meter.

Lol. You guys must have the very best dealers. I left them a message asking and I’ll let you know the response!
Questions:
The trim is easily calibrated and should have been done before it left the dealer. The gas gauge I am not sure but presume it can be done…. I have a great Bennington dealer here in NH and don’t have to worry about things like this when taking delivery of a new boat. Sorry for your troubles….

Dan

My dealer sent a tech to my house to fix a wire issue.
It’s published somewhere how to do both of those issues. I don’t know where though, but I read it and skimmed over it.

Questions:
I have a 2022 24LX and have been having issues primarily with the fuel gauge but also at times with trim and even tach. For the fuel gauge, depending on setting, it either flashes between a full reading and zero or it reads at 3/4 when it is full (and then does drop as fuel is used).

My dealer has been really good at trying to resolve the issue, but having not yet been able to resolve after trying multiple fixes, we will be switching to a different type of gauge. Mine came with the digital vee three gauges and I am switching to a Simrad go7.

I have a 2022 24LX and have been having issues primarily with the fuel gauge but also at times with trim and even tach. For the fuel gauge, depending on setting, it either flashes between a full reading and zero or it reads at 3/4 when it is full (and then does drop as fuel is used).

My dealer has been really good at trying to resolve the issue, but having not yet been able to resolve after trying multiple fixes, we will be switching to a different type of gauge. Mine came with the digital vee three gauges and I am switching to a Simrad go7.
Thats a really nice boat and the Simrad is super $$$ nice!!
Now that you mention, it seems like my tach will show off on occasion as in at idle its normally around 1k but sometimes might show 2k and the reading when underway off accordingly. I'll take a picture of my gauges when I get a chance. Mine have needles so im assuming they are not digital. The fuel gauge is the most bothersome as its not a good feeling pulling away from the dock not knowing fuel level!
Regarding dealer...I think it would be a lot different if they were just across the lake or fairly close by. Unfortunately they are about 2 to 2.5 hours away pending on traffic and a good portion of that is on interstate which is worrisome. Also when towing home from initial purchase I had a trailer bearing overheat and two bearing caps come off and the trailer fishtailed horribly around 60mph. There are a lot of other issues I had thus my low expectations and that is all I will say on that.

A Simrad is not going to solve the issue .I have a go 9 . I have a 33 gallon tank ( long story ). On delivery it read 24 gallons . I added gas to fill it and it would not even take 4 gallons gage said 90% full and 29.5 gallons and it was to the top of the neck .I have the direct fill . We ( the dealer and myself ) have changed the size of the tank and reset the float /sensor . It will not read full .

That seems soooooo odd that the attempted fixes are not working for all of you. Weird.

A Simrad is not going to solve the issue .I have a go 9 . I have a 33 gallon tank ( long story ). On delivery it read 24 gallons . I added gas to fill it and it would not even take 4 gallons gage said 90% full and 29.5 gallons and it was to the top of the neck .I have the direct fill . We ( the dealer and myself ) have changed the size of the tank and reset the float /sensor . It will not read full .
I do worry that the Simrad by itself is not really going to change anything.. but honestly, it seems like our dealer really just isn't familiar with the vee three gauges and does not know how to configure them. They sell many more with the Simrad so they feel confident they can get it set up correctly. I sure hope they are right!

My new 24RTSB came with the wrong sending unit (its for a digital gauge) I have analog. It shows the trim all the way up!! Waiting for the dealer to fix it..

I do worry that the Simrad by itself is not really going to change anything.. but honestly, it seems like our dealer really just isn't familiar with the vee three gauges and does not know how to configure them. They sell many more with the Simrad so they feel confident they can get it set up correctly. I sure hope they are right!
Keep us posted,please .

I'm not familiar with Simrad products but it should be the same as any MFD.

On my Garmin fuel information is picked up by whatever you feed the unit. It could be the float gauge or the engine. If using float data, it will obviously be no more accurate than the float itself.

I have my engine data going to the Garmin via N2K so the fuel data is coming directly from the ECU and is based on real-time fuel consumption. In my view this is THE most accurate way to track fuel level. When it says how much fuel was used since the last fill-up, and then I refuel it is within tenths of a gallon accurate. This past trip it was within 2 tenths. It gives me a ton of confidence when I'm out there and can extend my time vs. constantly living in fear of needing a Seatow.

I'm pretty sure your Simrad can do this, but it may need some additional gateway or wiring.

I have the go-12 and the data it sees comes from float. Needless to say, it’s not very accurate. The Yamaha data screen is spot on though. Don’t remember the name of that screen.

Last edited:
I have the go-12 and the data it sees comes from float. Needless it’s not very accurate. The Yamaha data screen is spot on though. Don’t remember the name of that screen.

Can you change the input from the settings? Sounds like you're engine data is there so just need to switch?

EAF1976C-E407-4F41-B645-B4C574250A52.jpeg

I'm not familiar with Simrad products but it should be the same as any MFD.

On my Garmin fuel information is picked up by whatever you feed the unit. It could be the float gauge or the engine. If using float data, it will obviously be no more accurate than the float itself.

I have my engine data going to the Garmin via N2K so the fuel data is coming directly from the ECU and is based on real-time fuel consumption. In my view this is THE most accurate way to track fuel level. When it says how much fuel was used since the last fill-up, and then I refuel it is within tenths of a gallon accurate. This past trip it was within 2 tenths. It gives me a ton of confidence when I'm out there and can extend my time vs. constantly living in fear of needing a Seatow.

I'm pretty sure your Simrad can do this, but it may need some additional gateway or wiring.
The other day when I filled it up ( 29.5 gallons ) went home to get my wife ,( half mile ) got back on the boat ,gage read 27 gallons . By the time we got to the lake ,40 minutes no wake zone ,it read 29 gallons .

I am afraid to mess with it today. I’ve gone into some obscure menus and have messed it up in the past. It took me a long time to unscrew my “work” and I have family coming throughout the weekend. I may stop by dealer on Monday and talk to the guru, based on what they and he knows, it may not be something we can do. I’ve learned that oftentimes folks just do the same stuff over and over, so it could be a bad setup. My wife says I don’t trust anyone, she’s wrong, I just check the work. Amazing how many times I’m right. I’ve had employees tell me, “You always want everything right. “ Pretty stupid statement, IMO, don’t we all?

Simply trusting others to do it right is not a winning strategy, trust but verify!

There are some Youtube videos that are helpful including one from a competing pontoon manufacturer. The below is helpful because it illustrates that the Simrad gauge can pull either tank sender data or engine consumption data, or both if you so choose. How to set/configure those isn't 100% in this vid but if you check out a few others it should make sense. You can pull from the fuel device or vessel/engine. And given how sloppy the readings on from our fuel floats I personally would go engine.

Last edited:
Back