20SVL vs 20SVL-SPS

SEAGALZ

Reaction score
Just ordered a 20SVL family pontoon with a 115 VMAX Yamaha. Using on a River in NJ. Looking to just troll and anchor out for the day. Should I have gotten the SPS model. (3rd toon). TYIA

Personally, I would say yes. Others have added one after, it is most costly and it is not the same ( express toon ) it doesnt ride as well as one factory installed either .
The members here are very good at spending other people's money. You will probably get a lot of yes answers.

Welcome Seagalz! Yup, we’re good at spending other’s money! Trolling and anchoring, huh? How many people? River currents and wave action?

Hopefully some folks with a 115 will chime in on their experience. The tri-toon option will definitely improve capacity and ride performance.

What river, Delaware? Raritan?

The tritoon option is much better for overall function and performance but it's expensive - given your stated use and with you probably being on a budget I'd say it would have been overkill. But keep in mind, kids get older and want to do more water sports and as you get more comfortable with your pontoon you tend to want more capabilities. So what works today may not a few years down the road.

Just keep that in mind, don't have any regrets and make the most of it. We'll still be here and ready to give advice when you decide to go shopping for the next one!

Personally, I would say yes. Others have added one after, it is most costly and it is not the same ( express toon ) it doesnt ride as well as one factory installed either .
The members here are very good at spending other people's money. You will probably get a lot of yes answers.
Hi Jack M, just called salesman and told him that I want the express tubes!! I ordered the boat and never was shown that option. Only the sps!! Thanks for the response! Much appreciated

The tritoon option is much better for overall function and performance but it's expensive - given your stated use and with you probably being on a budget I'd say it would have been overkill. But keep in mind, kids get older and want to do more water sports and as you get more comfortable with your pontoon you tend to want more capabilities. So what works today may not a few years down the road.

Just keep that in mind, don't have any regrets and make the most of it. We'll still be here and ready to give advice when you decide to go shopping for the next one!
Definitely on a budget I have too many toys that I need to down size. I have a Yama FXHO that we take most of the time. TY for your post

Hi Jack M, just called salesman and told him that I want the express tubes!! I ordered the boat and never was shown that option. Only the sps!! Thanks for the response! Much appreciated
Do a search in the upper right corner for express toon . Get some other opinions ,you may not be happy with it.

Thank you for your reply, I’m 59 getting ready to retire.. I didn’t want to spend a load of money on a pontoon. I have a place on the Egg Harbor River. My last boat was a 22’ Cuddy Cabin. I just want to get this boat right as I am ordering it. Almost $8000 for extra tube. $3500 for express. So its either a 2 toon or the express. Now to find out which is better. Thanks again for input.

Hello Seagalz,
I have a 2021 Saltwater series S21, 2 log with the same VMAX 115 SHO, (very strong engine for a 115) we live in Florida and have many different opportunites to explore so we trailer it everywhere. With 2 people full fuel and gear, the boat runs 30 mph @5800 rpms ( 4 blade 15" pitch prop) We cruise the boat between 19-23 mph and it suits our needs perfectly. Many of the waterways we visit are mostly idle zones anyway so whether a pontoon or tritoon really isn't relevant. One thing I would like to do is skin the bottom. You can feel when crossing over wakes, the cross members catching the water and you feel the vibration slowing the boat down, not obnoxious but I know there is effciency to be gained there. Hope this helps!

Hello Seagalz,
I have a 2021 Saltwater series S21, 2 log with the same VMAX 115 SHO, (very strong engine for a 115) we live in Florida and have many different opportunites to explore so we trailer it everywhere. With 2 people full fuel and gear, the boat runs 30 mph @5800 rpms ( 4 blade 15" pitch prop) We cruise the boat between 19-23 mph and it suits our needs perfectly. Many of the waterways we visit are mostly idle zones anyway so whether a pontoon or tritoon really isn't relevant. One thing I would like to do is skin the bottom. You can feel when crossing over wakes, the cross members catching the water and you feel the vibration slowing the boat down, not obnoxious but I know there is effciency to be gained there. Hope this helps!
Thank you for your reply. It does. We had a place in Ft. Myers (Bayside Estates)while I was growing up. Loved boating there. Hopefully someday again

Thank you for your reply, I’m 59 getting ready to retire.. I didn’t want to spend a load of money on a pontoon. I have a place on the Egg Harbor River. My last boat was a 22’ Cuddy Cabin. I just want to get this boat right as I am ordering it. Almost $8000 for extra tube. $3500 for express. So its either a 2 toon or the express. Now to find out which is better. Thanks again for input.

I wouldn't overthink the performance side of things if you plan on staying in that body of water - if your goal is relaxing and cruising then the SPS, wave shield, etc will drive the cost way up while giving your particular use minimal value. Take some of those savings and maybe consider some of the creature comforts topside like the bimini or lighting options.

But if you think you'll want more performance down the road - maybe you'll trailer to a big lake somewhere - then those performance options come back into play. Almost like buying camping gear yes there can be big premiums for the stuff that can handle extreme environments, but it dramatically opens up your options for trips in the future. Good luck with your purchase!

You’re being smart by looking into options and considering your useage in advance to order the boat that fits your needs and uses. So easy to toss money at these things. Poto, as always, provides some good thoughts above…as has so many others. The underskinning might be something of material value to you for ride comfort and boat efficiency no matter what hull/pontoon set up you go with.

Personally, I think you will be happier with how the boat “sits” in the water with EITHER a traditional 2 pontoon hull or going big to the full tritoon hull (SPS). Given what you have said, I lean into what Poto said above myself. It really seems like a traditional dual pontoon set up will really meet your wants and needs - and allow you to save a lot of money in the process. You could keep the savings, or invest in other top side creature comforts that enrich the boating experience for everyone on board each trip out.

If you think you will trailer to other waters and want to do more serious water sports down the road, a tritoon might make sense for that. Otherwise, it’s a lot of money for a “maybe”. I would also say that because of how the express toon boats typically sit in the water, I believe you’d be happier with the 2 pontoon hull where it’s more level in the water. As stated above, you can still get nice results from a dual pontoon, a 115hp motor, and with underskinning…a more smooth ride doing so.

It’s super easy to spend a ton of money on these things. No use doing so on things that are very expensive but wont get utilized.

just wanted to chime in, that if you come back to Ft Myers, you should look into the tritoon. We are from Sanibel and previously owned 22 SLX with a Yamaha 115 VMax. The 115 worked well for us with 4-6 people just putting around and beaching the boat. But then we started exploring futher out and the ocean can get really rough and knock you around at times. To me, the boat didn’t feel heavy enough for the tougher currents. So we decided to buy s QXSB. The heavier boat feels much more stable especially with a 450 engine. But the 115 is a perfect engine for just cruising and beaching. The frame of the boat didn’t fare as well as the engine did during the hurricane. She started right up and purred like a kitten. Enjoy your new boat! You’ll love it!

I wouldn't overthink the performance side of things if you plan on staying in that body of water - if your goal is relaxing and cruising then the SPS, wave shield, etc will drive the cost way up while giving your particular use minimal value. Take some of those savings and maybe consider some of the creature comforts topside like the bimini or lighting options.

But if you think you'll want more performance down the road - maybe you'll trailer to a big lake somewhere - then those performance options come back into play. Almost like buying camping gear yes there can be big premiums for the stuff that can handle extreme environments, but it dramatically opens up your options for trips in the future. Good luck with your

just wanted to chime in, that if you come back to Ft Myers, you should look into the tritoon. We are from Sanibel and previously owned 22 SLX with a Yamaha 115 VMax. The 115 worked well for us with 4-6 people just putting around and beaching the boat. But then we started exploring futher out and the ocean can get really rough and knock you around at times. To me, the boat didn’t feel heavy enough for the tougher currents. So we decided to buy s QXSB. The heavier boat feels much more stable especially with a 450 engine. But the 115 is a perfect engine for just cruising and beaching. The frame of the boat didn’t fare as well as the engine did during the hurricane. She started right up and purred like a kitten. Enjoy your new boat! You’ll love it!
Thank you so much! That helped a lot!!!I am going with the 20 Svl sps (3toon) 115 vmax.. I have no desire to do the Ocean.. I have a Yama FXHO ski for that ! ‍♀️

Last edited:
Back