2275RCW/GCW Engine Choices - 250's

TomS

Reaction score
I'm considering the 2013 2275RCW Limited or 2375GCW with ESP and one of the 250hp engine options. I spent a lot of time studying the performance reports in this prop and power forum, but I'm really more interested in the overall "feel" of the engine (midrange punch and smooth linear flow of power) rather than pure top end speed. Also, maintaining grip in turns at speed is important since we're on a small lake.

There is one Benny dealer that sells mostly Verado, but also has Yamaha packages available. The other nearby Benny dealer is all Verado. I drove a competitor's boat (brand M 23' SHP) elsewhere with the Yamaha 250 SHO VMax (4.2L) and really liked the combo a lot. Quick, smooth, quiet, and very fast for a toon (easy 50+). The boat was propped very well, I'd say perfectly set up with a 20 pitch prop, lightly loaded. We just didn't like the layout at all.

I then went to the Club event last week where they had the 2275RCW ESP with the "other" Yamaha 250 (3.3L TX), not the SHO, for water demo. The 2275/TX wasn't nearly as snappy as the SHO I drove, but the ESP still had decent top end speed (~45), plenty of pull out of the hole, with good grip in turns. RPM's seemed about right too, though I don't know what prop they had on it. Both demo's had 4 people aboard. So, it could be any number of factors that led to this - prop, balance, engine, fuel, etc. The Bennington guys thought it was because the other boat was lighter, actually not so, according to the specs.The SHP is actually heavier, spec'd at 3125# while the 2275RCW is 2799#, both plus gear, fuel, motor, etc. Of course they may be a lot different if put on a scale B)

I haven't yet ridden in or driven a Verado powered boat and there just aren't any demo's out there at this time of the season. Unfortunately, I also didn't get to compare a 2275/SHO either. Brand M avoids Verado's altogether, for their own reasons.

So now I'm really curious for those that have experience with more than one or more of these 3 motors, particularly Verado, what do you think? Not so much about whether you're a Merc or Yammy fan, rather how do they "feel" on your boat? Was there anything about the way they performed that made you chose one over the other if you had a choice? By the way, both dealers are very good, longstanding and solid dealers, typical Bennington, so I can count on excellent service either way.

Hey TomS, I know you asked for people with experience with multiple motors, I don't have that. I DO have a 2275RCW with a 200hp SHO, and I think it is a great motor. It has a great look for starters, a lot of people comment on it, sounds phenomenal, still quite quiet will cruising (also commented on), it is one of the lightest motors out there. And I will have to look again in my book, I know the 200hp is tuned to run on 87 octane, and I believe the 225hp and 250hp are actually on 89 octane as opposed to 91, that's 5 cents per liter saved here in Canada, (you crazy southerners can figure out your difference! :) ) as for the Verado, I have no experience whatsoever, but my Yamaha guy says they suck! Haha just kidding everyone, note the 'Yamaha guy said'

Derrick

Thanks Derrick. That "multiple" probably wasn't a fair question at all as not too many people get that opportunity other than dealers and Bennington product people. I suspect the SHO's light weight is most likely a key factor. With the extended platforms it probably changes the CG/balance of a shorter boat quite a bit. The 250 SHO does indeed require 89 octane. We just have one marina but the good news is they only sell a premium blend, ethanol free fuel at their pump ($5 a gallon!). Oh, and I DO like the looks of the VMax very much B)

Keep in mind that you want to give more weight to whichever brand is the easiest to get serviced in your area.

If everyone around you services Mercury but only one guy services Yamaha, and then not very often, you should take that into account.

Keep in mind that you want to give more weight to whichever brand is the easiest to get serviced in your area.

If everyone around you services Mercury but only one guy services Yamaha, and then not very often, you should take that into account.
Yes I definitely considered that as a key factor. We only have one marina on the lake and they're Honda and just starting with Merc. No one there is Verado certified yet. Both of the Bennington dealers are within 10 miles of our lake so that's not a problem. One of them has Yamaha as does a third dealer with the brand M boats. All do on water or pick up and deliver service for a reasonable fee, which is pretty normal around here.

Yes I definitely considered that as a key factor. We only have one marina on the lake and they're Honda and just starting with Merc. No one there is Verado certified yet. Both of the Bennington dealers are within 10 miles of our lake so that's not a problem. One of them has Yamaha as does a third dealer with the brand M boats. All do on water or pick up and deliver service for a reasonable fee, which is pretty normal around here.
Love my Honda !!! I have had Hondas on 2 of my 3 Benningtons. Gerry

Last edited by a moderator:
Love my Honda !!! I have had Hondas on 2 of my 3 Benningtons. Gerry
Gerry,

I had one of the first Honda (carb'd) 45's on a Harris 240 Classic and it performed quite well over the years. I'm sure the new 250 is sweet, but there isn't much info from anyone who actually owns one. I also found it very difficult to buy the boat at one place and the Honda at another. Let's just say It was not a good outcome in general. I approached the local dealer about a 250 Honda and for many of the same reasons it just didn't make sense. If they sold Bennington it might be a different story.

Tom

Absolutely love the 250 verado. I have yet to play with propping and I have the heavy boat package.

The drive by wire and smart gauges are amazing, it took alittle getting used to not using a cable. Power is instant, when I go out and play I can throw my self around to the oh shit point so holding in a turn is no problem. The supercharged motor just grabs, ie simple cruise and come up to crowded channel entry, move the throttle and it's smooth and there, gone and out of the way safely from the nuts.

I do believe that I'm leaving lot of potential laying there- prop? Jack plate? Both

I get more compliments on the motor than anything else.

Fuel economy- 25ft rcw and I run tached out alot and I don't hit the pump as often as I thought I would.

I did not like the Honda, just me. I thought it had less comparable power.

I too drove a M 25 ses shp with the Yamaha and was leaning that way till I drove the verado.

I guess that is why there is more than one manufacturer out there. My dealer had a 2011 2575 ESP with 18 hours on it with a 250 Verado. I drove it and it was very nice, but nothing to make me regret my Honda. The wire drive does have a different feel. Only problem I had with the Verado was the"cutting edge" technology and limited mechanics. Maybe that has been corrected and or will come with time. Wish I could have made Elkhart and had a chance to drive other craft. Gerry

Thanks all for great inputs!

Hi Tom,

I have a similar setup that you are looking at. 2011 2275 RCW with Yamaha 250 SHO. Power is good all the way to top end with good mid range punch. Especially appreciate this much engine when we have a lot of guests aboard. More guests/heavier cooler for beer = need for a lot of power. I'm pretty sure I would have been equally happy with the Mercury Verado if I had chosen that setup. My dealer is a big time off shore fisherman/captain and he just prefers Yamaha so that is why I chose the Yamaha SHO.

After talking with a couple of the great folks who've posted here, I had a chance to drive a demo boat (25' Harris PIII) today with a Verado 225 on it and really liked the feel of the motor a a lot. I need to let it settle in a bit, but I'm certainly leaning that way at the moment. Both are great engines for sure. I have more local service options available for the Merc, so that factors in as well.

Thanks again to everyone here. Hopefully I'll get this figured out in the next few days as my current 22' Harris/Johnzuki 50 sold in 2 days!

I noticed on the 2013 boat builder that when you select Verado it defaults for DTS rigging, but it doesn't really have any selection options for gauges (TBD).

For those with Verado's and R series, can someone describe what Bennington does with regard to SmartCraft gauges?

Do you get a MercMonitor gauge in one of the 3 spots on the 2275RCW helm? If so, what is in the other 2 places, just the standard silver analog tach and a 3-function gauge with SmartCraft to analog converters?

Also, I read somewhere that when you order the raised helm the seat post is actually shorter, so overall it's no higher than without it. Can anyone confirm that? I'm 6'2" so seeing over things when standing in front of the helmseat isn't a big deal for me.

Thanks,

Tom

My Bennington 2574GLi with 250 Verado Pro came with 2 Smartcraft Merc gauges that cover just about anything you would want, mpg, water temp, air temp, rpm, trim, all kinds of info. I think they have two pod or three pod panels, depending on which way you decide to go.

Also, the Verado is fantastically strong out of the hole and midrange. I really have to ease into the throttle when pulling skiiers up, even big guys because it has so much pull. Glad I got one myself.

I read the same thing about the raised helm. In my opinion that would be ok to end up with the same overall seat height, as I would like the gauges and helm be a bit higher to gain better in/out of the seat access. However, I am not sure if the seat post actually is shorter or not.

I noticed on the 2013 boat builder that when you select Verado it defaults for DTS rigging, but it doesn't really have any selection options for gauges (TBD).

For those with Verado's and R series, can someone describe what Bennington does with regard to SmartCraft gauges?

Do you get a MercMonitor gauge in one of the 3 spots on the 2275RCW helm? If so, what is in the other 2 places, just the standard silver analog tach and a 3-function gauge with SmartCraft to analog converters?

Also, I read somewhere that when you order the raised helm the seat post is actually shorter, so overall it's no higher than without it. Can anyone confirm that? I'm 6'2" so seeing over things when standing in front of the helmseat isn't a big deal for me.

Thanks,

Tom

My Bennington 2574GLi with 250 Verado Pro came with 2 Smartcraft Merc gauges that cover just about anything you would want, mpg, water temp, air temp, rpm, trim, all kinds of info. I think they have two pod or three pod panels, depending on which way you decide to go.

Also, the Verado is fantastically strong out of the hole and midrange. I really have to ease into the throttle when pulling skiiers up, even big guys because it has so much pull. Glad I got one myself.

I read the same thing about the raised helm. In my opinion that would be ok to end up with the same overall seat height, as I would like the gauges and helm be a bit higher to gain better in/out of the seat access. However, I am not sure if the seat post actually is shorter or not.
Thanks for the confirmation on this. I may try for 3 and drop a MercMonitor in the middle if they'll do it for me. If not it's pretty much plug and play as long as there is a hole for it.

My dealer said the helm is raised 4", the seatpost dropped 2" for a net increase of 2" in seat height. I'm 6'2" so I'm not sure whether it's worth it or not. My test drive of a Verado 225 convinced me to go with the Verado 250 Pro. I read quite a few of your posts, among others, and it definitely helped me to make the decision to go that way. I'm sure it will be a great motor for this boat too.

250 Etec. So smooth and the power is amazing. Boat is fast and light. Have a picture in my gallery.

250 Etec. So smooth and the power is amazing. Boat is fast and light. Have a picture in my gallery.
Very nice boat and engine in your pics!

None of my 3 local dealers sell Etec, Suzukis, or Hondas, so Mercury and Yamaha are pretty much the only options that make sense for us.

At this point, I've settled on the Verado 250 Pro so, while it certainly won't be the fastest toon out there, I expect it will provide great all around performance for our needs.

Back