22sl

liljake83

Reaction score
hey all ive been looking at a new 2012 22sl with the tripple pontoon package and the 115hp outboard dealer claims 36 mph and that is what is shown on benningtons web site is this true in real world conditions it seems pretty fast for only a 115hp motor what do you guys think?

Lil Jake -

Welcome to the forum!

And, yes, it will go that fast.

We recently bought a 2012 24 SSL with a 115 HP and we get 35 MPH with 3-4 people in the boat. Note that our boat has 6 strakes (2 strakes on each of the 3 tubes) on the Express Package, and in my opinion, these help significantly in reaching that speed. Note that our boat is 2 feet longer (so a bit heavier), so I would think the 22 would go a little faster. I would say the video is right on.

You may want to read the thread on the 24 SSL which is (currently) near the bottom of the page that this thread is listed on. You will find lots of thoughts and comments in that thread that are similar to the question you are asking.

Dano

Last edited by a moderator:
hey all ive been looking at a new 2012 22sl with the tripple pontoon package and the 115hp outboard dealer claims 36 mph and that is what is shown on benningtons web site is this true in real world conditions it seems pretty fast for only a 115hp motor what do you guys think?
Hi Jake, welcome to the Club! Just be sure to add the lifting strakes option and Express package and you will acheive this speed! TB B)

ok thanks for all your insight but i am a little confused i thought the express package already came with the lifting strake option?

ok thanks for all your insight but i am a little confused i thought the express package already came with the lifting strake option?
Express package includes lifting strakes on the center express tube. Additional lifting strakes on the outside tubes are optional! TB

You really want the lifting strakes installed by the factory. Best time to do it is during construction of your toons.

darn i was hoping to get the one they had in stock how much speed do you guys think i would lose without strakes on the outside tubes? also if i did special order i see that there are sealed and not sealed strakes whats the difference in performance basicly what do you guys recommend?

darn i was hoping to get the one they had in stock how much speed do you guys think i would lose without strakes on the outside tubes? also if i did special order i see that there are sealed and not sealed strakes whats the difference in performance basicly what do you guys recommend?
Sealed versus non-sealed makes no difference in performance. Sealed is selected in some saltwater applications to stop salt water intrusion.

ok thanks for all the info but how much mph would you lose without the additional lifting strakes on the outside pontoons
3 to 5 mph on average, depending on engine choice, driver expertise, passenger/gear/fuel weights, etc. This package will likely be in the 30-32 mph range without additional strakes. PLEASE go to the dealer for test ride and further info! :)

Back