22SV - Twin Elliptical vs SPS Tritoon

Reaction score
Hello, I’m new to posting on the form but have been a long time reader. This group always seems to have helpful insight so figured I share my situation and get other owners thoughts.

Currently own a mid 2000s 22’ Bennington Sedona and looking to upgrade. I’m in the market looking to buy a new 2024 22SV. Debating between the twin elliptical (32” pontoons) with and a SPS tritoon. Would get the 150hp Yamaha on the twin elliptical and probably 200hp on the tritoon. Would love to hear feedback from people with either. We boat in costal Delaware Bays which can get a bit choppy and are trying to decide if the upgrade to the tritoon is worth the extra 8-10k. While I know it’s not quite an apples to comparison these are the options based off of what’s still in inventory. Would love to hear any feedback people can provide on performance and ride/comfort (especially in a bit choppier water). Usually have 4 people and a dog on board but ocassionally have a larger crowd.

Thanks for the help and any input is appreciated!

It also depends what your use will be , if you plan on water sports a tri is better suited . Horse power you will never purchase for as low of a cost as you will than at the time of initial purchase .

Thanks for the link, I have been exploring on there too but also hoping to see if anyone had real world experience comparing the two and specifically ride

Several members have the twin ellipticals , probably not active on the forum today .

My Ellipticals had a Yamaha 90 h.p. (first boat? so it did sit higher because of less weight. Tritoons sit nice even with big motors.
If you don't like the way your Pontoon sits in the water we do have members that have put sand bags in the bow of your boat.

I had the twin Elips in my 2011 2275 RCW with a 150hp Pro Xs. I boat on Saginaw bay and Lake Huron in MIchigan. I thought the ride was great even in the "chop" those big bodies of water can produce. Rode high in the water but did "slide" in turns like a pontoon. When I first bought it, Bennington limited the HP to 150. But in 2013ish, the gave a upgrade that if you deleted 1 passenger capacity, a larger motor pod, etc, you could go up to a 200hp. It was called a mega pan upgrade.

As others have said, if your gonna do water sports, probably the SPS is the way to go, but we still tossed the kids around on a tube now and then.

Either package you get, you'll want to do the lifting strakes and underdeck waveshield. Both of them make a huge difference. I also recommend the rough water package with the extra bracing at the stern and the splash fins.
Todd

I’ve been running a 21L This season. SPS Tritoon with a Yamaha 150 Sho Max. I had on old 2001 twin toon Bennington with a 70 HP Yamaha which was the max. Rated HP for the boat. The ride is much smoother in choppy water and the power is enough to tube and water ski with 8 people on board. My model has a 150 hp max. Limit. If you can get 200 I would go for it. I never heard anyone say, my engine is too powerful for my boat. Underpowered, yes.

I have neither, but from what I understand, both the SPS and elliptical will get you up over the waves rather than plowing through them. As such, like Jack mentioned, it comes down to usage. The elliptical will corner pretty much like a two toon while the SPS will behave more like a V-bottom hull. I know that there are a few folks on this forum that love their ellipticals, but the majority of folks have either a standard two toon or a tri-toon.

If I had to guess, I’d also say that a tri-toon probably would have a higher resale if for no other reason than ellipticals are less common and a bit more unknown.

My two cents for what it’s worth…

Hello, I’m new to posting on the form but have been a long time reader. This group always seems to have helpful insight so figured I share my situation and get other owners thoughts.

Currently own a mid 2000s 22’ Bennington Sedona and looking to upgrade. I’m in the market looking to buy a new 2024 22SV. Debating between the twin elliptical (32” pontoons) with and a SPS tritoon. Would get the 150hp Yamaha on the twin elliptical and probably 200hp on the tritoon. Would love to hear feedback from people with either. We boat in costal Delaware Bays which can get a bit choppy and are trying to decide if the upgrade to the tritoon is worth the extra 8-10k. While I know it’s not quite an apples to comparison these are the options based off of what’s still in inventory. Would love to hear any feedback people can provide on performance and ride/comfort (especially in a bit choppier water). Usually have 4 people and a dog on board but ocassionally have a larger crowd.

Thanks for the help and any input is appreciated!
I also boat the same waters. Indian River and Rehoboth bays. Sometimes we ride up the Lewes canal to the Delaware bay. I strongly suggest talking to Shorts Marine and/or other owners with tri toons. They do indeed have a smoother ride than a twin log pontoon. Mine is a twin log toon that works well enough for me. However everyone is different in their wants and needs. Whichever you decide, I highly suggest a solid keel as our waters are somewhat shallow and it offers better protection for any toon. Above all else…Enjoy ⚓

Thank you all for the replys and info. Definitely leaning towards the tritoon for all the reasons above. Seems like the twin elliptical might be good enough but don’t want that feeling especially since I like to keep my boats for 10+ years. I know that either one would be a vast improvement from the toon I have now.

I also boat the same waters. Indian River and Rehoboth bays. Sometimes we ride up the Lewes canal to the Delaware bay. I strongly suggest talking to Shorts Marine and/or other owners with tri toons. They do indeed have a smoother ride than a twin log pontoon. Mine is a twin log toon that works well enough for me. However everyone is different in their wants and needs. Whichever you decide, I highly suggest a solid keel as our waters are somewhat shallow and it offers better protection for any toon. Above all else…Enjoy ⚓
Thanks for the info. We normally boat Rehoboth bay and Indian River near the inlet. Rehoboth always tends to be fine but when we are down fishing in the bay in front of the inlet is where I think the tritoon would really shine. Talking to Shorts so will see what they have to add as well.

I’ve been running a 21L This season. SPS Tritoon with a Yamaha 150 Sho Max. I had on old 2001 twin toon Bennington with a 70 HP Yamaha which was the max. Rated HP for the boat. The ride is much smoother in choppy water and the power is enough to tube and water ski with 8 people on board. My model has a 150 hp max. Limit. If you can get 200 I would go for it. I never heard anyone say, my engine is too powerful for my boat. Underpowered, yes.
Pretty similar situation. That’s great to hear about the ride. Current pontoon was underpowered so vowed to never make that mistake again. We really lose on performance when current boat is loaded up so want to make sure that’s not the case on the new one.

I had the twin Elips in my 2011 2275 RCW with a 150hp Pro Xs. I boat on Saginaw bay and Lake Huron in MIchigan. I thought the ride was great even in the "chop" those big bodies of water can produce. Rode high in the water but did "slide" in turns like a pontoon. When I first bought it, Bennington limited the HP to 150. But in 2013ish, the gave a upgrade that if you deleted 1 passenger capacity, a larger motor pod, etc, you could go up to a 200hp. It was called a mega pan upgrade.

As others have said, if your gonna do water sports, probably the SPS is the way to go, but we still tossed the kids around on a tube now and then.

Either package you get, you'll want to do the lifting strakes and underdeck waveshield. Both of them make a huge difference. I also recommend the rough water package with the extra bracing at the stern and the splash fins.
Todd
Great to hear from someone with experience with the elliptical. Definitely looking the packages you recommended as well.

Back