2375 RCW - Verado 200 Pro - Mounting hole advice

lilbuck

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2014 2375 RCW ESP with a 200 Verado Pro.  The dealer mounted the engine in the first hole from the top.  Both Bennington's and Mercury's performance bulletins suggest that the engine should be in the #2 hole.  Could this be a problem? 

I have about 18 hrs on it so its not broke in yet but the performance is not what I expected or was informed it would be.  They have me running a Enertia 15 x15p prop and at WOT I am running at 5760 RPM with low fuel, two people and necessary gear.  I have not checked my GPS MPH but the Smart Craft gauge says that I am running close to 40.  My wife's smart phone says about 37 MPH.  My guess is that her phone is closer to reality.  The Dealer was guessing in the low 40's and he is adamant that he installed the right prop. The owners manual states that the WOT range is 5800 - 6400 RPM with a goal to be in the upper half of that range. I am just out of the lower half of this range.  Could this be a problem?

My goal is to have the maximum performance out of this boat and motor without putting the motor at risk of lugging and eventual damage.  6200 RPM would be ideal.  If it came with an increase in MPH that would be great but not most important.  Having the engine last along time is my greatest concern.

So my question is: 

Do I have a rigging problem? 

Do I have a prop size problem? 

Do I have a paranoid new owner that needs to let things break-in problem?  

Or other?

Any Thoughts?

I am not an expert and others will likely chime in, but for mounting, I think the anti cavitation plate is supposed to be right at or below the surface of the water when you are trimmed up. Your rpms do seem a little low and I think most might recommend dropping pitch. I did not really experience a boost in my performance going from 18 hours to 40 hours, but I have the yamaha vmax sho. I feel for you as I have a similar problem and could not get my dealer to make a change.

I just purchased a 2014 2375 RCW ESP with a 200 Verado Pro.  The dealer mounted the engine in the first hole from the top.  Both Bennington's and Mercury's performance bulletins suggest that the engine should be in the #2 hole.  Could this be a problem? 

I have about 18 hrs on it so its not broke in yet but the performance is not what I expected or was informed it would be.  They have me running a Enertia 15 x15p prop and at WOT I am running at 5760 RPM with low fuel, two people and necessary gear.  I have not checked my GPS MPH but the Smart Craft gauge says that I am running close to 40.  My wife's smart phone says about 37 MPH.  My guess is that her phone is closer to reality.  The Dealer was guessing in the low 40's and he is adamant that he installed the right prop. The owners manual states that the WOT range is 5800 - 6400 RPM with a goal to be in the upper half of that range. I am just out of the lower half of this range.  Could this be a problem?

My goal is to have the maximum performance out of this boat and motor without putting the motor at risk of lugging and eventual damage.  6200 RPM would be ideal.  If it came with an increase in MPH that would be great but not most important.  Having the engine last along time is my greatest concern.

So my question is: 

Do I have a rigging problem? 

Do I have a prop size problem? 

Do I have a paranoid new owner that needs to let things break-in problem?  

Or other?

Any Thoughts?
I checked your basic numbers with the Mercury prop slip calculator HERE. 5760rpm is quite low with a light load, so something probably needs to change.

If you had 10% actual slip, which is very good, @5760rpm, 15 pitch, 1.85:1 gear ratio, that calculates to an even 40 mph tops with that prop, under the best conditions. Moving it up a click might, but I wouldn't expect a lot. I'd probably get the motor broken in at 20+ hours, then re-baseline and start looking at another prop such as 16p Enertia.

My 250 Pro is mounted on the third hole, which is probably a little higher than normal but it performs very well. Several others seem to be on the second hole.

My 250 Pro on a 2574GLI is mounted on the 2nd hole and works pretty well. I used a 16 enertia and settled on a 17. I think the 16 would be too much for your boat.

Back