23LSB W/250 SHO Owners

I have the reliance on a 15” pitch on my f200 and I’m happy with the performance. Agreed though that it isn’t the right one for your setup

Just as an update to my post above, I finally found the numbers on my Striker 4 and find that my top speed so far (only hit 6000 rpms for about 20 seconds in a strong head wind) is 47.5 mph. I'm sure when I'm past the 10 hour mark and race across the biggest lake on our chain on a calm day while playing with the trim I'll hit 50 with just me, my wife, and a full tank of gas. I will say I find that I like the "bite" of the 15.75 x 15 a lot. I'm going to stick with it, knowing I may be sacrificing a couple of miles per hour. Someday I'll have to calculate the "slip" of this prop - I suspect it will be low.

Glad to hear you're getting a SWS II prop.....you will love it. I guarantee it!!
If those numbers are accurate your slip is ridiculously low, almost non-existent (somewhere between 1-3%)! You got the lucky boat and motor apparently, congrats!

Potomachbassin' - the speed is from the onboard GPS (Garmin Striker 4) so I assume it is accurate and I also assume the tach is also accurate. I agree with you and that's why I commented that I thought the slip was low. That is also why I've decided to stay with this prop rather than trade to a 15.5 x 16 SWSII. Thanks for your comment.

Potomachbassin' - the speed is from the onboard GPS (Garmin Striker 4) so I assume it is accurate and I also assume the tach is also accurate. I agree with you and that's why I commented that I thought the slip was low. That is also why I've decided to stay with this prop rather than trade to a 15.5 x 16 SWSII. Thanks for your comment.

Well one of these days you might get the itch, so don't count out another prop down the road! :cool:But you have the best of both worlds right now, glad you got it dialed in!

Good point Viking - Yamaha props appear to have hubs that are not interchangeable. A Mercury prop will have a different square bore and need a hub kit. I had a Rubex 203B but am going to experiment with a Flo-Torq 4 to hopefully reduce clunk and vibration.
Potomacbassin - I am interested in what you find with the FloTorq 4 - please post after you have experimented!!!! Thank you.

Attachments

• Prop Hub Selector Mercury QuickSilver.JPG
    Prop Hub Selector Mercury QuickSilver.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 8
Potomacbassin - I am interested in what you find with the FloTorq 4 - please post after you have experimented!!!! Thank you.
Well - bottom line is I'm not all that impressed. The FT4 is a special two-piece design where the two halves of the hub are connected by titanium (IIRC) rods so it can flex. It does improve the shift clunk from my Rubex hub, so thumbs up there. Not quite Yamaha SDS soft and quiet, but barely discernible now.

But the prop rattle has gotten worse, which for me is actually more annoying given I can do a fair amount of idling around. I may double check that the thrust washer seated correctly but I was pretty sure about the install. The rubber hub on the Rubex may thud more but it also maintains more prop contact so it doesn't vibrate as much. The FT4 allows for up to 10% of free rotation from the shaft adapter to the hub, which helps with clunk but probably exacerbates the vibration.

We'll see how it goes in the next few months, but if it doesn't improve I may swap back.

Well - bottom line is I'm not all that impressed. The FT4 is a special two-piece design where the two halves of the hub are connected by titanium (IIRC) rods so it can flex. It does improve the shift clunk from my Rubex hub, so thumbs up there. Not quite Yamaha SDS soft and quiet, but barely discernible now.

But the prop rattle has gotten worse, which for me is actually more annoying given I can do a fair amount of idling around. I may double check that the thrust washer seated correctly but I was pretty sure about the install. The rubber hub on the Rubex may thud more but it also maintains more prop contact so it doesn't vibrate as much. The FT4 allows for up to 10% of free rotation from the shaft adapter to the hub, which helps with clunk but probably exacerbates the vibration.

We'll see how it goes in the next few months, but if it doesn't improve I may swap back.
Thank you!!!!!!!

I installed the Flotorq 4 on our Enertia 17P when we first got our boat. Our Mercury 150 shifts smoother and eliminated 90% of the vibration at idle. Made a BIG difference!

Back