23LSR w/ 200HP

AZThinkrs

Reaction score
We have a 23LSR on the way with a Mercury 200HP; will this be enough motor to pull a slalom skier?
Excited to take possession soon!

Should be. With the correct prop, you should be upper 30s to low 40s top speed with a light load and around mid 30s top speed with a modest load.

A Mercury Enertia prop would be the go-to recommendation.

Last edited:
Thanks! Was wondering if we should consider going up to the 250HP, but not sure if the LSR is rated to handle it and the difference in $ make sense. Thanks for your insight.

Thanks! Was wondering if we should consider going up to the 250HP, but not sure if the LSR is rated to handle it and the difference in $ make sense. Thanks for your insight.
The model (LSR) is NOT going to be what determines max motor, your tritoon hull will (SPS/SPS+/ESP).

I have a 24’ SSBXP SPS 200 Mercury Verado Pro with a 16p Enertia prop. Our motor is the performance version: i6 with a supercharger. Which 200HP Mercury are you getting? Prior two adding Sea Legs, I was 44-45 MPH at WOT lightly loaded, but also still had insane hole shot. I was 39 MPH at WOT loaded down, and still had amazing hole shot. FYI: Even with our Sea Legs now we can easily pop up a skier, tow huge tubs with 3-4 adults, etc...

Even a normal 200 HP Mercury is going to have plenty of power to get a skier up, slalom and otherwise. Our issue was NOT could we get them up. Our issue was not giving TOO MUCH throttle when trying to get a skier up. We had to throttle very carefully to avoid just yanking them forward and over, or the handles out of their hands.

Thus, there is zero need to go up to the SPS+ hull and a 250HP to slalom sky. Your 200 should handle it, especially if going with the performance version of the motor such as I did with the Verado Pro. That said, no one ever complains about too much HP...they just complain about the cost of it.

I hope my first hand experience is helpful.

That 200 will pull a skier out of the water and onto their face like a sprung mousetrap! It will be plenty especially since it will be either a V6 or V8.

As Deja noted it will come down to propping - any kind of significant drag like tubes or skiers and you may want to under-prop the boat a little for pulling power, at the expense of top speed. Also there are props specifically designed for heavier applications such as an Enertia ECO or Mirage Plus, vs just a plain Enertia. You can even play the 4-blade vs 3-blade game, but generally a 3-blade is the way to go with a lighter tritoon.

Check out the Mercury prop selector tool, and search the Bennington forum as it's probably a sure thing this question has been asked and answered previously.

Good luck!

Thank you for that detail, it gives me confidence on our set up. We are slated for the Mercury 4S 25 inch (Not sure where that rates in the Mercury family). The boat is set up as per the sales sheet to include a “Sealed Lift Str ESP/SPS UPG” and “SPS 23 Sri w/Tran fuel” which the dealer advised that would give the lift to get out of the hole, if I understood him correctly.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to respond, it is appreciated!

Thank you for that detail, it gives me confidence on our set up. We are slated for the Mercury 4S 25 inch (Not sure where that rates in the Mercury family). The boat is set up as per the sales sheet to include a “Sealed Lift Str ESP/SPS UPG” and “SPS 23 Sri w/Tran fuel” which the dealer advised that would give the lift to get out of the hole, if I understood him correctly.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to respond, it is appreciated!
That just means you have a 4stroke Mercury. It doesn’t designate which specific version of the newer Mercury 4 stroke 200HP. My guess is its the v6 and not the v8. The v8 would be a big upgrade, not the normal one, and since you are not specifying it, I’d think you are getting the normal 3.4l v6 - which is a great motor. Just be careful throttling it, and maybe get a hang of it before pulling that first skier. I think you’ll be surprised at its hole shot and pulling power - pleasantly surprised.

AZthinkrs I pull my wife and adult kids up on slalom skis, wakeboards, etc. etc. with a Mercury 150 with ease. It has a good quick hole shot to quickly get them out of the water. We had a 4.3L 220 HP I/O before this and I would say the hole shot is comparable.....You will not have any problem with your 200!

AZthinker, I can pull two slalom skiers out of the water with ease With a Yamaha 150. The fact is it will snap the rope out of both skiers if you don’t ease them out of the water. Keep in mind our water craft don’t really plane out like a deep v or ski boat. What you would need to be aware of is the number of people you have on the boat. The more and the heavier they are would be the major factor when considering HP. The 200 will be more than enough. Enjoy.

Back