24 SSL

Interesting comment on the "inside vs outside" regarding the strakes...

Does Bennington give you a choice, inside vs outside? I've not seen where they do, so let me know and I will look into it.

With the ESP package there are no strakes on the outside. I did not know that you could order the express package without outside strakes until someone came on here and stated that was the way thier boat was configured. Probably the easiest route would be to talk to your dealer. Also if you are trying to achieve the best performance you can with the 115 you should look at underskinning. I have seen claims of 2 - 3 mph with underskinning. This is something you can do aftermarket.

I will ask my dealer about the strake options. The boat is coming with the underskinning too, but I hadn't heard it helped that much, so I'm glad it has it. I thought it was mostly for sound.

Thanks for the tip!!!

Bennington's ESP video clearly shows strakes on the inside of the outer tubes. No question. They talk about it specifically at the 4-minute mark in the video.

Here's how I see the differences:

ESP: $6000

Center tube is elliptical with strakes on both sides.

Outer tubes have strakes mounted on the INSIDE of each outer tube.

Full wave shield

Standard Package: $5000 + $1000 if you want strakes.

Adds center tube (I assume round not elliptical, but longer than Express package's center tube?).

No strakes. Can be added for $1000 (but then why not just get ESP?)

Full wave shield.

Hydraulic steering included.

Express Package: $1800 + $1000 if you want strakes.

Center tube is round, not elliptical (and is shorter???). It has strakes on both sides of the center tube, just like ESP does.

Outer tubes have NO strakes, but these can be added as an upgrade for $1000. From photos, it appears they put these on the OUTSIDE of the outer tubes.

Modified wave shield (looks like it just covers the area between the tubes, and doesn't go all the way to the front end of the boat).

My dealer is checking with the factory on this to see if putting the strakes on the inside of the outer tubes on the Express Package is an option or not.

I assume Bennington has figured out the optimal configuration for both packages, and it very well may be the best configuration is different between ESP and Express with regards to the location of the strakes on the outer tubes.

If someone has Express with strakes on the INSIDE of the two outer tubes, I'd like to hear from you! I have scoured the forums and can't find the reference Boomer's Dad is remembering.

I will report back what the dealer tells me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmm I can't find that post either. It's possible I misread it somewhere. It would not be the first time I've made a mistakew :lol: If nothing else I've given your dealer something to do :D

Please let us know what you find out.

When do get your test drive?

Boomer, I swear I read this post about 45-60 days ago too. I remember the poster specifying their strakes on the inside only.

I wonder if it was Ben&Suzy, all his posts are deleted.

Here's what was passed on to me from the factory today:

Bennington has researched this, and they determined placement is better on the outside. According to their research, strakes on the outside reduce handling only slightly, if anything at all. The advantage is a speed increase of ~3 MPH. Strakes on the inside, however, has disadvantages. The speed gain is is small, if any at all. They cause a lot more splashing which results in a "wet" ride.

That's what was passed along to me. This seems to conflict with the ESP package (which puts the strakes on the inside)... But, that's an entirely different set up altogether, and the results could easily be different.

Bottom line, Bennington has researched it, so I'll have to trust them on this.

Oh yeah, I'm hoping to test drive (and hopefully bring it home) the week of Labor day. Can't wait!

Bennington has researched this, and they determined placement is better on the outside. According to their research, strakes on the outside reduce handling only slightly, if anything at all. The advantage is a speed increase of ~3 MPH. Strakes on the inside, however, has disadvantages. The speed gain is is small, if any at all. They cause a lot more splashing which results in a "wet" ride.

That's what was passed along to me. This seems to conflict with the ESP package (which puts the strakes on the inside)... But, that's an entirely different set up altogether, and the results could easily be different.

We spend endless hours testing strakes and foil placement. The ESP has FOILS on the inside of the outer tubes. These resemble strakes but are thinner/shaped differently. STRAKES are used on the center elliptical tube for lift. FOILS help the ESP grip and bank in a turn. STRAKES are used on two-tube ellipticals, two-tube rounds, Express tubes and standard performance packages to give the boat lifting/planing ability and increased speed. Trust us and enjoy the ride! TB

I can't help but wonder if you don't have that backwards. Re-read your post and I think you'll see what I mean.

The thing that really caught my eye was the idea that strakes that are completely under the deck and inboard of the outer tubes could cause a wet ride.

I reread it. I see what you mean. But, that's exactly how the info was passed on to me. No mistakes.

Exactly what a "wet" ride is, I don't know. It could be referring to forward spray from under the deck that actually goes forward just far enough to get blown above the bow and actually gets people wet. Or, maybe it's simply referring to the extra violent spray below deck caused by the strakes being so close to the strakes on the center tube that may cause performance problems, but doesn't actually get anyone on the boat "wet"? Obviously under deck spray is an issue, or there wouldn't be things like under deck skinning. All this is probably interrelated. But, what do I know. I'm really just thinking out loud and making up stuff as I go here...

One other thing that comes to mind regarding strakes on the inside and their not allowing for any speed increase of any significance (compared to putting the strakes on the outside) is that the inside strakes may cause just enough air and turbulence into the water, just ahead of the prop, that negates the benefits? That seems very plausible to me. The outer strakes would not do this, being farther from the path of the prop. Fins (like TB mentioned are used on the ESP package) wouldn't either. Again, I don't know, I'm just trying to put the pieces together.

What REALLY alleviates my concerns about all this though, is the response by TB above. THANK YOU! I figured Bennington probably did lots of research and testing on this, perhaps even some computer modeling and simulation, but to actually see it in writing, is worth a LOT to me. There's obviously a lot of interesting physics going on below deck that I, for one, am unaware of (but would love to hear more about). Sometimes you just have to trust the experts...

Bottom line for me, is TB says "trust us and enjoy the ride", and I plan to do both! Thanks TB!

Hey Kaydano, Read sweetwaters post. Express package strakes on the inside only. Disregard, I see you asked the question

The "snuggle seat" is what the wife wants. (By the way, that's what "SSL" stands for, "Snuggle Seat Lounger"!) She sees her and the kids snuggling up in that seat. I can see her point.

But, I don't see any of my poker buddies snuggling up in it!!! The GCW (split loungers) would be a MUCH less awkward option "for the guys".

It was a tough call in my mind, but the wife is set on that snuggle seat.

So....

Snuggle seat, here we come!

I tend to think you may regret getting the 115.. First as your kids get older they will want to go faster and faster... Second you will constantly find yourself running it near full throttle and fuel consumption will play a factor in long term cost .. Third when you get rid of the boat, it will be a much easier resale if you go with the 150hp...

Went to see the boat yesterday (2 hour trip to the dealer). Here's a picture of the new console.

This boat has strakes on both sides of all three tubes (express package with extra strakes option). I'm hoping to test drive this next week.

Photos of the 24 SSL. First photo shows strakes on the outside. Second shows them on the inside (of the outer tube). Center tube on express comes with strakes on both sides. So, total of 6 strakes on the boat.

Do you happen to have a pic of the back of the center tube? Just wondering how it finishes by the transom. Thanks if possible!

Nice pics. I'm looking forward to your performance results. I still say 27 - 28 mph tops. I will give you a warning, do not drive a boat with ESP :p

I had to mess with the contrast and brightness quite a bit to get the center tube to show up (it was very dark in the original photo), but this should give you a feel for the length of the express tube (center tube). Due to the angle of the shot, you can just barely see the tip of the center tube. If you'd have asked me before I went I would have gotten a much better photo. What I remember from crawling under it is it pretty much goes back as far as it possibly can, all the way back to where the motor pod starts. If I had to guess, I'd say it's 80% of the length of the outer tubes (give or take).

3rd Tube.jpg

Back