24' SXP with 200 hp speed/performance concerns

Glad you stuck to your guns and got it all worked out!

Hopefully this tech learned a lesson as well and will use this newly gained knowledge for the next guys boat. Now get out there and put the hammer down!

Performance Update:

Hitting 44 mph gps with four people on board, light gear, 3/4 of a tank of gas at WOT, about 6400 rpm.

:Like:

I am curious to see how it does with less gas and weight v. full tank and boat load of people, etc...

That said, skipping across the lake at 44 mph yesterday produced huge grins on me.  It also produced the comment "can we throttle back a bit" from my wife.  

I don't think we are on the same page yet for desired boating experience.   :lol:

Performance Update:

Hitting 44 mph gps with four people on board, light gear, 3/4 of a tank of gas at WOT, about 6400 rpm.

I am curious to see how it does with less gas and weight v. full tank and boat load of people, etc...

That said, skipping across the lake at 44 mph yesterday produced huge grins on me.  It also produced the comment "can we throttle back a bit" from my wife.  

I don't think we are on the same page yet for desired boating experience.   :lol:

Sounds like you're right where you need to be. It does get a bit windy at speed, one of the (few) disadvantages of the toon.

Hate to say it but at 6400, you might be able to go up 1 click in prop pitch if you want a little more top end. You may be over rev'd with a light load.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great performance Viking!  You have to be thrilled with the performance. Fortunately for me my wife likes the speed also :D .

Hate to say it but at 6400, you might be able to go up 1 click in prop pitch if you want a little more top end. You may be over rev'd with a light load.

I was thinking the same thing when on the boat yesterday. Momentary excitement followed by "do I need to mess with this again...?"  :eek:

I am happy where I am at and somewhat tired of messing with the new boat vs. just enjoying the new boat.

If my RPM's get any higher under a lighter load, it will force me to try the ss enertia 17 pitch.  If they don't go up any more, then I will likely stay where I am at.

Sounds like you hit right on the money!! Get out and enjoy it! The smiles only get bigger when you pass all those glass boat!! :)  

You're dialed in if you're at max rpms with a light load. You can always back off the throttle a bit and not go full throttle with a light load.

In my opinion, that's a good trade off to ensure you are still in the range with a heavy load. 

I wouldn't mess with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you're right where you need to be. It does get a bit windy at speed, one of the (few) disadvantages of the toon.

Tom is right here.  If you can, I'd try the 17 pitch (sounds like you're on a 16 pitch now);  it should put you right on the money.

I was thinking the same thing when on the boat yesterday. Momentary excitement followed by "do I need to mess with this again...?"  :eek:

I am happy where I am at and somewhat tired of messing with the new boat vs. just enjoying the new boat.

If my RPM's get any higher under a lighter load, it will force me to try the ss enertia 17 pitch.  If they don't go up any more, then I will likely stay where I am at.

I think you need to enjoy the boat. Run it this season and think about it this winter when you are missing the boating. Plenty of time during those long Michigan winter hours. :(

IS the motor all the way down? I go back and forth on if I should raise mine one hole.

Performance Update:

Changing a prop is quick and easy, you can do it on a beach if you want.  I think you should go up one more pitch.  I was where you were at for rpm and went up one more pitch.  Gave me about 4mph more.

IS the motor all the way down? I go back and forth on if I should raise mine one hole.

The only way to know would be to try it. Each combination is going to be a little different. If you can do it yourself it's a cheap experiment. I trailer so adjusting mine is about 15 minutes on the trailer. 

Performance Update:

Yes I'm completely jealous! :)  I have only been able to touch 42mph on a few occasions. Some day when I grow I'm going to have me a 350!! 

So happy to hear the tuning paid off for you! Either way still an awesome boat!

IS the motor all the way down?

It is all the way down. At least with my Mercury, all indications are that its in the right spot.  Not sure though if that would be entirely true with a different motor such as your Yamaha.  

It is all the way down. At least with my Mercury, all indications are that its in the right spot.  Not sure though if that would be entirely true with a different motor such as your Yamaha.  

If the motor is all the way down, in the water, it is most likely too low for best performance.

If the motor is all the way down, in the water, it is most likely too low for best performance.

I feel confident we have it right where it should be.  Ventilation plate is right where it should be in regards to the bottom of the boat, and the water surface based on Mercury recommendations, and some of the information on this website.

I could change it 1-2 holes and raise it to get a potential slight speed bump, but I would then get some cavitation in turns that I do not want.  

Thus, based on cavitation at other levels, feedback, and the link below, I think we have it where it should be.  That said, that is for a 200 Mercury Verado on an SPS SXP.  I don't know if it would be different on a different model, hull, or engine type/manufacturer.

Engine Height

I feel confident we have it right where it should be.  Ventilation plate is right where it should be in regards to the bottom of the boat, and the water surface based on Mercury recommendations, and some of the information on this website.

I could change it 1-2 holes and raise it to get a potential slight speed bump, but I would then get some cavitation in turns that I do not want.  

Thus, based on cavitation at other levels, feedback, and the link below, I think we have it where it should be.  That said, that is for a 200 Mercury Verado on an SPS SXP.  I don't know if it would be different on a different model, hull, or engine type/manufacturer.

Engine Height

If you have it where you feel comfortable then I wouldn't mess with it.  Different boats sit differently so the height of your motor is not really determined completely where it is in relation to bottom of your boat.  When at cruising speed and trimmed where it needs to be you should see the anti-ventilation plate right on top of the water, if not it is causing drag under the water.  Some people are ok with that though.

As you know, if you want more HP just send your ECM to simonmotorsports and they will program it to 300-325HP for you for about $900 :)

As you know, if you want more HP just send your ECM to simonmotorsports and they will program it to 300-325HP for you for about $900 :)

Oh such a temptation... B)  

Of course, I cannot get my wife to stick with me at WOT for more than a couple of minutes as is.   <_<

Oh such a temptation... B)  

Of course, I cannot get my wife to stick with me at WOT for more than a couple of minutes as is.   <_<

It will cost more than $900 but you could upgrade wives too. (Just kidding, based on your purchases so far sounds like she is a keeper) 

Back