250 Pro XS. 17 Pitch Enertia

Gunslinger

Reaction score
I have a 2274 with ESP Package, with just me, top down an 1/4 tank of fuel I am getting 46.2 on gps.. With 5 people, 3/4 fuel an top up I can still get 42.6... Rpms are around 55-5600 All this with hardly no trim and seems to run better with more fuel. Motor is second hole, so I don’t think will gain much just dropping one hole.. Talking with local prop guy an he suggests I go down to a 15 pitch. Anyone running this combo, I was shooting for 50+, but not sure if it’s achievable... Also, toons are clean...
Thanks for any input.

I have a Yamaha 250 on a 23RCW with a Salt Water II 17 pitch and my RPM range is at or under yours but my top speed isn't breaking 40 so I'm getting ready to go to a 15 as well, probably at the end of the season.

What motor are you running?? A 15 pitch will definitely bring up the rpm bug I’m not sure it’ll push you to 50?

Also a 250 esp guy. You mention almost no trim, is that because the prop ventilates and loses traction when you trim out? My boat will pick up 500 Rpms or so and 2-3 mph when trimmed properly putting me in the top of my rev range and right around 47-49 depending on water conditions

Yes, prop starts to ventilate an also boat will start to porpoise if you start trimming out.

What prop you running an rpm range
I'm a Yamaha guy with a slightly smaller boat (2250) but I'm 25' LOA. Currently running a 15 1/2 x 16 pitch swsII. I can get to the rev limiter lightly loaded ~6200. Really never light so it is pretty good. Will still hover around 6000 with my normal load. May switch to a 17 pitch swsII if i can get my hands on one to try. Surprised that enertia isn't hooking up better. Seems everyone loves them. You'll get dialed in. Keep working.

Last edited:
Also, what is the rpm range on that motor. Just curious to what your leaving on the table as your performance isn't too shabby

Gunslinger is that the newest generation 250 pro xs?

Can you measure the prop shaft centerline height relative to the bottom of the tube?

I'm one of few with a similar combo and similar goals running the motor in the highest possible position but I am hesitant to recommend that to anyone without some further testing.
So far I have seen no negative issues at all.

My thought is that your Enertia prop is borderline too small in diameter for a high hp, high drag pontoon.
It is wanting to be buried deeper than optimal in order to stay hooked up.
The fact that it likes the heavier fuel load is a strong indication, in my opinion, that you need more blade area.
I'm still learning - could be wrong, but I think we all need to be talking prop centerline measurement below pad to account for different motor types makes and models.

I’m leaning at goin with the new mercury eco prop that is a 16” Diameter an 16.5 pitch. Hopefully my Rpms will go up about 3-400 with new prop. Should gain about 100 with just the prop and should gain 2-300 if I’m able to trim up a little by goin with a 16 inch prop instead of the 14.5 inch.

Those are IMPRESSIVE numbers! I have a 25QSB running a 350 Verado with the stock Enertia Prop. 14.5x17p. Mine is rigged in the top hole. Trimmed at 6200RPM I've reached 50.6MPH on the GPS with 1/2 tank of fuel and 3 people on board. Both biminis deployed!

Back