2550 GSR & Yamaha 250 SHO

MH663

Reaction score
Indian Lake, OH is where the boat resides.
Just curious if anyone else out there has a 2550 ESP and 250 SHO.  If so, what are the specs on your prop and speed?  250 SHO has the 25" shaft.

Curios about the 2550 and 250 specifically.  If you have a G/R/Q let me know what she doing.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 2550 QCB with the 25" 250 SHO engine.  I currently have a PowerTech stainless steel prop (14.25" x 15), but I am still awaiting the Yamaha prop that I really want.  Apparently, the SS Yamaha props have been on back order for months.  They should be in about now, but I haven't heard yet.  I am waiting for the SWS 15.75" x 15 and the SWS 15.25" x 17 props.  I have them both on order to test out and see which one I want to keep.  That is probably the prop you want to shoot for.

Once I have it, I will update the group here.

Thanks all.  I'm running 42 gps mph @ 5500 RPM with 4 on board and 50 gal of fuel.  My question is for general info only.  I'm more than happy with the performance.  If im going to have a spare prop I would like to try something different and hopefully know what to expect before the purchase thou.

I have the 3.3L Yamaha Offshore 250hp engine.  Same HP but obviously there is SOME kind of difference!  Anyway, I have a 19 pitch Enertia prop on mine and with freshly cleaned toons I get about 49 mph at around 5600 to 5800 rpm with no more than 2 people and half or less fuel.  Now that they're dirty again I'm down to about 42 to 43.

I thought with a 17 pitch I'd get more rpms and top speed so unless your pontoons are really, REALLY cruddy, I feel you should be getting a lot more speed . . . or do I have this backwards?

He's got a bigger boat.

Our boat is 28' long.  I wouldn't think it would be that big of a difference but trying to figure it all out. 

Just curious if anyone else out there has a 2550 ESP and 250 SHO.  If so, what are the specs on your prop and speed?  250 SHO has the 25" shaft.

Curios about the 2550 and 250 specifically.  If you have a G/R/Q let me know what she doing.

Thanks!

I've got a GCW 2574 with a Merc Varado 250. According to my gauges, my 15+ diameter (not sure exactly) 13p is pushing us along at a top speed of 39.1 mph. 

I have the 3.3L Yamaha Offshore 250hp engine.  Same HP but obviously there is SOME kind of difference!  Anyway, I have a 19 pitch Enertia prop on mine and with freshly cleaned toons I get about 49 mph at around 5600 to 5800 rpm with no more than 2 people and half or less fuel.  Now that they're dirty again I'm down to about 42 to 43.

I thought with a 17 pitch I'd get more rpms and top speed so unless your pontoons are really, REALLY cruddy, I feel you should be getting a lot more speed . . . or do I have this backwards?

Yes, lowering your pitch will increase your RPMs but decrease your speed. Basically, you'll gain more torque/hole-shot but will see a decrease in your top end.

I think the primary goal is to make sure your WOT rpm is in the range suggested by your engine manufacturer. 

Yes, lowering your pitch will increase your RPMs but decrease your speed. Basically, you'll gain more torque/hole-shot but will see a decrease in your top end.

I think the primary goal is to make sure your WOT rpm is in the range suggested by your engine manufacturer. 

Michiman you are correct but you can also tweek the rpm by 100-200 rpm by going up say .5 degree in pitch as well.  My recommended rpm is between 5000 and 6000.  I'm running at 5500 but I prefer to be around 5800 for max performance.

Update....(this was posted in the LIST YOUR SPECS thread, but I had mentioned updating here too)

While I was driving up to our lake home on Friday evening, I received an email from my dealer saying my props were in!  I had two props I wanted to try.  The first was the 15.75" x 15 pitch SWS II SDS prop, and the second was the 15.5" x 17 pitch SWS II SDS prop.

• Boat Model --------- 2550 QCB
  • Model Year --------- 2014 
  • Tube Option -------- ESP
  • Power Option ----- Yamaha VF250 SHO
  • Prop Specs ---------- 3 Blade Yamaha SWS II SDS 15.75" x 15 pitch
  • Performance ------ 40mph @ 5600rpm on GPS

and the other prop

• Prop Specs ---------- 3 Blade Yamaha SWS II SDS 15.5" x 17 pitch
  • Performance ------ 40mph @ 5200rpm on GPS

and the one I had been using for the past 3 months

• Prop Specs ---------- 3 Blade PowerTech SS 14.25" x 15 pitch
  • Performance ------ 40mph @ 6000rpm on GPS

So, of course, the question is, what the hell?  My boat is a big boat (27' LOA) and heavy.  It seems that 40 MPH is about the top end for me, but I am getting about 40 MPH at three very different points.  The Yamaha 17 pitch prop won't go past 5200 RPMs, the Yamaha 15 pitch won't go past 5600 RPMs, and the PowerTech got me the full 6000 RPMs...but with the same top speed.

All of these tests were done with a full (or near full) tank of gas and 2-3 people on board.  One thing I did notice, is that with the Yamaha 15 pitch prop with about 10 people on board, I was still able to hit about 36 MPH.  With the PowerTech 15 pitch prop, a boat load of people kept me in the low 30s.  I haven't tested the Yamaha 17 pitch prop with a boat load of people yet.

My question to MH663 is what prop are you using to get 42MPH?

Thanks!

You have a heavier boat Andrew.

Update....(this was posted in the LIST YOUR SPECS thread, but I had mentioned updating here too)

While I was driving up to our lake home on Friday evening, I received an email from my dealer saying my props were in!  I had two props I wanted to try.  The first was the 15.75" x 15 pitch SWS II SDS prop, and the second was the 15.5" x 17 pitch SWS II SDS prop.

• Boat Model --------- 2550 QCB
  • Model Year --------- 2014 
  • Tube Option -------- ESP
  • Power Option ----- Yamaha VF250 SHO
  • Prop Specs ---------- 3 Blade Yamaha SWS II SDS 15.75" x 15 pitch
  • Performance ------ 40mph @ 5600rpm on GPS

and the other prop

• Prop Specs ---------- 3 Blade Yamaha SWS II SDS 15.5" x 17 pitch
  • Performance ------ 40mph @ 5200rpm on GPS

and the one I had been using for the past 3 months

• Prop Specs ---------- 3 Blade PowerTech SS 14.25" x 15 pitch
  • Performance ------ 40mph @ 6000rpm on GPS

So, of course, the question is, what the hell?  My boat is a big boat (27' LOA) and heavy.  It seems that 40 MPH is about the top end for me, but I am getting about 40 MPH at three very different points.  The Yamaha 17 pitch prop won't go past 5200 RPMs, the Yamaha 15 pitch won't go past 5600 RPMs, and the PowerTech got me the full 6000 RPMs...but with the same top speed.

All of these tests were done with a full (or near full) tank of gas and 2-3 people on board.  One thing I did notice, is that with the Yamaha 15 pitch prop with about 10 people on board, I was still able to hit about 36 MPH.  With the PowerTech 15 pitch prop, a boat load of people kept me in the low 30s.  I haven't tested the Yamaha 17 pitch prop with a boat load of people yet.

My question to MH663 is what prop are you using to get 42MPH?

Thanks!

I'm running an Enertia 14.5 x 17@ 5500 RMP which is right in line with manufacturer recommendation.  I would like to have a spare prop and be around 5800.  Completely satisfied with performance but don't want the exact same prop if I can make any gains by tweaking a little.

Use a 15x15p Enertia.

cwag911...15x15 Enertia for me, or for MH663?

I think you should both try it.

I think you should both try it.

Today, I put the Enertia 15x15 on my 21' SLXP with SPS/Merc 150 and hit 43. YMMV.

Solid recommendation.

JRM55's Boat

• Boat Model --------- 2550 QCL
  • Model Year --------- 2017
  • Tube Option -------- Tri Toon-ESP Package w/Lifting Strakes all 3 Tubes
  • Power Option ----- Yamaha 300 XCA
  • Prop Specs -------- 3 Blade Stainless steel Lexor 15.75 X 15
  • Performance ------ 44mph @ 5900rpm on GPS - Early Morning, smooth water, one person, 3/4 tank fuel (approx 40 gal)

I was hoping for better top end speed and am open to any suggestions.  Engine is mounted in #1 hole.  Was running a  15.5 X 17 prop and got 46 MPH @5200 so changed to the 15 pitch and improved RPM but lowered MPH.  I was wondering if this is the best it's going to get on MPH.  Boat weighs with motor, no gas about 3900lbs.  Boat runs great like this but hoping for more top end.  Dealer is willing keep checking out a few more props but seemed to shy away from Yamaha props as they are very expensive. 

Looking for any suggestions on this situation.  Thanks for the feedback 

Back