3-step boarding ladder on Benningtons

Gastonguy

Reaction score
Took a look at the Benningtons and some other manufacturers this weekend and noticed that the Benne had a 3 step boarding ladder. Premier and Harris say a 4 or 5 step ladder makes it much easier to get out of the water. A lot of my friends are 50+ and were not as young as we used to be. Can I get some feedback whether this is a big deal or not.

This was a concern when we purchased our boat but not a deal breaker. I guess we will see if it's a problem when we get our boat.It would be nice if Bennington would offer a longer ladder. Are you listening TB?

Steve

I have the 3 step style that lays under the deck and telescopes out/down when extended. I measured and the bottom step is 38 inches down from the deck.

I don't think it is a problem using it on dry ground much less when in the water. When in the water, it is not much more than a regular step up for me to get my foot on the bottom rung. Honestly, I think if the 3 step is a problem, a 4 or 5 step will not help the problem much.

Ah, the power of perception. Let us try to ease your mind with regard to ladders and Bennington in particular. Keep in mind that we strive to be BEST in class, so we do not cut corners.(or ladders!)

The ABYC (American Boat and Yacht Council) guidelines specify that marine ladders be at least 12" below the water line. Beginning August 1st, the ABYC will increase this measurement to 24" for all boats built after this date. Bennington has always been much closer to 24" than 12" anyway, so we will only make small modifications to our ladders to meet the new requirements. A ladder can be 3-step, 4-step or 5-step, but the question is how comfortable it sits below the water line and how comfortable the "stride" or spacing is between the steps.

We believe that a useful, strong ladder is a combination of proper depth below the water, proper stride between steps, secure grab rails on the deck, and a strong hinging mechanism that allows the ladder to take weight and manage lift. A ladder that is too tall/heavy will be difficult to lift out of the water and may interfere with water sports. A ladder that is hinged improperly will interfere with the amount of leverage a ladder can take, and so it goes.

Rest assured that the Bennington ladder is strong and easy to use!

Competitive ladder.pdf

Attachments

• Competitive ladder.pdf
    862.8 KB · Views: 295
Took a look at the Benningtons and some other manufacturers this weekend and noticed that the Benne had a 3 step boarding ladder. Premier and Harris say a 4 or 5 step ladder makes it much easier to get out of the water. A lot of my friends are 50+ and were not as young as we used to be. Can I get some feedback whether this is a big deal or not.
I have a benny with 3 step ladder. I am 70 years old along with being some over weight, I love the ladder.My wife has bad knee's and doesn't have any problems.

Tom

You know what turns out to be most important? A comfortable step.

If you're trying to climb up a ladder that has steps remeniscent of those on a household step-ladder, you're going to wish you were wearing shoes.

If you climb up some gently rounded steps that are extra deep (more surface area) then you'll appreciate the difference between a barefoot ladder and one that isn't.

I am searching for an after market ladder that will fit my Bennington, or I may go to the local metal fabrication shop to see if they can build me a ladder that sits deeper in the water. I too am getting older and have some difficulty boarding. An escalator would be nice. :lol: Hey Bennington. How about an option that has a hidden bar between the tubes. Get out of the sun and have a drink in private. :D

Understand, the ladder is a very important component and we were concerned about this as well but TB is correct the ladder functions quite well. Now that said, if I was given the option of a longer ladder I would have chosen it but no one has had any troubles. I am a big guy as well (300 oh no) and the ladder is very sturdy. Hope this helps.

Have any of you tried the 4 step front mount ladder from Crone Manu.? I'll go back and check but I think I have a picture in my gallery. If not I'll try to post it. The ladder fits the tri-toons also. Not sure about the ellips. Steve

Windline makes a great variety of very well constructed ladders. I bought a nice telescoping 4 step for our Baja and my wife loved me for it. https://windline.com/

Understand, the ladder is a very important component and we were concerned about this as well but TB is correct the ladder functions quite well. Now that said, if I was given the option of a longer ladder I would have chosen it but no one has had any troubles.
Same here. Being tall, my feet are a long way under water when swimming, and trying to find that first step, I always have to keep going higher and higher than I expect. It wasn't a deal breaker, but our last boat had a four step and I prefer it over the three step.

What I really need to find is where to buy the rubber strap that holds the ladder up. It broke about the third time out, and I've just been using a piece of rope since. I'd buy a half dozen of them as the big rubber band doesn't seem like a good solution over the long term.

Poser.

I would say go back to your dealer. These things are not like an auto where you can run to AutoZone and pick up whatever it is that broke. Parts are hard to come by and OEM stuff just about has to come from the manufacturer via the dealer.

If you need to find a dealer, go back to the main page and look in the upper right corner for the find a dealer box.

Good luck,

andy

Back