300 Yamaha vs 425 Yamaha

Tulsa

Reaction score
Hello all! I'm considering Bennington and looking for advice. In short, would you put a 300 HP Yamaha or 425 HP Yamaha on an 25 R/RX series? Do you think that the 425 would be too loud when running 4000-5000 rpm?

Thanks in advance for any advice...
Scott

Last edited:
I am not sure about difference in sound/loudness between those two specific motors. However, I would really consider rbtnt’s point above. The Mercury 400 would be the most ideal for wieight to HP if considering that motor range (unless there is a dealer/service center reason for sticking with the Yamaha). Also, the higher HP Mercuries (at least in the 200-350 range) run slightly quieter. I am assuming those above 300 do as well.

I have a 250 Suzuki that is quieter than my previous 150 Yamaha.

The street price for the 425 is surprisingly reasonable, only some 2k above the 300! Maybe some suspicion is in order? But if you can afford to feed it at least mid-grade gas (12.2-to-1 compression), it should push your 25 footer over 50 MPH! YaHoo!

Hello all! I'm considering Bennington and looking for advice. In short, would you put a 300 HP Yamaha or 425 HP Yamaha on an 25 R/RX series? Do you think that the 425 would be too loud when running 4000-5000 rpm?

Thanks in advance for any advice...
Scott
Thanks everyone. I’ll think about all before pulling the trigger. If I go used, the boat will answer the question for me... appreciate all comments.

Yup, good idea to keep the used market in mind. Boat sales, especially pontoons, have been amazing the past year or so. That should drive an active pre-owned market...likely way we will approach updating.

I have a 425 on a 25 rxsb. Looks great and very quiet at cruise. 300 would be plenty of hp just won’t have the cool factor.
We plan to run 35-38 all day long. Would the 425 sound drive us nuts? Thank you for your reply. I look forward to your thoughts...

Hello Illinois,
MPH yes. We plan to run up the east coast intracoastal. May be heading your way if you are on the Illinois river or Lake Michigan. Two legs are completed. In 2017, we did 1400 miles Paducah, KY to Sarasota, Fl (2006 JC 266 Classic 225 Honda). This summer we did leg two which was 1000 miles Sarasota to Southport NC (2014 Manitou 23 Oasis SHP 250 Yam SHO). Each time I've sold the boat afterwards. Areas were pretty sketchy at times but when the times were good, they were great! We averaged 150-200 miles/day on the water: fished, saw manatee, porpoises playing, alligators, my friend caught a 9 pound bass in Lake Okeechobie, ventured thru many lock/dams, and even crossed the big bend of Florida. There are so many great things to see in the U.S. and I can't tell you the thrill of seeing it from a pontoon. We have thought about using a deep v twin engine boat for this trip. But the tritoon allows us to go just about anywhere due to the shallow draft. In chop, these tritoons seemed steady to me. Seas up to 2-3 feet can be handled easily with the tritoon. Just have to avoid rougher conditions which doesn't always happen. Hoping a Bennington will provide more safety (along with the reliability) that they are known for...

Once we find the right boat, I will post the specs here. And if we buy new, we'll probably end up with the 425 HP based on Instigator's experience.
Cheers!

Ahhhh.....since you are really doing the research, you've likely already looked at the link below. But just in case.... (note there are at least three other 425-powered pontoons with test data):

Last edited:
Ahhhh.....since you are really doing the research, you've likely already looked at the link below. But just in case.... (note there are at least three other 435-powered pontoons with test data):

Hadn't seen these numbers. Looks fast enough for me. I'll find those other test boats. Thanks, Scott

Back