32 ESP vs 3 tube ESP package

mtudb24

Reaction score
Ok Team Bennington (and other forum members), I'm curious about performance differences between the two

According to Benningtons performance reports, a 2275 RLI ESP with a Yamaha 150 Fourstroke run 37.6mph at 5700 RPM. Weight as tested is 4300lbs. The 150 is turning a 14.5x15 pitch SS prop

Also on Bennington's performace reports, a 2274GLI with 32" eliptical and same 150 Fourstoke runs 40.9 at 5900 RPM. It also is turning same 14.5x15 SS prop. Weight as tested is 3300lbs.

Both had 2 people aboard and a slight difference in altitude (850 vs 720 feet)

I understand that the ESP package with handle much better in turns and such, but it looks like to me the fastest straight line boat would be one with 32" eliptical tubes. A 1000lb pound delta with the possibllity of addiional drag of the 3rd tube, may actually slow a ESP equipped boat vs. the 2 tube elipticals.

Look forward to seeing people's response

Thanks

Todd

I am unclear...

I THINK that what you're saying is that you are comparing:

1) A 3-tube ESP package with regular 25" round outside tubes and 32" elliptical center tube

to

2) A 2-tube package utilizing dual 32" elliptical tubes.

I make this guess based upon the 1,000 pound weight difference.

Would my guess be correct?

Also, is this a theoretical "bench racing" sort of a question or a pre-purchase question?

I ask because if it's a pre-purchase question, then the most important thing is for you to be clear as to the reason you are buying. If on the other hand, this is just bench-racing... Well, those are the fun conversations, aren't they? :D

One thing I can say for sure though...

I live right by my marina and I've spoken to hundreds of Tooners both online and in real life.

Funny thing... I have YET to find anyone who wishes they'd bought a smaller engine.

The benefits to the tripple tube esp are great versus a two tube. More weight carrying capacity. better handling, in floor storage and option for larger in tube fuel cell versus a fuel cell mounted above deck. In my opinion the 1000 lbs heavier boat only being 2-3 mph slower with same engine is extremely minor considering all the extra added benefits gained from having a regular tripple tube or 3 tube esp package.

Ericschr

Yes, its a simple hypothetical question. Being the engineer I am, I am trying to figure out why a 3 tube ESP would be slower then a 2 tube eliptical pontoon. My only guess would be weight and drag of the 3 tubes vs 2 tubes given the same amount of horsepower.

My boat will have a born on date of May 16th, so I am already committed. I was just curious as to why the 2 tube was faster. Obviously, its a striaght line test, as a 3 tube would handle and turn much better then a 2 toon

Wild and Free - I somewhat agree with you on weight carrying capacity. Yes, the 3 tube ESP package has a higher carrying capacity then a 2 tube elipictal, but the 2 tube eliptical can carry more people and a higher load then a std 3 tube package.

I didn't mean to start this as a 2 tube vs 3 tube war. I was mearly tyring to understand that with the given same amount of hp, why the eliptical 2 toon package would be faster by 3mph then a 3 tube ESP equipped boat

Todd

I've asked the same question, fortunately before ordering. The 2 32" twin ellipticals with lifting strakes would offer the faster straightline speed, compared to the 3 tube ESP package, as each elliptical adds over 1000 lbs. of buoyancy. This allows the boat to sit higher, resulting in less drag, and therefore, higher speed. Part of the effect would be due to the shape of the elliptical toon, being wider/flatter aids in minimizing drag when on step. The triple tubes would offer increased stability in turns, etc. Take your pick - personally, I'm looking at a 'ski boat', so I'd like quicker 'out of hole' times as opposed to being able to turn on a dime. (I'd get a PWC for the latter!)

Tod,

You are on the right track with your assumption that the 1000lb of additional weight on the 3 toon costs a bit of performance. The is the equivalent of adding 5-7 adults in weight. Weight has always been a detriment to straight line performance in any type of recreational vehicle (cars, boats etc). Having had my share of fast cars and boats, speed alone is fun for short periods of time. Heck, I enjoy going 60+ mph on my PWCs for a little while but then spend most of my day on the mother ship. Wild and free has it right that the 3 toon has tremendous advantages overall. Fair to say that Bennington makes great 2 and 3 pontoon boats and something for everyone.

Go for the ESP package.

It makes a pontoon handle like a monohull.

I have two elliptical pontoons with a Yamaha 90hp and the boat performs exactly like the Yamaha performance bulletin says it should. On the other hand, everything I have read on this and other pontoon websites say triple tubes handle much better and regardless, always buy the most powerful motor you can afford.

Not to hijack the thread, but with the center tube, can you get them with both in floor storage and the fuel tank or is it either/or?

You can in floor storage and center fuel so yes both. I agree with Wild and Free, the added benefits of the center toon out weigh the 2-3 mph speed loss. I now own the original 3 25" tritoon and the in-floor storage is amazing. I knew the elliptical center tube would be bigger than the conventional round but honestly it is still huge. I was amazed over the weekend when I was able to store life jackets, floats, pair of skis and a knee board.

Now on another but similar subject. I didn't buy the ESP because of the following: required a special trailer which limited flexability, I wasn't convinced the smaller engines (less than 250 HP) would have enough torque to bank the boat in a turn so not sure turning would be that much better, and it was a little more expensive. So what are peoples thoughts? All the marketing and videos show the ESP with the biggest motors not sure the 150-200 HP would do it.

All good points by everyone. To each, its a personal choice. I like the twin elip for its higher capacity and I didn't want to go larger then a 150, as I still like to fish and troll which requires speeds of 1.5 to 2.5mph. With the pro xs, im pushing at least 165hp. I can hit mid 40's and 37 with 4 on board and bimini top up. I can't turn or corner like a ESP boat but im ok with that. That's why we tube mostly behind my cousins boat and use ours the home base where everyone hangs out on and relaxes and eats lunch on with the kids.

my main point is, buy what suits YOUR needs and you can't go wrong.

todd

To answer Bjammins question, yes the 150 has enough torgue to bank the boat in turns. The turning radius on this boat is amazing and when you crank it over everybody better be hanging on :eek:

There is NO substitute for a test drive.

Until you experience what it's like to have a pontoon behave like a monohull, you really can't wrap your head around it.

There is NO substitute for a test drive.

Until you experience what it's like to have a pontoon behave like a monohull, you really can't wrap your head around it.
I agree with that statement 100%.

Back