350 Verado trim

The part that's confusing me on our boat is the fact that is seems to run it's best when it's full of fuel, that makes me believe that the 3rd hole is just a little to high. I've been swamped lately and haven't had a chance to go back to the 16P prop but I am switching back and running it a while then lower the motor back down to the 2nd hole if I feel it still needs to be.

Depending where your RPM's end up at after changing your engine mount, you might want to then play around with a larger pitch prop...again, assuming you end up with more RPM's after remounting the engine. Just another possbility to consider afterwards.

With my rig and the digital gauges, I have found that 7 seems to be the right trim for my boat/motor/prop/driver at WOT.  However, every set up has variables that testing should help determine the most effective approach.

Cheers, Steve

I have mine at 1 hole up, 17 Enertia, 2574 GLI. Digital trim varies 3 or 4 depending on load. Fastest with 2 people is trim at 3, 6600 rpm, 54 mph. I need to add some pitch, but not sure which prop I might want to  try. The Enertia does real well and I tried an 18 in the past but it didn't do much.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have mine at 1 hole up, 17 Enertia, 2574 GLI. Digital trim varies 3 or 4 depending on load. Fastest with 2 people is trim at 3, 6600 rpm, 54 mph. I need to add some pitch, but not sure which prop I might want to  try. The Enertia does real well and I tried an 18 in the past but it didn't do much.

I'm running a 15.6 X 13P Enertia on my Verado 250 pushing a GCW 2574 but my top speed is about 40.1 MPH @ 6400 RPM which is a far cry from your 54 MPH. Is that a GPS reading?

As far as trim is concerned, if I go past "0" I start to have blowout. Heck, at "7" my lower unit is almost out of the water! Obviously, the Merc digital system can vary dramatically from boat to boat.  

The 54 mph GPS comes from my upgrade to a 350 using the same prop as I had on the 250. Your speed is a lot lower partially because you have so much less pitch to the prop. I ran a 17 enertia on my 250 and it was perfect. I now have a 350 and need to bump up on pitch. My boat may be lighter than yours, the newer ones have quite a bit more goodies on them. How high is your motor mounted? Mine is one hole up and does well all round, but if I want to turn real tight I bump the trim down to 3.

The 54 mph GPS comes from my upgrade to a 350 using the same prop as I had on the 250. Your speed is a lot lower partially because you have so much less pitch to the prop. I ran a 17 enertia on my 250 and it was perfect. I now have a 350 and need to bump up on pitch. My boat may be lighter than yours, the newer ones have quite a bit more goodies on them. How high is your motor mounted? Mine is one hole up and does well all round, but if I want to turn real tight I bump the trim down to 3.

My engine is mounted in the top hole and my trim tab(?) is visible when underway. As far as blow out, I'm pretty happy with the way it performs in tight turns with really no trim adjustment needed. WOT @ 6400 RPM so conceivably I could go with a higher pitch, but not sure the gain in MPH would be worth the money. So, while it really seems like the 13P might be too low, it really does perform rather well from an overall standpoint. 

Back