4 Week Algae Growth = 5mph loss (just another data point)

LaurencetheAdventurer

Reaction score
Another great weekend on the Lake! We missed our bi-weekly trip so it had been 4 weeks since our last visit. Zero algae growth in two weeks, 1/2" growth in 4 weeks (though the water was much warmer - that might have also been a factor) ...Yikes! I wiped down the engine before taking off, needed open water to get to the toons. That algae resulted in a loss of 5mph! But, a quick wipe down (20 minutes) wearing my vest in diaper mode and full speed restored! A tight marina requires I leave by engine trimmed down when docked. Love Lake Life & My Benny!

Attachments

• 2022-08-19 14.53.34.jpg
    2022-08-19 14.53.34.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 2022-08-19 18.11.22.jpg
    2022-08-19 18.11.22.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 2022-08-19 19.13.37.jpg
    2022-08-19 19.13.37.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 2022-08-21 14.45.22.jpg
    2022-08-21 14.45.22.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 2022-08-15 08.38.35.png
    2022-08-15 08.38.35.png
    468.7 KB · Views: 41
Oh yeah it drove me nuts when we kept our boat in the water. Can't believe the crap that can accumulate in a short time! But we stayed on it! Every time we went out we made time in a No Wake zone cove to clean/wipe all 3 toons. Never used the vest diaper method but just sat on a throw pillow and floated next to each toon and wiped that crap off! Doesn't take long! But you have to go through it all over again the next time you go out! That Sharkhide makes it so much easier!!!

I’m down 8-10. We didn’t get to it fast enough and can’t scrub it off easily, even with sharkhide.

I spent 20 mins on a small section and gave up. Was getting 40mph, now max is 31-32. I need sea legs or a lift.

Another great weekend on the Lake! We missed our bi-weekly trip so it had been 4 weeks since our last visit. Zero algae growth in two weeks, 1/2" growth in 4 weeks (though the water was much warmer - that might have also been a factor) ...Yikes! I wiped down the engine before taking off, needed open water to get to the toons. That algae resulted in a loss of 5mph! But, a quick wipe down (20 minutes) wearing my vest in diaper mode and full speed restored! A tight marina requires I leave by engine trimmed down when docked. Love Lake Life & My Benny!
Larry,
Great share. I was just doing the same thing this evening. Was just about to hop in the water with my son then looked over and saw like grass growing on the rear of the toons. Do you find that the pads works better than a scrubbing brush? I have the red pad from starbrite, but when it’s that thick I think the brush works better. The pads you shared to look interesting though!

My 2017 2375 RSB sits in the water at my dock all season and I, too, lost 8 - 10 MPH from the algae growth. Got in the water at my dock and scrubbed it off using an HDX Non Scratch Tub and Shower Scrubber Head with Extension Handle from Home Depot. Best $6.98 I've spent in a while. Really did a good job and the 26" handle allowed me to use both hands and really go to town.

The toughest part for me was getting between the toons. I have a minor case of claustrophobia and it really freaked me out wedging myself in there in the water. The elliptical center toon reduces the gap to about 12" and it took all I had to keep going further and further under the boat.

Larry,
Great share. I was just doing the same thing this evening. Was just about to hop in the water with my son then looked over and saw like grass growing on the rear of the toons. Do you find that the pads works better than a scrubbing brush? I have the red pad from starbrite, but when it’s that thick I think the brush works better. The pads you shared to look interesting though!
I tried a brush and found I could not get the leverage. I found a hand brush (vs a handle brush) that worked much better, but in the end liked the pad better (though my next test will be try both - possibly each side and see what it's like two weeks out).

My 2017 2375 RSB sits in the water at my dock all season and I, too, lost 8 - 10 MPH from the algae growth. Got in the water at my dock and scrubbed it off using an HDX Non Scratch Tub and Shower Scrubber Head with Extension Handle from Home Depot. Best $6.98 I've spent in a while. Really did a good job and the 26" handle allowed me to use both hands and really go to town.

The toughest part for me was getting between the toons. I have a minor case of claustrophobia and it really freaked me out wedging myself in there in the water. The elliptical center toon reduces the gap to about 12" and it took all I had to keep going further and further under the boat.
It is a tight squeeze - but the vest diaper allows me to sit low in the water, increases my reach / leverage - the biggest issue is praying for calm water! We generally find a protected cove, but then the occasional jet ski comes whipping through which provides a bit of a ride. Ideally, I send my kids under when they are with us - they love it and fit much better!

Oh yeah it drove me nuts when we kept our boat in the water. Can't believe the crap that can accumulate in a short time! But we stayed on it! Every time we went out we made time in a No Wake zone cove to clean/wipe all 3 toons. Never used the vest diaper method but just sat on a throw pillow and floated next to each toon and wiped that crap off! Doesn't take long! But you have to go through it all over again the next time you go out! That Sharkhide makes it so much easier!!!
Agree, I think the Sharkhide is a game changer on this topic - might not keep it off, but seems to make wipe off easy! Not sure why DShannon11 is having such issues!?!?

It is a tight squeeze - but the vest diaper allows me to sit low in the water, increases my reach / leverage - the biggest issue is praying for calm water! We generally find a protected cove, but then the occasional jet ski comes whipping through which provides a bit of a ride. Ideally, I send my kids under when they are with us - they love it and fit much better!
I try to wipe mine down at the sand bar once a week . We have a lot of morons that do not observe the No Wake laws. I haven't needed it yet this year , but I bought a diver down bouy for when I am under .

Agree, I think the Sharkhide is a game changer on this topic - might not keep it off, but seems to make wipe off easy! Not sure why DShannon11 is having such issues!?!?

Great question! Maybe it wasnt actually put on at factory....? it sat in the lake from memorial day to the 4th without any love so that was enough for me to not be able to scrub. Im going to try a pad and see. I was using a nylon bristle hand brush and it did nothing.

def going to power wash as best i can but thats going to be a messy/tough job to get the middle toon. going to be up close and personal with the power washer... haha

Great question! Maybe it wasnt actually put on at factory....? it sat in the lake from memorial day to the 4th without any love so that was enough for me to not be able to scrub. Im going to try a pad and see. I was using a nylon bristle hand brush and it did nothing.

def going to power wash as best i can but thats going to be a messy/tough job to get the middle toon. going to be up close and personal with the power washer... haha
And....how to wash the toons sitting on the bunks!?!? Do you recall a yellow "sharkhide applied" tag on your new Bennington when you took delivery? The dealers are supposed to leave that tag, the "proof" it was applied. If it was NOT, it very interesting that the lack of Sharkhide is resulting the Algae being that much harder to get off. For me, it's literally a quick wipe with medium pressure. It could also be the type of Algae maybe?!?! So many questions and variables - please keep us posted!!!!

And....how to wash the toons sitting on the bunks!?!? Do you recall a yellow "sharkhide applied" tag on your new Bennington when you took delivery? The dealers are supposed to leave that tag, the "proof" it was applied. If it was NOT, it very interesting that the lack of Sharkhide is resulting the Algae being that much harder to get off. For me, it's literally a quick wipe with medium pressure. It could also be the type of Algae maybe?!?! So many questions and variables - please keep us posted!!!!

Yea, the part on the bunks would be a problem. There was no tag on it to my recollection. The brush I used is a nylon bristle with a lot of give. I want to try a “scratch pad” type and see. I’ll be going up to lake for labor day so I will try a few things. Thanks!!

Does anyone know if these pads are the same as the Scotch-Brite Light Cleansing hand Pad #7445 (the white ones)?

1661616484169.pngBought the pads and used them last weekend. Worked great, easy on the hands, easy to hold against the toon, no wear or tear on the pad. Caution, they do not float. They are just barely not buoyant. They start to sink slowly if you let go in the water. Since there was no wear on the pad, I gave my friend one of the extra pads for his boat.

Back