About to order my first Bennington!

lakelife53

Reaction score
Hello everyone! After doing substantial research and browsing this very, very helpful forum, I am about to go ahead with the order of a 23 LSB. Based on everything I've read on the forum saying "buy your last boat first", this is what I'm hoping to accomplish! My only dilemma is whether to go with black canvas or smokey granite canvas. Any and all opinions are welcome! Here is a rundown of the build:

23LSB
SPS Package
175hp Yamaha Vmax
Textured Smokey Granite Panels
Smooth Midnight Black Accent
Blackout Luxe
Dimensional Chrome Logos
Black or Smokey Granite Canvas?
Curved Bimini Top
Blue Ice Bimini LED Lights
4 Step Stainless Steel Ladder
Pillowtop Diamond Pressed Upholstery Upgrade
Silver Simtex with Metallic Carbon Accent
Zebrawood Slate Matte Trim Accent
Co-Captain Seat Exchange
Recliner Upgrade V2 Pure Comfort Captains Chairs
Swingback Plus with Lighted Speaker Grill
Simrad Go7 Display
Elevated Helm
Rockford PMX 2 Upgrade
RGB Toe Kick Lighting, Cupholders, and Side Illumination
Woven Vinyl Silver Floor
Starboard Bow Cooler
Power Hydraulic Assist Steering
Dual Batteries with Switch
Power Distribution Panel
Master Power Switch
Center Fuel (SPS) Port Fill
Dock Lights in LED Stainless Housing
Black Rub Rail Insert
Heavy Duty Rub Rail
Pop Up Cleats Bow and Aft
Ski Pylon 54" Aluminum Removable

Am I forgetting anything that I will be regretting down the road? I opted against the swingback keeper rail as I don't anticipate anyone lounging back there while the boat is underway, and also against the center toon storage. Any and all opinions are welcome!

Thanks!
Brian

Congratulations Brian. Looks like a great build. You can't go wrong with either canvas color. You must post pics once she arrives.

Just a note from experience, the standard curved ladder is much easier for kids to use. Just FYI. Looks like a sweet build. If it was me I would go with Smoky color but I really think both would look good with that color combo. Congratulations! Happy pontooning!!!

Hello everyone! After doing substantial research and browsing this very, very helpful forum, I am about to go ahead with the order of a 23 LSB. Based on everything I've read on the forum saying "buy your last boat first", this is what I'm hoping to accomplish! My only dilemma is whether to go with black canvas or smokey granite canvas. Any and all opinions are welcome! Here is a rundown of the build:

23LSB
SPS Package
175hp Yamaha Vmax
Textured Smokey Granite Panels
Smooth Midnight Black Accent
Blackout Luxe
Dimensional Chrome Logos
Black or Smokey Granite Canvas?
Curved Bimini Top
Blue Ice Bimini LED Lights
4 Step Stainless Steel Ladder
Pillowtop Diamond Pressed Upholstery Upgrade
Silver Simtex with Metallic Carbon Accent
Zebrawood Slate Matte Trim Accent
Co-Captain Seat Exchange
Recliner Upgrade V2 Pure Comfort Captains Chairs
Swingback Plus with Lighted Speaker Grill
Simrad Go7 Display
Elevated Helm
Rockford PMX 2 Upgrade
RGB Toe Kick Lighting, Cupholders, and Side Illumination
Woven Vinyl Silver Floor
Starboard Bow Cooler
Power Hydraulic Assist Steering
Dual Batteries with Switch
Power Distribution Panel
Master Power Switch
Center Fuel (SPS) Port Fill
Dock Lights in LED Stainless Housing
Black Rub Rail Insert
Heavy Duty Rub Rail
Pop Up Cleats Bow and Aft
Ski Pylon 54" Aluminum Removable

Am I forgetting anything that I will be regretting down the road? I opted against the swingback keeper rail as I don't anticipate anyone lounging back there while the boat is underway, and also against the center toon storage. Any and all opinions are welcome!

Thanks!
Brian
I think Smokey Granite hides dirt and bird poop better.

Get the keeper rail if your budget permits. That's a perfect seating area for watching/observing tubers, skiiers, wakeboarders, or just watching the world go by etc. The color of the canvas doesn't matter as long as you religiously cover your boat!!! Going to be a nice boat!

Thanks for the input! I had considered a 200hp Vmax, however it would be $3900 extra and put me over my budget. If I added the keeper rail, is it something is removable and I can just reinstall it when needed? I also have the option to upgrade to the SPS Plus package for an additional $500, but I’m not sure if that is worth it. Thoughts?

Welcome, Brian! I think you've done a rather outstanding job of building your boat. I agree with Justin M. that smokey granite will likely be easier to keep clean, particularly after a few years. It should also show less fading than black (my matador red is darker in color and is definitely fading).

And unless you plan on doing a lot of night cruising, I might reconsider the bimini LED lights. While we use our general lighting, very rarely do we have our bimini open in the evening so I think we've only used the those lights once. As always, it's all about how you foresee using your boat. Congratulations!

Thanks for the input! I had considered a 200hp Vmax, however it would be $3900 extra and put me over my budget. If I added the keeper rail, is it something is removable and I can just reinstall it when needed? I also have the option to upgrade to the SPS Plus package for an additional $500, but I’m not sure if that is worth it. Thoughts?
Once yours is built, we will have a very similar look looking boat except for interior fabric color. You’re going to LOVE IT!

I think you have a GREAT build as is, and could get away with it and never look back. But since you asked, and if I were being picky, IMHO, I would suggest the following:

(1) We have smokey granite panels with black ascent too. I was leaning smokey granite bimini but dealer strongly advised the black bimini as it would add slight pop/contrast. That clicked with my wife. I went with their recommendation. We really like that combo, and agree with what the dealer said. I’d go black bimini again with that color combo.

(2) 100% agree with Daril about ADDING the swingback rail. We have the swingback with rail, and it is used A LOT when underway. It’s the favorite spot for many, and when doing water sports, it is the ideal spot for 1-3 people to layout as spotters. Also, if anyone ever brings younger kids up (ours are older teens/young adults), and they are tubing, the mom’s want to layout on the swingback and take pictures while keeping an extra eye on the kiddo’s. I’ve NEVER removed mine, but it does just screw on. Thus, removal and re-attachment should be easy. 100% add it on to the build in my opinion.

(3) I like the slightly more robust nature of the SPS+ in regards to metal thicknesses and durability. However without dropping a 250Hp motor on the back, it seems like wasted money. I’d only spring for it if maxing out the motor. In the end, that is what the hull was built to accommodate - extra motor weight and push force so one could go from the normal 200HP on an SPS motor limit up to 250. So again, I would not do this if sticking with the 175.

(4) Ditto Steve on the bimini lights. We have used our blue Ice bimini lights once (once!), and that was only to check them out. Never since then. Two reasons: One, we rarely boat at night. Much less than I thought we would when we ordered it 4 years ago. Two, when we are out in the evening/night, the bimini is down. I think once we were coming home from a friends across the lake at midnight/1 a.m., it was raining, so the bimini was up. That’s been it. So, depending on how you think you might use it at night, that could be a point of savings. In retrospect, why I ever thought I might have my bimini up at night, and thus see value in the built in lights, is beyond me. Thus, I’d cut that out of my build If I had it to do over again.

Last edited:
Agree with Viking staff - we also have about the same set up but have a Merc 200hp on the back.

In addition to what Viking staff commented, I would not upgrade to the stainless ladder. Every other boat I have owned had the stainless (vertical) style ladder. Our new boat has the curved ladder, and man I had no idea what I was missing out on! It's literally like walking up the stairs vs climbing a ladder. Yes it does take up some room on the back, but believe me you wont miss that little amount of space after a good tubing or ski session.

I was going to to the stainless steel ladder and then started speaking to dealers and owners and it was a consensus to not do the upgraded stainless and keep the stock curved S style.
Congrats. The hardest part is to come....the waiting. It’s torture.

I agree with the ladder comments. We love our curved ladder. I see black out package too, which comes with the black curved ladder. Should save a couple hundred to go with the ladder that's included in the price. Not enough to upgrade to a 200 HP though. We have a 115VMax, the largest for our model, I want more power.

Thanks for the great suggestions! I’ll ditch the Bimini lights and add the swingback rail since it is removable. I would say 90% of the time it wouldn’t be used while underway, but that 10% of the time it would be helpful to have to be able to put it back on. Vikingstaff, do you have a picture of your boat? I’d be curious to see what it looks like!

Thanks for the great suggestions! I’ll ditch the Bimini lights and add the swingback rail since it is removable. I would say 90% of the time it wouldn’t be used while underway, but that 10% of the time it would be helpful to have to be able to put it back on. Vikingstaff, do you have a picture of your boat? I’d be curious to see what it looks like!
I will add some pictures of our boat below since its gonna have some very similar looks (aside from interior color).

Also, I 100% echo the ladder comments. I meant to say it above, but forgot in my other long reply.

I was going to go stainless steel retractable originally too, and dealer shared everything others above said. Then he had one of each on the showroom floor so my wife and I tried each. Not even a close call. The dealer also said at the time that with our blackout package, the blackout ladder looks somewhat accessory like back there vs. a visual eye sore. I tend to agree with that too.

In my pictures in my follow up post below, you can decide for yourself. However, if you are fortunate enough to be able to try each ladder out on a showroom floor, that may be worthwhile.

I’ve got the graphite/metallic carbon accent but figured I’d share just to give you an idea of the combo.

View attachment 28662
That carbon metallic interior color is going to look SWEEEEEEET with the overall boat colors. I think it will look better than mine. I just went with mine out of concerns with summer sunlight heating up seats. But man, that carbon metallic is going to really flow with the dark and sporty feel of the boat. I love it!!!

Vikingstaff thanks for the pictures! That’s a sweet looking boat! You’ve sold me on the black ladder and the black canvas! My only concern was the intrusion into the rear deck when folded up but from the pictures it doesn’t look too bad! And thanks scottkp for the interior photo, it looks awesome! Heading to the dealership tomorrow afternoon to finalize the order! Maybe I can even get him to come down on the price of putting on a 200! (Wishful thinking on my part lol)

You guys really have my attention with the keeper rail talk, I didn't get it because we felt that it would be confining and wouldn't be convenient to get on and off the seat when parked on the island while swimming and laying around

Back