Ack!! Did I do some damage?

Long Ear Brewery

Reaction score
Took the kids out tubing with my t50 powered 20SF. Used a 12' Airbuddy tube harness, which seemed to work great at first. However, due to inattention, the harness cable was caught by the prop between riders (Operator error :( ) The engine seems to run just fine, but now I'm getting surface water temperature readings of 135* F on my Humminbird Helix 5, with the transducer mounted on the lower edge of the port pontoon. I can't feel any unusual heat on th lower unit, and I can't imagine a damaged lower unit would raise the temp readings that much at 1 1/2 feet away and still run

Any ideas?

I'm guessing you checked it to make sure it's still in the pre incident position? Cut it off and then back on to see if that helps. I'm sure you don't have a motor issue.

Have you felt of the lower unit when getting these readings.  I don't think you have a problem there but never hurts to check. 

I have an IT friend who always tells me when in doubt reboot everything involved when it comes to electrical technology.  A lot of times its just a glitch with computers somewhere. 

good luck

andy

Are you sure you didn't damage the transducer or cable? An open (cut wire) will give a way out reading.

Shame on you if that engine was running with kids in water or around the motor even If it was in neutral.

Are you sure you didn't damage the transducer or cable? An open (cut wire) will give a way out reading.
^This.

And Highpond, when Bill said "in between riders" nothing can be inferred that kids were in the water.

Took the kids out tubing with my t50 powered 20SF. Used a 12' Airbuddy tube harness, which seemed to work great at first. However, due to inattention, the harness cable was caught by the prop between riders (Operator error :( ) The engine seems to run just fine, but now I'm getting surface water temperature readings of 135* F on my Humminbird Helix 5, with the transducer mounted on the lower edge of the port pontoon. I can't feel any unusual heat on th lower unit, and I can't imagine a damaged lower unit would raise the temp readings that much at 1 1/2 feet away and still run

Any ideas?
I think Carl is on to it as usual.  The harness may have damaged your transducer (or the cable) when it got caught in the prop.  Your motor would have to be glowing red hot to make the lake water that hot a foot and a half away.  Fortunately, I'm guessing you do NOT have a motor problem.

Next time you go out, check the water temp on your fish finder before you even start the motor.  Or, trim the motor out of the water completely if you want to.  Or stick your hand in the water.  135 degree water should burn your hand in a few seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about taking an ice pack and putting it under water on the transducer. That should change the reading.

Andy has a good idea. 

As far as your motor, I'm sure the tube harness just stalled it without damage.  It doesn't take much to stop a motor that's just starting to accelerate.  Ever drive a car with a stick shift and stall the engine?  I'm guessing the engine in that car was a lot bigger than your T50, and it didn't take much to stall it.  You just start the engine again and away you go.

Ever mow grass that's too long and stall the engine?  And that's an engine running full speed.  You just restart the mower and keep on going.  Same with the harness in your prop.  Your engine is fine. 

Your transducer has big problems though.  But I'd take that deal all day long over motor problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a harness for tubing as well.

Came with boat when I bought it from private owner.

Before we ever used it I added a float to the junction of the harness and tow line so the rope won't sink.

I have seen some near miss accidents with short lines this summer. Mine is 25' and I would not use anything shorter.

Back