Adding drain holes in seat compartments ?

DanOnTheRiver

Reaction score
The seat compartments in my 18' have several small drain holes that intermittently work depending on how the boat sits on the water. I've though about enlarging them and adding a few more around the permitted of each compartment. As long as they don't angle down and are almost parallel to the deck, could this cause other problems. The only critters I get on the boat are an occasional ant or two.

I would add one and see how it works out. Water goes both ways, so I would be cautious to make sure no water comes in from weird flow/ waves, etc. Always easy to add more holes and a little harder to plug, but not impossible. I wouldn’t think a bigger hole would help, unless it’s getting plugged up. Let’s us know how it works out.

The seat compartments in my 18' have several small drain holes that intermittently work depending on how the boat sits on the water. I've though about enlarging them and adding a few more around the permitted of each compartment. As long as they don't angle down and are almost parallel to the deck, could this cause other problems. The only critters I get on the boat are an occasional ant or two.
Added a couple as the oem holes were not in the right position for a couple of the seat boxes to drain properly. The new ones work well and have no issues. If I remember correctly, used 1/2" bit.

I added them to my last boat. I angled them towards the stern to minimize water entry under speed. Check carefully underneath the boat before you drill so you don't hit a crossmember or wire.

I've been thinking about doing the same!

I pulled 2.5 gallons of water out of my bow/stern seat last week when the big storms ripped through the north east here.

I drilled 1/2 inch holes in mine since my compartments didn't have any. No problems. I did them in the rear of each compartment, I did not drill through the floor. It doesn't get all the water out but most of it, the rest can just be dried with a towel.

I drilled 1/2 inch holes in mine since my compartments didn't have any. No problems. I did them in the rear of each compartment, I did not drill through the floor. It doesn't get all the water out but most of it, the rest can just be dried with a towel.
So where is the water draining to? I would have some concern if water is pooling under the seats where it may not evaporate quickly

So where is the water draining to? I would have some concern if water is pooling under the seats where it may not evaporate quickly
The holes are in the side of the compartment, very close to the bottom. I figured out the low spot in each compartment by adding water, then drilled the hole there.

Attachments

• 20220703_105645.jpg
    20220703_105645.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 43
  • 20220703_105701.jpg
    20220703_105701.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 42
It could end up being a mildew farm under seats if it doesn’t dry.

It could end up being a mildew farm under seats if it doesn’t dry.
that was my problem. Terrible design. Any rain when the boat is uncovered gets water in the compartments. Before I put holes in the compartments I would have to get all the water out with a sponge. Took a long time. Now I just empty the compartments and use a rag to get the little bit of water that hasn't drained.

Still a bad design, I never had a boat I couldn't leave uncovered. But I never had a pontoon, maybe that is the difference? Seems like waterproof compartments should be fairly easy to design.

I too have same issue. I think everyone who has this problem should pile on to this thread and show the extent of the problem to the company.

The solution seems simple enough, just be careful to not drill or increase the size of any hole before checking several times to see what is on the other side. The way my boat sits in the water, several of the stock holes are in the wrong place. A few more need to be enlarged. Not a difficult problem to solve.

I too have same issue. I think everyone who has this problem should pile on to this thread and show the extent of the problem to the company.
Bennington doesn’t monitor this forum website.

Thus, concerns should be sent either through dealer feedback for Bennington , or separately to Bennington itself, so they are aware of owner thoughts on various aspects of design or engineering.

Most high-quality fishing boats have better designs to keep the water out. My old boat never had a problem in 20 years. Year one with Bennington and my tools rusted.

easy fix - drill your own holes - however Bennington and all other boat makers or the furniture makers themselves should have figure this out long ago.

I would think the correct way is to add a drain fitting with a small hose to direct the water down along the skirt of the pontoon. Drilling a only a hole would seem to increase the risk of water spraying into the compartment, especially at certain speeds. Just my opinion. Still seems strange - like have a leaking roof on your house and adding plastic in the attic as as the fix but not many options with existing design. Covers that leak, seats that leak, compartments that hold moisture, ... tests my love for my Bennington. Need to end on a positive note - I love the layout of my 22 GSR and the comfort!

Back