Adding speakers to my existing Kicker system, Power draw issues?

mosesjb2

Reaction score
I want to add additional speakers to my existing Kicker system.
My neighbor added a pair to the ski tow bar on his boat, awesome sound really loud.
He added an extra battery with a selector switch and the factory alternator has died on him twice now.
Too much amp draw or just a bad wiring set up?
What do you think

I’m speaking from limited knowledge, but I’d have to say your friend’s issues are wiring related. My Benny came with the stock Kicker tuner and has six speakers. On the recommendation of a well known member of this group, I did add a Fosgate amplified sub which did take the system to another level.

this would be a case where the battery/alternator wiring needs to be checked... it wouldn't have anything to do with the stereo wiring (generally speaking). If there isn't a charge controller between the alternator and battery bank, you can definitely create conditions that may backfeed the alternator and cause some pain.

that said, when adding speakers, generally adding them in series with an existing pair is safest. but a lot of it depends on how many channels your head unit/amp have available. info about your amp/head unit would help get you better advice on wiring...

Thanks for all of your input, I suspected pretty much the same, a wiring issue.

Back