Advice on trailer for my 20 ft tri-toon. (Mid America)

mnosek

Reaction score
We are buying trailer for a Bennington 20 ft tri-toon. Local dealer has this Mid-America trailer (and tri-toon kit not shown). Tandem axel. No brakes. Price seems good. We only drive two miles per yr (one to launch at begining of season, one to bring in). Don't need brakes right? Anybody have any opinions, good or bad on this trailer? SHould I pull the trigger?

Attachments

• Mid America pontoon trailer.jpg
    Mid America pontoon trailer.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 14
We are buying trailer for a Bennington 20 ft tri-toon. Local dealer has this Mid-America trailer (and tri-toon kit not shown). Tandem axel. No brakes. Price seems good. We only drive two miles per yr (one to launch at begining of season, one to bring in). Don't need brakes right? Anybody have any opinions, good or bad on this trailer? SHould I pull the trigger?
Sure seems sufficient for a 20’ tritoon that’s only going a couple miles annually on it. However, I don’t know squat about trailers. I am confident some real experienced towers will be chiming in soon on this one. My only question for you is since it doesn’t have brakes, do you ever foresee towing it to other far off locations in the future if you had a trailer to confidently do it with?

For others chiming in with trailer experience, if Mnosek is yes on the above question, would brakes be a smart thing to have on it (I don’t know on a 20’ boat on a tandem axel trailer, but posing this one for others that do and might chime in on this thread)?

In most states, any GVW over 3,000# (trailer and load) requires trailer brakes. My Mid-America tandem was 1140# by itself, so that leaves less than 2,000 for boat, engine, fluids, gear, etc. Personally I would always have brakes, and my Mid-America had 4 disc brakes on it.

Sure seems sufficient for a 20’ tritoon that’s only going a couple miles annually on it. However, I don’t know squat about trailers. I am confident some real experienced towers will be chiming in soon on this one. My only question for you is since it doesn’t have brakes, do you ever foresee towing it to other far off locations in the future if you had a trailer to confidently do it with?

For others chiming in with trailer experience, if Mnosek is yes on the above question, would brakes be a smart thing to have on it (I don’t know on a 20’ boat on a tandem axel trailer, but posing this one for others that do and might chime in on this thread)?
Had another thought, but maybe too late. If the boat can be stored on the ground can someone with a center lift trailer pick it up and put it in the water for you? If the cost is $50 each way it would be a long time to break even. and you have to store the trailer.

Had another thought, but maybe too late. If the boat can be stored on the ground can someone with a center lift trailer pick it up and put it in the water for you? If the cost is $50 each way it would be a long time to break even. and you have to store the trailer.
That’s basically what we do. All of our service and winter storage is through our boat dealership. As a result, they put it in the water and take it out each year as a gratuity for their business at the nearby DNR boat launch.

Thus, we don’t actually own our own boat trailer, which illiminates our need for maintaining or storing one for so little use each year. Also illuminates the need for a larger tow vehicle. Downside is you are totally dependent on others for any quirky needs that arise.

That’s basically what we do. All of our service and winter storage is through our boat dealership. As a result, they put it in the water and take it out each year as a gratuity for their business at the nearby DNR boat launch.

Thus, we don’t actually own our own boat trailer, which illiminates our need for maintaining or storing one for so little use each year. Also illuminates the need for a larger tow vehicle. Downside is you are totally dependent on others for any quirky needs that arise.
Sorry VikingStaff. I meant the post to be for Mnosek, but I think he will see it. On my next pontoon I was planning a trailer even though I live on a lake. I feel it opens up other areas, but I agree with you not having one makes you dependent on others. Also if you want to do any of your own maintenance you are limited. I tried to rent one and it is really inconvenient. Thanks

Back