AGM battery

L23250HP

Reaction score
My 2022 Bennington with a Mercury V8 250hp Verado manual says use AGM battery. My dealer say you don't need AGM batteries and they do not use AGM batteries unless specifically requested. They installed non-AGM batteries. I've done tons of research, read all the post's and understand the non-AGM power steering issues, charging issues, and Mercury warranty issues. Has anyone had this issue and their dealer put it in writing that non-AGM batteries are sufficient? Maybe its pie in the sky thinking on my part but I do not want battery related warranty issues on my new boat engine. At this point the dealership will not replace to AGM batteries unless I purchase new batteries. I'm not looking for wise guy answers like get a new dealership ETC. Sgt Joe Friday said it best, "Just the facts."

I have a 2022 Mercury 250 V8. My boat manufacturer tells their dealers to install AGM cranking batteries, because Mercury says it's required. That's exactly what my dealer did. The house battery, however, is NOT an AGM. I do hear of dealers not installing AGM's, and the manufacturer has made them change them out.

I have a 2022 QCW with a 250 Verado , both of mine are AGM .
Here is the number for Mercury if you would like to call . 920-929-5040.

My 2016 Verado came with two AGM batteries.

I have a 2022 Mercury 250 V8. My boat manufacturer tells their dealers to install AGM cranking batteries, because Mercury says it's required. That's exactly what my dealer did. The house battery, however, is NOT an AGM. I do hear of dealers not installing AGM's, and the manufacturer has made them change them out.

Is your boat manufacturer a Bennington. If so why would Bennington tell one dealership to install AGM's and not mine, (Sun Country -Lake Havasu)? I'm confused. I contacted Bennington and they advised it a dealers choice, yet Mercury says AGM's are required. My dealer says they do not use AGM's and have never had any problems. Something is not right in Denmark.

Is your boat manufacturer a Bennington. If so why would Bennington tell one dealership to install AGM's and not mine, (Sun Country -Lake Havasu)? I'm confused. I contacted Bennington and they advised it a dealers choice, yet Mercury says AGM's are required. My dealer says they do not use AGM's and have never had any problems. Something is not right in Denmark.
It is a Mercury requirement. If you are concerned, you should present the documentation from Mercury stating so to your dealer and go from there. Other batteries will work, but Mercury believes the longevity and load requirement dictate the need for an AGM. This is not a boat manufacturer issue. Non AGMs are cheaper leading to the hesitation by some dealers.

Last edited:
Mercury's phone number is posted above. Get their opinion on it .

After this thread was started, I reread my Mercury manuals ,sounds like they may not cover "under warranty "electrical issues from non AGM . Since I paid for 8 year Platinum Coverage I double checked mine this morning. How ever if my dealer had not followed Mercury's requirements, if something had happened its on them

Ours came with two AGM batteries originally in 2017 (Bennington boat, 200 HP Mercury Verado Pro motor). Replaced with new AGM batteries in 2022 after battery and electrical system problems.

However, batteries are separate from Bennington. They don’t dictate it.

Motor Manufacturer's have their own recommendations, and then the actual dealership is the one selecting and rigging the batteries…just like the dealership selects and rigs the prop.

Unless you specify at purchase, or take a look at the details of what the dealership is slapping on there, then you get whatever that particular dealership “typically” puts on that style boat. Some dealerships look to cut corners and costs, others rig to certain specs or standards. I think it can vary.

I’d use the Mercury contact number Jack posted for you above. Is your dealership a certified Mercury repair shop? If so, maybe even more worthwhile to follow up with Mercury…?

Sadly, if the dealership doesn’t budge, there probably isn’t anything you can really do to force the issue unless you had AGM batteries specified in your purchase paperwork. Good luck!

After this thread was started, I reread my Mercury manuals ,sounds like they may not cover "under warranty "electrical issues from non AGM . Since I paid for 8 year Platinum Coverage I double checked mine this morning. How ever if my dealer had not followed Mercury's requirements, if something had happened its on them

Thanks that is all correct and I've presented the dealership with the Mercury documentation. Their response is I can purchase new AGM batteries at my cost if I prefer. I'm attempting to find if any other dealership knowing Mercury AGM policy requirements will continue to back the Mercury warranty with non-AGM batteries. In my case the dealership says they have had no problems with non-AGM batteries and I'm going to attempt to get them to commit in writing to warranty covers if non-AGM battery related problems occur in the future.
Ours came with two AGM batteries originally in 2017 (Bennington boat, 200 HP Mercury Verado Pro motor). Replaced with new AGM batteries in 2022 after battery and electrical system problems.

However, batteries are separate from Bennington. They don’t dictate it.

Motor Manufacturer's have their own recommendations, and then the actual dealership is the one selecting and rigging the batteries…just like the dealership selects and rigs the prop.

Unless you specify at purchase, or take a look at the details of what the dealership is slapping on there, then you get whatever that particular dealership “typically” puts on that style boat. Some dealerships look to cut corners and costs, others rig to certain specs or standards. I think it can vary.

I’d use the Mercury contact number Jack posted for you above. Is your dealership a certified Mercury repair shop? If so, maybe even more worthwhile to follow up with Mercury…?

Sadly, if the dealership doesn’t budge, there probably isn’t anything you can really do to force the issue unless you had AGM batteries specified in your purchase paperwork. Good luck!
Yes dealership is a certified Mercury repair shop and I'm finding out more and more the trailer, motor and boat are completely separate when it comes to warranty issues and repairs. I'm at the point where I'm just going to replace them with two AGM batteries and be done with it.

That stinks given their expense, but you certainly have a heck of a nice boat outside of this minor item. Hopefully once this is in the rearview mirror it will be easier to enjoy it.

Back