Air bubble around lifting strake weld

Slindeen

Reaction score
Yesterday I noticed when I came to a stop and there was a rush of bubbles coming from the port side center pontoon. After closer inspection it appears to be coming from around where the lifting strake is welded to the pontoon. I then noticed that it is not "flush" with the pontoon in several places on the port side but is on the starboard pontoon. A few months ago I noticed this as well but it didn't seem to be as many bubbles. Since the boat isn't riding any lower in the waster (thank goodness!) should I be overly concerned about this leak? We did have repairs done to the aft and port siding as a neighbor boat hit the aft port corner with the bow of his boat last year. However, I haven't noticed this leak until recently.

I believe it's just air bubles from the strake, which is not sealed, but not the tube and I wouldn't worry about it.

Next time you put your boat on the trailer, look for water dripping out after the rest of the boat has had time to dry. If it's dripping water for a few days, you might have a problem.

Like has been said, it might be water left over in a strake--nothing structural or inside the toon.

Next time you put your boat on the trailer, look for water dripping out after the rest of the boat has had time to dry. If it's dripping water for a few days, you might have a problem.

Like has been said, it might be water left over in a strake--nothing structural or inside the toon.
We don't have a trailer. It stays in the water at our marina. We do have it taken out when we need to have it serviced. But it comes back that afternoon so I would have no way of knowing if it continued to leak water.

Our strakes do this. I understand your concerns completely! First time I noticed this, I thought a tube weld broke open.

When you're up on plane, the strakes empty out. When your boat is heavy enough (lots of people), and you come to a stop, the strakes submerge and bubble.

Now I obviously cannot see your boat, so you COULD have another more serious problem, but this is probably all it is!

Slindeen,

Let me tell you from experience, you will know right away if you have a leak in the tube! The Bennington tubes are vented on the top plug, so any leak fills them quick. Our 2012 Bennington 22SSI tube had a tiny hole on the weld very high on the rear of the tube. By the second day on the water the boat was leaning hard to the starboard side, obviously something was wrong. Very hard to get the boat on the trailer because the tube was very heavy with water. The tube dripped water for 2 days until it was drilled and drained. I think the bubbles around the lifting strakes is normal and should stop after the boat stops and the Strakes fill up with water.

Riverbill

Last edited by a moderator:
Slindeen,

Let me tell you from experience, you can will know right away if you have a leak in the tube! The Bennington tubes are vented on the top plug, so any leak fills them quick. Our 2012 Bennington 22SSI tube had a tiny hole on the weld very high on the rear of the tube. By the second day on the water the boat was leaning hard to the starboard side, obviously something was wrong. Very hard to get the boat on the trailer because the tube was very heavy with water. The tube dripped water for 2 days until it was drilled and drained. I think the bubbles around the lifting strakes is normal and should stop after the boat stops and the Strakes fill up with water.

Riverbill
Thanks everyone for your responses. I have checked on the boat twice today (and yesterday) at the dock. Everything looks normal. I think if it was taking on water I would know by now. I just had never noticed so many bubbles and gurgling before so it startled me.

I know exactly how startling that can be! We only noticed it when one of my friends jumped in the water right after we stopped, and said "you got a weld bubbling..."

Turned out it was just the strake filling with water, but the bubbles were coming up at the same point where a weld was in the center of the tube. The marina was in sight, so we decided to scoot back quick just in case. It ruined a nice trip by cutting it short.

I see it happen regularly now. Not something you'd really notice unless you looked overboard right after stopping. Usually, for me, right after stopping your busy doing whatever it was that you needed to stop for, and not bending over the side looking at the water. But, like I said, I now notice it happening a lot, but only when there's enough weight in the boat to completely submerge the strakes.

I'm actually surprised this hasn't been a topic before now...

What boat model do you have?

I know exactly how startling that can be! We only noticed it when one of my friends jumped in the water right after we stopped, and said "you got a weld bubbling..."

Turned out it was just the strake filling with water, but the bubbles were coming up at the same point where a weld was in the center of the tube. The marina was in sight, so we decided to scoot back quick just in case. It ruined a nice trip by cutting it short.

I see it happen regularly now. Not something you'd really notice unless you looked overboard right after stopping. Usually, for me, right after stopping your busy doing whatever it was that you needed to stop for, and not bending over the side looking at the water. But, like I said, I now notice it happening a lot, but only when there's enough weight in the boat to completely submerge the strakes.

I'm actually surprised this hasn't been a topic before now...

What boat model do you have?
2010 2250 RCW. That's exactly when it happens. I was looking around for a place to beach it in case it started to take on water. I wasn't near the marina and was out by myself. Luckily, it was okay.

I wasn't near the marina and was out by myself. Luckily, it was okay.
I know what THAT feels like too. My motor wouldn't start yesterday (that's another thread) when I was out by myself. It was very windy and I was blowing towards a rock wall so I threw out an anchor. I had no threat of sinking though. That would be worse.

By starting this thread, you probably kept 100 readers from stressing over the exact same thing at some point. A very worthy contribution to the forum! Thank you.

Back