Ambient temperature gauge/sensor

fastmnstealth

Reaction score
What are folks doing for temperature?  When we are on the boat, the question always comes up..."what is the temperature?"

I can get water temp via my Garmin 547xs, but not ambient temp.

I had a little digital thermometer but it was always reading high as it seemed to be in direct sunlight which would impact the reading.

I had a vision of adding an air temp sensor to my NMEA 2000 backbone and be able to see it on my Garmin (I could mount the sensor somewhere out of direct sunlight, but the only ones I've found are $250-$300(eeek)...I'll just ask my wife the temperature vs paying that.   I could see paying $50ish, but that is about it.

Any other ideas?

I put a little keychain thermometer on my boat key ring. It is usually down in the shade that way. Seems pretty accurate most of the time. 

IMG_1942.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice simple solution.  I'll probably end up doing something like that.  Certainly don't have to worry about the batteries dying!

We have a temp gauge as part of our gauge package. Where I boat, it says, "hot, hotter or hotter than Hell."

Cheers, Steve

We have a temp gauge as part of our gauge package. Where I boat, it says, "hot, hotter or hotter than Hell."

Cheers, Steve
LOL...must be what it is like to boat on the surface of the sun!  You folks are tough.

Phone app.

Back