Amplifier Power Wire to Rocker Switch on Helm?

Dewitt492

Reaction score
Just purchased a small Kenwood amplifier with 45 Watts per channel. Comes with a 5' wire harness that has 8 gauge wire for the power line. Does anyone know whether it is possible to run the this power line to the rocker switch that also turns on the Rockford Fosgate head unit. This is on a 2008 2275 QXI.

Welcome Dewitt! We’ve got some pretty good audiophiles on this site and hopefully one or more will chime in. That said, I think that amp will need to be directly connected to your battery before hooking up to your head unit. If you have a wave shield, you’ll have to do some fishing.

Going to need to run a power wire off the battery up to the amp. The signal wire for the amp connects to the blue signal wire on the head unit. That what tells the amp to turn on

Going to need to run a power wire off the battery up to the amp. The signal wire for the amp connects to the blue signal wire on the head unit. That what tells the amp to turn on
I hear what you are saying, but those rocker switches are already wired back to the battery. Help me understand the need to run a dedicated line to the battery vs connecting it to the rocker switches.

Amperage draw. You will not only pop whatever fuse the rocker switches are on but could possibly melt down the wiring harness. The wire to the switches is way too small to handle the load of a amp. What amp do you have exactly?

On my boat, the amplifier power cable is 4 gauge. (HUGE...for two amps).
Also, be sure you install the recommended in-line fuse on the power cable within two feet of the battery. (Very important!)

Amperage draw. You will not only pop whatever fuse the rocker switches are on but could possibly melt down the wiring harness. The wire to the switches is way too small to handle the load of a amp. What amp do you have exactly
Kenwood KAC-M1814 4-Channel Compact Bridgeable Marine/Motorsports 400W Max Power Digital Amplifier

8 gage is plenty, just run it to the battery, blue wire from amp to blue wire from receiver and you are done. Very simple.

Back