An expensive weekend on the boat (not good)

Dr. Evil

Reaction score
We spent a lot of time on the lake the last 2 weeks and have had great times. We trailer to/from the lake since we live 5 miles from the ramp. That said, I've gotten a bit lazy this year when it comes to putting the top down to go to the house. Disclaimer: Since we live a short distance and its all backroads trailering speeds never get above 30mph. Lots of trees hang over the road but none that make contact with the top, they're just high enough to not touch.

You've probably figured out where this is going by now....

Had another vehicle come around a curve causing me to have to get waaaaaay over so that one wheel was in the grass. My boat trailer was tilted a little bit with one in the grass and one on the road, the top struck a tree limb. I didn't hear it or notice it until I got home. The front bow is not bent, its broken. The secondary bow is really bent. The rear two are untouched. Interestingly the fabric is fine. I made a call to the local dealer and a new frame is just under $600 so I'll probably go that route. I searched a lot for replacements but I don't want straps, the selection for 102" wide is more limited and I don't want to have to drill a bunch more holes in the fence frames. The factory is shut down this week so we cant ship it till next week. This weekend is our last weekend off for 4 weeks so its essentially the end of our summer. Our son starts school in 2 weeks. I just hate that it ends this way but that's just the way it goes I guess. On the bright side, it was an incredible weekend camping with friends and family last week so I need not complain too much.

That is a bummer. Lesson learned for sure!

You should call around and see if any dealers have broken tops that you can get the pieces from. Or call your ins co.

It doesn't help you, but I only live about 1/2 block from our neighborhood's boat ramp. I always put the top down before leaving the ramp. I don't travel with it up, no matter how close my destination is from me.

I always have to be careful because my top is permanent and does not give me the option to lower.

I tow the same distance and have never thought about leaving the bimini up since it's so easy to fold it away. I always drop to idle speed when I'm getting close to the marina entrance so I can put out the bumpers and then stow the top at the same time. With the wife's help it only takes a minute.

Last edited by a moderator:
When we brought our boat home from winter storage I didn't even think about the Bimini top and how high it is when it sits on the trailer. We were on this road w/overhanging trees and my wife says..........I think we're skimming the trees. We pulled over and I notice that my Bimini light is horizontal and the plastic cover is Gone! No damage to the actual top.........

Lesson learned, but don't beat yourself up over it. Just be glad that you didn't flip the boat!

Well, since its already junk you dont need to worry about what happens if you try to fix it.  Lowes or H D should have some mending plates and self tapping screws.  If you dont have a workbench and vise find two immoveable objects and a BFH to try and straighten out what you got left.  Trailer framework or truck bumper perhaps.  If all else fails get an 8x8 E Z up at wally world.  Set it up at the party cove, take it down when your running.

I have a welded front bow. I know your pain. 

A good aluminum welder can get you by till you can get new parts.

just giving you an option. 

Andy. 

Back