Another ESP Center Toon Bilge thread

RunningYld

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2015 2574 GL Rear Fish. When I picked up the boat the center tune had a few inches of water in it. The dealer said it was from rain sitting on the lot with no cover and they had just pressure washed the deck and the kid got a lot of water in the storage area (the floor was wet so I know it was just washed and it made sense).

I can hear the bilge pump turn on underneath the rear livewell/rod storage counsel. I have seen a little water come out of the hole into the transom area so I know the pump works.

I had it out for the first time this weekend and couldn't get the water to transfer from the storage area to the rear of the center tube where the bilge pump is. There is a 1/2 inch hole in the bulkhead between the storage compartment and the fuel tank compartment in the rear of the toon.

I shop vac'd the water out when I got it home (about 20 gallons) and hope I don't get that much water in it again since I store it inside but when water gets in there I'd like to get it out with the bilge pump and not a shop vac.

Anyone else have a set up like this with the bilge pump in a different compartment then the majority of the water and a half inch hole to for the water to transfer through. Any tips on how to get the water to flow back to the pump other then leaving it on the ramp for and extended period of time?

Seems like a half baked design, why not put the pump where the water collects and not in a different compartment?

We have ESP. Our bilge pump is located on the aft-side floor, just beside the bulkhead, in the center toon storage.

It doesn't do a perfect job. If there is but a little water in the bilge (1/4" or so,) the pump will not do anything. We need to use a shop-vac.

20 gallons sounds like a bit much to me! Was it over the flooring in your toon's storage compartment?

It wasn't when we took it off the water but drove home through a thunderstorm. When I got out the shop vac the "floor" in the storage compartment was starting to float.

I wonder why the bilge pump on mine isn't in the storage compartment where the majority of the water is?
Do you have a fuel tank in the center tube as well?

Only leaving a 1/4 inch of water would only be a nuisance, but not being able to get the water past the bulkhead to the compartment with the pump is more of a problem.
I didn't see the hole in the bottom of the bulkhead until after I vacuumed the water out, and am hoping it was just plugged. I don't fit in the tube so I lowered my son down there to stick his finger in the hole. He said it wasn't plugged but he's 4 and not a reliable source of info.yet. Have to get my buddies 11 yr old down there for a better diagnosis.

This is my first boat and hope someone can chime in and make me feel like a moron for not seeing the obvious solution.
I've spent a a few hours reading this forum already, tons of great information and tips so far, great resource.

I wonder why the bilge pump on mine isn't in the storage compartment where the majority of the water is?

Do you have a fuel tank in the center tube as well?

I wonder also about placement about your bilge pump but then again I'm not familiar with all models.

My fuel tank is underneath a lounger on the starboard side, behind the captain's chair, not in the rear of the center toon like some today.

You had me rolling on the floor laughing about a 4 year old's reliable investigation. Great minds think alike. I've had my girls do some similar investigations over the years. As teenagers now they just roll their eyes when their dad makes a request like that.... :D

Yup I laughed too about the 4 yr old. Send the 4 yr old down there to unclog the hole. Could be a snake or something else n there. Ha!

I believe there is another bulkhead just in front of the fuel tank that you cannot see. As a test, raise the bow to see if the water does drain all the way to the back to the bilge pump (it might be slow).

If not, the dealer needs to correct. If so, it is fine but store your boat with the bow elevated so the remaining few inches of water that the pump can't remove is in the back (with the storage door open), to prevent mildew in the storage compartment.

If not, the dealer needs to correct. If so, it is fine but store your boat with the bow elevated so the remaining few inches of water that the pump can't remove is in the back (with the storage door open), to prevent mildew in the storage compartment.

Will the dealer do anything on a used boat? It's a 2015, I'm the 2nd owner. I did buy it from a Bennington Dealer if that helps.

I'm taking it out again this weekend (weather permitting) and will raise the bow and test if I get some in there. Since I had the shop vac out I made sure I got all the water out already and I don't want to purposely add water just to test the flow.

Took it out on the 4th and didn't get any water in the center tube so no update. Did have my buddies son crawl in there and he also said the hole isn't plugged (maybe the 4 yr old is becoming a reliable source of info). Hope to get out this afternoon as soon as I'm off work and hopefully tomorrow if the rain stays away.

Back