Any advice??

12-Ringer

Reaction score
I don't post here much, but when I have the group has always been extraordinary helpful and I hope that continues...two quick questions and a little context...

Context
We purchased a brand new 2020 Bennington SX23 this year...???brand / new 2020???...what's this guy taking about right....it was the showroom model at the dealer and with all of the Covid non-sense, they didn't upgrade their showroom with the normal attention to detail...so we bought this boat, from the showroom, never to have had an owner or been in the water and upgraded to a 2021 Yamaha 150SHO in March of this year. We use it only in saltwater, but it doesn't stay in the water. We have the luxury of a private launch, so it is put in and taken out each time we use it. Each time we're done it is cleaned with fresh water and salt gone a process that kept our previous other brand pontoon in excellent condition. Due to an unforeseen and disappointing set of circumstances we've only had the boat on the water 4x since we took delivery in late April.

Questions
The boat is equip with a couple of fishing chairs. The chairs are easily removed from their pedestals, but I cannot get those pedestals out no matter how hard or how many others try to pull them out. They came out rather simplistically earlier in the year, but now they don't budge. I should have taken a picture, but they have a small what seems to be locking tab that when pressed toward the pedestal would appear to unlock the pedestal to be pulled up.
---------Anyone have any tips, tricks, suggestions, not only to get them out, but to maintain them in such a way that if we need to remove them quickly we're not searching for an Olympic weight lifter.

The gate open and close by first lifting them out of their locking mechanism and then swinging them. Is there a recommended lubricant for those hinges as a two gates are starting to stick a bit, to the point that some of the younger kids couldn't even lift them.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Saltaway for chair or equivalent. Spray where any salt water could have gotten in between any mating metal surfaces. Some say vinegar, it is an acid, so be aware of that. Follow with silicone spray or lube of your choice. Use a jiggle to get products spread around. For door, silicone spray should do it. Wipe up any excess. I noticed my door has a little stiffness.
I use salt-away on whole boat every time. Pretty easy to see who doesn’t use it around here. (Sarasota Fl. area)

Last edited:
Saltaway for chair or equivalent. Spray where any salt water could have gotten in between any mating metal surfaces. Some say vinegar, it is an acid, so be aware of that. Follow with silicone spray or lube of your choice. Use a jiggle to get products spread around. For door, silicone spray should do it. Wipe up any excess. I noticed my door has a little stiffness.
I use salt-away on whole boat every time. Pretty easy to see who doesn’t use it around here. (Sarasota Fl. area)
Love that Sarasota, Longboat Key, Anna Maria Island area! Just beautiful!

Gates are pretty tough to open and close on purpose. Keeps them from rattling.

Back