Any "real world" experience with 496HO I/O

BigBlock

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the 8.2L (496 HO, 430hp) option in the 2575 QCW series? Performance, reliability, noise?

Thank you for any feedback.

Ecoman has a new one.  Not sure if it is a Q.

Ecoman soes have the Q2575 [and it is gorgeous] with that engine, I am sure he can answer those questions

Last edited by a moderator:
insert crickets sound here while we wait for Ecoman to chime in. (Also that is not a fitting name for someone with an 8.2L!!!)

I am on my second Q with with the 8.2 HO. I have a 2013 Tower Q with the 8.2 HO and captains call exhaust. The first boat didn't have the exhaust and was quieter. The boat will top out about 56 Gps before the rev limiter shuts you down lightly loaded.The hole shot is amazing and this boat will take off even fully loaded. It will cruise at 30 to 35 at about 3000 rpms.The only down side to this engine is the engine cover sits 4 inches taller than the small block boats. This will cause you to hit your head on the tower or top if you do not pay attention. Ask me how I know.

Okie Dave,

is your Q equipped with the Bravo 1 or Bravo 3?

My buddy has the 8.2 with Duoprop in a Cobalt 270.  It cost well over $100K, and gets 2 mpg.  With only one gas pump on the lake, it takes him 12 gallons just to get to the marina.  Go figure.

I have the Bravo 3X outdrive. This engine has been trouble free with no issues.I have the DTS on the new boat and love it.I also have a Cobalt 26 SD WSS boat with this same set up and have had no issues with it as well. I get better gas mileage than 2 MPG on both boats, but I have Mercruiser and the Duoprop is Volvo.The Bennington I think holds 60 gallons of gas and it is no problem running all weekend on a tank. That includes cruising and pulling tubes.

Okie Dave,

What props are you running?

My current set-up is a Q25 with 350MAG / Bravo3, love it but want a big block. Have the order in with a 496HO/Bravo1. Went with Bravo 1 for speed. Wondering if I should change to Bravo3 after hearing your numbers.

Thanks

I am running 24p on the bennington and 26p on the cobalt. I am changing the cobalt to 24p this winter for better hole shot and higher rpms.

Go with the Bravo 3 you will not be disappointed. I had a boat with the 454 Bravo i package and it performed well but the torque made me us the trim tabs to level the boat with the Bravo 3 you won't have that problem. I am not sure it would matter on a pontoon I just think the Bravo 3 is smoother. I didn't know you could get a Bravo 1 with the HO anymore. The Bravo 3 on the HO is the X version which is stronger.

I find myself drooling just reading that conversation. I for one am extremely jealous, we'll done.

I have the 2575 QCW I/O with the Bravo 3. I just took it out of the water for service it was a blast all summer my top GPS speed was around the 52 mph mark . Thee only problem I had was the mercrusier gauges lost com with the engine so I wasn't able to get a good read on mpg and rpm settings maybe a wiring harness or connection problem. Would really like to add the captains call and see if I get any benefits from it. It defiantly was a conversation starter at the sand bars. Many compliments especially when that found out it had the 8.2 Mag HO.

Back