Anyone using AMSOil instead of Yamalube?

WaveRunner

Reaction score
I use AMSOil in several other vehicles, and was wondering if any of you out there have been using it instead of Yamalube?

I'm curious, because I'd like to go to a full synthetic in my '16 F115, but have noticed that Yamalube marine full synth only comes in 5w-30, and I'd much prefer 10w-40 here in the mid-south heat.  Here's what they say about their oil:

AMSOIL Synthetic Marine Engine Oil is a premium-quality synthetic formulation engineered for the harsh operating conditions of marine environments. It withstands the intense mechanical action of continuous, high-rpm operation to deliver superior viscosity protection. Synthetic Marine Engine Oil is specially fortified with a heavy treatment of advanced additives that protect motors against wear, rust and deposits. It excels in high-horsepower applications and all-day trolling conditions.

NMMA Certified
Synthetic Marine Engine Oil is certified by the National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA) for use in four-stroke outboard motors. This high-quality oil demonstrates outstanding performance and meets the NMMA FC-W Catalyst Compatible specification requirements.

• NMMA Registration: 10W-40 – FC-W (CAT)® Registration Number: FC-00850T

Superior Protection Against Engine Wear
Marine engines operate under high loads and rpm for extended periods of time, causing traditional automotive oils to break down and lose viscosity. To ensure protection and long-term durability, the NMMA introduced the FC-W Catalyst Compatible standard, which is backward-compatible with the recognized requirements of the FC-W standard. AMSOIL Synthetic Marine Engine Oil meets the FC-W and FC-W Catalyst Compatible shear stability requirements, outperforming competitive oils to deliver a superior lubricating film. Formula 4-Stroke Synthetic Oil contains robust anti-wear additives that further reduce wear in metal-to-metal contact regions.

Excellent Anti-Rust Performance
Marine engines are prone to rust, leading to uncontrolled wear and premature engine failure. Good rust protection is not natural to motor oil; it comes only by design. Synthetic Marine Engine Oil is fortified with a special anti-rust agent, even more than required to pass stringent NMMA FC-W and FC-W Catalyst Compatible anti-rust testing.

APPLICATIONS
AMSOIL Synthetic Marine Engine Oil is recommended for gasoline-fueled four-stroke outboard, inboard, inboard/outboard (I/O) and personal watercraft motors. Use the appropriate viscosity grade where specified in the following:

Honda®, Mercury®, Yamaha®, Johnson®/Evinrude®, Bombardier/BRP®, Suzuki®, Nissan®, Tohatsu®, OMC®, Volvo Penta®, Mercruiser®, Chevrolet®, Ford®

NMMA FC-W Catalyst Compatible • API SM

I know this is probably a hotly debated topic, but I'd like to hear you all weigh in on this.  

If you use Mobil 1 or something else, I'd be interested in hearing that as well.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

I use Pennzoil full synthetic.and usually what's on sale.

I run Amsoil in my Vmax 250 but only 10-30 as that is what the owners manual calls for. I would check it out before you put 10-40 in for warranty purposes. I have used Amsoil for the last 10 years in everything I have that takes oil.

I run Amsoil in my Vmax 250 but only 10-30 as that is what the owners manual calls for. I would check it out before you put 10-40 in for warranty purposes. I have used Amsoil for the last 10 years in everything I have that takes oil.

+1 on the idea of changing to a heavier weight oil. Today's oils are so much better than yesteryear's oils.The engines are tested many hours using the recommended weights. Most engines today call for these lower viscosity oils,even my cars and trucks are all running them. As far as Amsoil,I don't personally use there products. But have friends that swear by it.I'm a Mobile one user,all seven vehicles here use the synthetic oil. My Benny is propelled by an E-tec that I use a synthetic oil in also. I guess you could say that I'm a believer of synthetics.

Assuming you're  talking four stroke motors, making a switch to Amsoil would be fine but as lakeliving pointed out it may cause a warranty issue. If you're talking  two strokes make sure you drain every drop of yamalube out and then start fresh! Yamalube does not play well with other two stroke oils (doesn't blend) I've rebuilt many of motors for guys who have tried!

Assuming you're  talking four stroke motors, making a switch to Amsoil would be fine but as lakeliving pointed out it may cause a warranty issue. If you're talking  two strokes make sure you drain every drop of yamalube out and then start fresh! Yamalube does not play well with other two stroke oils (doesn't blend) I've rebuilt many of motors for guys who have tried!

Yes...believe me, I understand about warranty issues (and yes, it's a 4-stroke being a 2016 Yamaha F115), but as long as an oil meets the manufacturer's specifications, the Magnuson-Moss Act of 1975 should take care of the warranty issue.  I understand all about the reluctance to use something other than Yamalube during the warranty period, as Harley owners are just as particular about their oils, and the never-ending debate about oils will live on as long as there are choices of oils.  

I was only curious to see what other oils were being used out there, and what folks favor. 

Thanks for weighing in!

I work at Ranger Boats and we use Lucas products exclusively in all motors attached to our boats.

I run what the motor manufacturer suggests while it is under warranty.

Same here. I will not risk warranty issue over type of oil.

Lucas products are good stuff, a few of my buddies use it in their sleds. It’s just sometimes hard to justify the cost savings to having a warranty issue when your dealing with a newer product and warranties.

As a preventative measure, I want to remind folks not to engage in an Amsoil war here. I've seen it happen on lots of other sites and I think we are above that here. Thanks in advance.

As long as the oil you're using meets or exceeds what the manufacturer specifies, you won't void your warranty.

Back