Are these rooster tails normal?

CCVirginia

Reaction score
I have noticed that whenever up to speed, I would say 15+MPH or more, I get rooster tails coming from the gap between the pontoons and the engine mount and go higher than the top of the engine. Engine trim does not seem to make much of a difference (to anything). The boat rides quite low in the back, even at rest. It is a 22SSBX with a Yam. F150 - it has the "half toon" performance package. My concern is that it is "riding" on the deck plates, not the toons. The following picture was at about 22 MPH. I can get up to 38MPH on a good day which seems good. Thoughts?
20210625_152731.jpg
20210627_141939.jpg

I have heard that is VERY common with the ETP hull. Nature of that partial (but very short) center tube. It doesn’t provide the same buoyancy, support or more uniform weight distribution that a full length tube would such as in the SPS or ESP hulls. Combined with a heavy motor, it is what it is. One of the reasons I am not a fan of that partial center tube…

Out of curiosity, do you have under-skirting on the boat? That will at least help deflect the water spray and force it out the rear end of the boat. All of that aside, I really like the side profile of your boat. Sharp looking boat and color combination.

Last edited:
Yes, there is under-skirting, it does not come fully forward or fully enclose the toons, but perhaps this is as skirted as it gets. Aft seems well covered. I have found seaweed in the supports above the toons, about center boat. Still learning about this kind of craft! Thanks for the feedback!
20210629_111738.jpg
20210629_111920.jpg

Cowling seems pretty wet but as Viking noted that uneven running surface below probably creates a very turbulent area astern, more so than full tube or none. See video below.

If you're really worried about it take a video and send to the dealer or Bennington. At least you'll have it documented if anything should happen.

I have noticed that whenever up to speed, I would say 15+MPH or more, I get rooster tails coming from the gap between the pontoons and the engine mount and go higher than the top of the engine. Engine trim does not seem to make much of a difference (to anything). The boat rides quite low in the back, even at rest. It is a 22SSBX with a Yam. F150 - it has the "half toon" performance package. My concern is that it is "riding" on the deck plates, not the toons. The following picture was at about 22 MPH. I can get up to 38MPH on a good day which seems good. Thoughts?
View attachment 30311
View attachment 30312
I have the same type of rooster's coming out the back of mine too. Mine is a foot shorter though, 21SX performance package as well (3/4 center toon) with a 115 on it. My top speed is currently 35.7 MPH and it seems the roosters look different at every MPH gain on the way up. IMO, you should do some prop chasing, I think you have more top speed available out of a 150. The rooster tails calm down as you go faster.

I've seen a few benny's out on my lake with the SPS packages on a 21ft using the same 115 as mine, I'm right next to them at WOT almost like only having 2 toons in the water at speed has less drag. Who knows, all I know is going to the SPS package was thousands more than I wanted to spend.

Even though not a Bennington think that is the normal for any pontoon boat. My original setup did not include under skinning. Notice a big difference in the quality of the ride after installing. Highly recommend on all pontoons

If you have the 3/4 center log, ie the express package, the rooster tails and water on the cowling are normal. I had a 21ssrx with that package. With the sps package the cowling is dry and much less rooster tail.

I’m glad to see someone else post this. I have noticed this same thing more this year than last. I have a 23SSBXP SPS and it seems to generate a ton of waves / turbulence from the rear of the boat under moderate power to WOT. I called the dealer this week to try and schedule a lake visit with my salesman, but per usual no call back. Power seems to be underwhelming also. I just pulled the boat to travel for the weekend. Need to double check no water got in any of the toons or anything else that might explain this.

View attachment 30311
View attachment 30312
If you put a hydrofoil on the engine it will lift the rear a bit and get rid of some of that. Also makes the trim work better.

If you put a hydrofoil on the engine it will lift the rear a bit and get rid of some of that. Also makes the trim work better.
I’ve read that can kill some top speed BUT I’ve also heard they can add top speed.. What’s the read deal?

Back