Backing off trailer

Butchkid

Reaction score
I learned an important lesson this weekend. The boat ramp I always use was a little more shallow than usual. The water is down a little bit and I was a little farther to the right of the ramp so the boat wasn't in the water quite as far when I got in and started it to back it off. As a result I ripped off the back bunk rail when I backed it off. if you look at the picture you will see that there is a lip where the engine compartment meets the forward storage. Backing off the trailer, if that lip isn't floating above the bunk rail immediately behind it, it will catch it and rip it off. I couldn't find the rail after, so I had to go pick on up at a trailer store before I could put the boat back on the trailer. Luckily there is no damage other than my pride. :)

gallery_82_73_1244329.jpg

Butchkid - Are you referring to Lake Grapevine? If so, that is where I normally go and I know what you mean about it being down again - the website I check said it was minus 2.97 feet on the 22nd. For what it is worth, they put in a new ramp at Meadowmere Park which is much steeper. If you are familiar with that area, go past the first 2 lane ramp (which is shallow), through the park attendant shack and around to the left in the actual park area. It is a one lane ramp but it has a great area for straightening out before beginning to back in and a great big parking lot.

Sorry about your incident - last Wednesday (and before I used the new ramp), I ripped off some bunk carpet putting in for the second time in 11 months!

Back