Bad Weather

lakeliving

Reaction score
Looks like some bad weather for us in the mid-west soon. Everyone stay safe

Wait a minute, my boat's in the water!

Flood Warnings in Northern Michigan

Actually, it's on a beautiful lift.
They're talking about large hail and massive winds, setting the stage for tornadoes, so it's giving me the willy's. Around here the wind picks up the entire boat AND lift and flips it upside down together. We've had that happen to neighbors, so it's scary stuff. He ended up with a new ShoreStation and Ski Nautique that way, but I'm sure it was no fun to go through it.

Is the lift just sitting on the bottom or is it anchored to something?

It just sits on 4 big pads on a firm sand bottom, though it weighs about 1000# without the boat. Normally I haven't anchored my previous lifts, but since this has a 30' parachute for a canopy I planned to put an auger pole down with a chain, whenever I could get to it. The water temp is 52 degrees right now though.

The biggest problem with any of these types of lifts is actually when the boat is NOT on it. Without the boat, they tend to get picked up and tossed with the right type of gusts, so some people do anchor them.

Best of luck. Has anybody designed flaps in the canopy that would allow wind gusts under it to release the air pressure like the roof vents on a Nascar car. Maybe an overlap of 3" every 5' . Velcro could hold it in place till there was excessive pressure that would release the Velcro. *Patent pending

Yes, some canopies do have small mesh sections sewn in for pressure relief. Unfortunately, this one doesn't, though the ends have zippers to roll up the end flaps for access. I think I'll leave them where they are and take my chances.

I guess it is a good think I don't have my canopy on the lift yet as there is no boat in it. The neighbors have their canopy on though. Sounds like some popcorn and a chair by the door wall are going to be in order tonight.

I hope not. I'm an outside property claims adjuster...

We got a record spring snow storm last weekend, broke every single snow fall event record for the Bismarck Mandan area, 18" + of super heavy wet snow. I was going to pull my toon from storage the day before the storm hit and decided to wait...........glad I followed my gut and left it inside.

Back