Battery Charging & Maintenance

Rock n' Reel

Reaction score
I have a few questions about battery charging & maintenance . . .

We have a 2003 207FS that we bought last year and the dealer put in a new battery. We've been on the boat a few times this year, most short cruises and fishing with the motor off. Last time we were on the boat, it took 4 tries to turn it over and I think the battery either needs to be charged or replaced.

Do we or should we be charging the battery with a portable charger [like for a car battery] while the boat is docked? Should we have done anything with the battery when it was winterized or launched for use this year? Is there any on-going maintenace we need to be doing? Some of this may depend on what type of battery we have and unfortunately I don't have that info with me right now.

Any information would be great! It was not a good feeling to be on the water with 2 kids and hearing the sluggish turn of the motor.

Thanks Forum!

I always take the battery out of the boat for the winter, put it in the basement with a battery tender on ot so the battery is always fully charged. a battery that is left uncharged will sulfate the lead plates in side and reduce the batterys charge capacity. I would suggest putting it on a charger and have the battery load tested (your dealer, autoparts stores or a local mechanic should be able to do this for you with the battery ou of the boat). Also make sure all your battery connections are clean and tight.

I opted to go with a second battery and a battery selector switch, just for peace of mind. The alternator on an outboard does not put out the amperage of say a cars alternator, so to fully recharge a low battery takes a lot of run time. So as BlackSLi24 said, a battery maintainer or low amp charger would be a good idea. Some folks have got a portable jump box they carry on board for emergencies. Have your battery tested and go from there.

Thanks. I just uncovered a battery charger for cars, rvs, etc. that used to be dad's in my garage. I'll charge it up and monitor/test the battery load. 20 years ago I wondered "what the heck am I going to do with this thing?" and now I'm glad I have it. :rolleyes: Like the idea of the jump box on board the boat -- that will give good peace of mind and provide a safe boating season.

Something else you should check is to see if your alternator is charging, if you have a volt meter, check your battery voltage with the engine off. A fully charged batt. should have 12.5 volts, install your ear muffs and start the engine, raise the rpm's to 1500-2000 and check voltage again, you should see at least 13 volts or as much as 14.5v. Under 13 your alt. isn't charging, over 14.5 your alt is over charging, which will ruin your battery over time. Hope this helps!

G&B -- great information. It definitely helps having this knowledge. I'll be heading to the boat on Monday and can't wait to figure out the battery situation. Thanks!

I highly recommend the jumper box idea; I don't leave home without it. B)

It's easy to park and run down your battery just listening to toons on a nice summer day, and time gets away from you, so cheap insurance. My 2 cents...

Enjoy and good luck,

Back