Battery Question

Tyler Rodriguez

Reaction score
I have an issue that I am trying to resolve. When I switch my battery switch to 1, no issues... Good crank. When I switch to battery 2, no auxillary power. I test the battery and it comes back at 12.78...FULL. When I put the switch to 1&2 I get auxiliary functions.
What could this be? Any recommendations please...
Could it be the switch? A connection? A cable?
Thanks for the assistance...

Tyler

Thanks Bill N! I will take a look to see. I am praying for an easy fix and that sounds like one. Fingers are crossed...
Tyler

Let us know.
If I'm wrong, I cannot come up with any other ideas. At least not right now.

I am guessing that the accy's are wired directly to battery 1 and not the battery switch.
I have an issue that I am trying to resolve. When I switch my battery switch to 1, no issues... Good crank. When I switch to battery 2, no auxillary power. I test the battery and it comes back at 12.78...FULL. When I put the switch to 1&2 I get auxiliary functions.
What could this be? Any recommendations please...
Could it be the switch? A connection? A cable?
Thanks for the assistance...

Tyler
I agree with Bill N. Try to trace one of your acc wires back to the battery. Are both of the battery the same size and type? Crank(start) or Deep Cycle? If one is Deep Cycle I would switch Accy's to the Deep Cycle. So if your Acc like music lights etc drain the battery, your crank battery can still start the boat. I would suggest not using combo 1&2 at the same time. Your install now will always use Battery 1 and if you run out of juice you switch to Battery boat or 2 to start, which is OK too. I am sure their are other solutions that are posted on the Web. I boat with one battery and jumper cables! Usually not the only boat on the water.

Did you check the fuse on the second battery? Going from memory, but pretty sure there is one.

One other thing to narrow down a little, start the boat and see if the batt 2 is showing a charging voltage when switch is in 1+2. If not then it is connected up improperly. Check each battery charging level in each position.

+1 on Bill N's response - that is how mine was wired.

I rewired everything to the distribution panel and everything is working the way it should.

I am guessing that the accy's are wired directly to battery 1 and not the battery switch.
Hey @Bill N.,
Just now getting back to you. They were directly wired to Battery 1. Just so I understand this switch better... I can wire the Acc's directly to the switch and not to Battery 2? I switched the connection to be directly to battery 2. I am guessing that it is better to have to the switch, but am not aware if this is a sound practice. Please advise if that is the best method, and if you can give me a short tutorial (in writing) on how to do this I would appreciate it VERY MUCH! Thanks and God bless!

Tyler

Here is a picture of the rewire work I did. The small leads on the battery are for my on board charger. Everything else is tied into the panel.

D278D979-118B-4856-8D05-593E2CF83649.jpeg

Back