Battery Replacement

Kahlua0517

Reaction score
The eight year old batteries in my 2015 R25 are in need of replacement and I was looking for recommendations for best brands, models, and type of battery. I have a two battery system with a selector switch.

Some swear by the Interstates that many originally come with. Tried and true flooded lead acid that tend to last several years or more with proper maintenance and relatively cheap. I've heard Wally World batts are decent. Trojan batteries are regarded in many circles as the best flooded lead if you want to up the budget but I only recall reading about guys using them for their trolling motors.

AGM batteries are also popular such as Optima and the X2 Power from batteries plus. I have no experience with either but a search of this forum or The Hull Truth will show lots of positive reviews.

The ultimate are Lithiums but you are going to want to really weight the pros and cons since these are so expensive. I personally can't justify them for my pontoon but if I had a bass or bay boat would seriously consider.

Had to replace mine on my 2017, just went to Wal-Mart and got a Ever Start for $100. Never had a issue with that brand.

Some swear by the Interstates that many originally come with. Tried and true flooded lead acid that tend to last several years or more with proper maintenance and relatively cheap. I've heard Wally World batts are decent. Trojan batteries are regarded in many circles as the best flooded lead if you want to up the budget but I only recall reading about guys using them for their trolling motors.

AGM batteries are also popular such as Optima and the X2 Power from batteries plus. I have no experience with either but a search of this forum or The Hull Truth will show lots of positive reviews.

The ultimate are Lithiums but you are going to want to really weight the pros and cons since these are so expensive. I personally can't justify them for my pontoon but if I had a bass or bay boat would seriously consider.
And, you have to be careful with Lithium: Existing charging from alternator may not properly charge; may not have the crank amps needed to start the engine; can't charge in freezing weather; Need special chargers / maintainers. But, overall it may be less than running the needed wire from the back to the front of the boat!?!?

Like Potomacbassin said above I swore by Interstate marine batteries for years. But the batteries that came with the boat didn't last 4 full seasons. They were properly maintained. Anyway I gave the brand another chance and replaced them with the same. 1000 cranking amps. 800 CCA.

The eight year old batteries in my 2015 R25 are in need of replacement and I was looking for recommendations for best brands, models, and type of battery. I have a two battery system with a selector switch.
I’ve always been pleased with marine starting batteries from Advance Auto. Looks like their marine batteries are DieHard now. Reviews look great, still.

Our 2012 Sl-21 had 2 original DECA batteries, with 2-way selector switch. The boat has been left in the water year round with the batteries on board.
A month ago when we had friends out for the day and it wouldn’t start.
So after checking all the battery selector positions, I immediately drove to Walmart to buy EverStart batteries of the same size. Only, After installing the new ones, we realized it had been in neutral all along.
No problem, 11 years is excellent service life.
Pontoon boats do not experience the same rough conditions as runabouts, so imho expensive AGMs aren’t likely to give you longer service life.

I wonder if AAA Delivers???

I replaced mine last year with this.

Attachments

• IMG_0126.jpeg
    IMG_0126.jpeg
    166.8 KB · Views: 7
Here is what we dropped in when we had to replace our original batteries. They were what was specifically recommended by Mercury for our 200HP Mercury Verado Pro motor.

IMG_9613.jpegIMG_9611.jpeg

You've demonstrated to me time after time you know a lot about boats. What batteries do you run?

Lithium voids Yamaha warranty. I asked dealer to get them.
No idea about others.

Back