Battery

s9bailey

Reaction score
Need a new battery for our Bennington GL2275 and getting mixed info on the replacement. Need for starting, radio & lights but no trolling. I know I need the Dual purpose, but should I go with the group 24 or group 27? Thanks!

I would probably replace it with the same size as the original.

The group #'s reflect the physical size of the battery, so measure your battery box and then measure the batteries. I use the marine starting battery as opposed to a deep cycle, as i don't have a trolling motor. Some folks just use a car battery, but the post connections are different, and you have to use adapters. Good luck with your choice, and, welcome to the Club :)

The group #'s reflect the physical size of the battery, so measure your battery box and then measure the batteries. I use the marine starting battery as opposed to a deep cycle, as i don't have a trolling motor. Some folks just use a car battery, but the post connections are different, and you have to use adapters. Good luck with your choice, and, welcome to the Club :)
Good info, thanks!

Good info, thanks!
They do make a deep cycle starting battery, interstate makes one, but so do alot of others, if you sit with your stereo on for most of the day i would recomend the deep cycle starting battery.

As stated above the Group # is the physical size but what people get confused about when it comes to batteries is that they think that deep cycle means it has more reserve which is false. Deep cycle batteries simply have heavier plates inside and can handle deep discharges and faster recharges without damaging the internal plates ie warping and shorting out when going through the charge cycle.In general If you want a battery with a high reserve then you sacrifice cranking amperage and visa versa.But high cranking amperage on a boat is not really needed on outboards and smaller i/o engines. Most marine batteries are deep cycle due to being more prone to deep discharges and having heavier plates makes them a bit tougher and stand up to a bit rougher conditions than a normal automotive battery.

Back