Bennington Fuel Capacity

rrp0968

Reaction score
Hi all.....new to the forum.

My wife and I are in the market for a pontoon to take our teen daughter and friends out on the water.

Given that we are looking at 24’ and larger and plan to tow tubes, I am looking for a Tri Toon with at least a 200hp.

My vconvern is that most I am looking at have less than a 30 gallon fuel tank. A 200+ Hp outboard will suck that down pretty quick in my opinion.

I am looking at a 2014 Bennington 2274 GL with a 200hp Yamaha. This boat is advertised with a 26 gallon tank.

Is it possible to install a larger tank? The tank in this boat is under the rear swim platform.

Anyway, was just looking for thoughts on this. The area I boat does have fuel on the water, but we do head out to Lake Maurepas on occasion. just did not want to get into a situation where I am constantly worrying about fuel.

Thanks

Ron

Short answer is no. There really isn't any way to add a larger tank after the build. Bennington does offer a center fuel tank on some with tri-toon configuration, but it would be very cost prohibitive to add to an existing boat. Sorry

Drive conservatively - if you're WOT all the time then yes your burn rate will be in the 2.0 mpg range, but back off to 4000 RPM and you are now in the 2.8-3.0 range. I optioned a 52gal tank for this very reason - the last thing I want to be thinking about when relaxing with the family is where the closest fuel docks are!

Hi all.....new to the forum.

My wife and I are in the market for a pontoon to take our teen daughter and friends out on the water.

Given that we are looking at 24’ and larger and plan to tow tubes, I am looking for a Tri Toon with at least a 200hp.

My vconvern is that most I am looking at have less than a 30 gallon fuel tank. A 200+ Hp outboard will suck that down pretty quick in my opinion.

I am looking at a 2014 Bennington 2274 GL with a 200hp Yamaha. This boat is advertised with a 26 gallon tank.

Is it possible to install a larger tank? The tank in this boat is under the rear swim platform.

Anyway, was just looking for thoughts on this. The area I boat does have fuel on the water, but we do head out to Lake Maurepas on occasion. just did not want to get into a situation where I am constantly worrying about fuel.

Thanks

Ron
Mine 150 HP has a 32 Gallon, this at least should be an possible. And I can run it all day with that much fuel.

What are the thoughts on the 26 gal tank with a 200 Hp Yamaha? Seems pulling kids on tubes and any amount of running is going to drain that quickly? Anyone have this setup? Seems to me that a boat rated for 200-250 Ho should have a larger tank.

I have a 33 gallon tank with our 200 HP on our 24’ SPS hull tritoon. I wouldn’t want to be any smaller, and if I could have ordered it with a larger gas tank I would have.

On days where you are tubing hard for long periods of time, you’ll easily go through the tank. Slow cruising you’ll have a little bit of range, but when tubing or adding in any sprints at WOT, you’ll suck it down fast. I think you are correct in avoiding a boat with anything less than the 33 gallon tank at 200 or more HP.

Are you looking used only, or also new? If buying new you can get a 33 gallon on SPS hulls, and even bigger with certain layouts, or the ESP hull.

I would rather buy used if I can find one, but have not ruled out buying new. My wife and I are going to visit a dealer or two this weekend to see what’s out there. From what I have been reading, seems like it is slim pickings if buying new, not much inventory out there. I would like to find one a couple years old from a private party. Here in La there would be no tax on a private party sale. That alone is a huge savings when spending 40-50k on a boat.

I would rather buy used if I can find one, but have not ruled out buying new. My wife and I are going to visit a dealer or two this weekend to see what’s out there. From what I have been reading, seems like it is slim pickings if buying new, not much inventory out there. I would like to find one a couple years old from a private party. Here in La there would be no tax on a private party sale. That alone is a huge savings when spending 40-50k on a boat.
Good luck to you. Tough market to find used, but people do it. Diligence and a willingness to travel will hopefully aid you in your search.

If you are willing to refuel more often, maybe you just compromise on the fuel tank as the price to play if going used....? Still gets you on the water, and provides all the same fun boat time. Only hiccup is refueling more often. If you have a marina and gas access lakeside, less worries and downtime doing it.

Yeah....done mind refueling more often, my only concern is one of the areas we frequent is a 30 min ride back to the fuel dock. If we plan to spend the day there, I don’t want to be in a situation where we may have to cut the day short because of fuel, or make a run back to the fuel dock. I think I am going to keep my search for one with a larger tank. 50+ gallons would be nice...except for when I am actually at the pump.

And I do not mind traveling to get one. Keeping my eyes peeled for boats with a 750 mile range of me.

We brought one of these the other day in case our fuel burn calcs were off. If those long runs are infrequent then having one of these onboard can help with the stress. Inconvenient but small price to pay if you end up getting a great deal on a boat with a smaller fuel capacity.FA11938A-32C9-419B-9228-EE2FD65C60D2.jpeg

No matter how big your gas tank is you are going to worry about fuel. The gas gauges in these boats fluctuate like crazy. I had a 52 gallon tank in my I/O. As long as we weren't slamming that throttle down pulling skiiers/wakeboarders out of the water it was good on fuel! Once our boat went below half tank it dropped like a rock! Once it got to quarter tank we would start to sweat. We would hit that throttle and it would drop to empty then come up a bit. Oh man time to hit a marina for fuel. We would fill up and it would take 39 gallons. Meaning we had 13 gallons left. (1/4 tank) And we thought that we were almost empty.........

This is why I like a digital fuel gauge with consumption data displayed. Last time out the gauge showed something like 42.1gal burned by trip end and when we filled up it was literally within a tenth of a gallon. Pretty darn good.

The fuel level meter is in increments of 8 LCD bars and is ok for a quick check, but consumption is almost a necessity if you want to get within 0-5 gallons remaining.

We brought one of these the other day in case our fuel burn calcs were off. If those long runs are infrequent then having one of these onboard can help with the stress. Inconvenient but small price to pay if you end up getting a great deal on a boat with a smaller fuel capacity.View attachment 29151
How many gallons does that hold?

Looks like a 5 gallon Jerry can

Yep 5 gallon. And it wasn't that exact model but we brought one and a long nosed funnel. If I was running the great Loop I would probably buy a 50gal fuel bladder for extra insurance and stow it in the center storage.

Back