Bennington pontoon damage, to replace or not?

Scotty1

Reaction score
22SSRX 2016 model
I had a mishap last fall while unloading from trailer at dock. I told the wife to drive the truck and trailer out of the water to soon. The current pushed the boat sideways and I ended up catching the right rear guide denting the center pontoon.
Wondering if I should replace or not? Would this effect the boats safety?

Attachments

• 20171013_095730.jpg
    20171013_095730.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 20171013_095830.jpg
    20171013_095830.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 20171013_100020.jpg
    20171013_100020.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 81
I had my port side replaced 2 years ago when it was hit in my slip.Cost was about $3500 insurance covered it

I guess the only thing you would have to worry about is the integrity of the tube where it is dented under the keel. (That is the keel isn't it?) See if your dealer is able to check to see if it was pierced. Maybe they can perform a pressure test. Are they able to remove the keel? Anybody?

Bk, anything done can be undone. They are just strips welded on every foot or so. Pressure check and if it's good, go boating. Save the deductible for when the big shit happens.

Ouch. I'd be concerned with a pin hole leak so a pressure test would be a good call. At least it is on the bottom.

Now, there's a mishap I could live with! Unless you happen to look way under the boat, you'll likely forget about it. My suggestion would be to periodically check for signs of the pontoon being breached (either a visible hole or "sloshing").

Thanks guys,.. yes it is just to the side of the keel, we left the boat at the slip for a month following the mishap and no signs of leakage. Dealer did pressure check and said no leaks,.. he has seen much worse, but it is a newer boat and he hasn't had much luck repairing damaged toons. Estimate was 3,300..deductable is 250..

Even I could live that one and I’m a picky SOB! If you pressure tested.... happy boating!

Go have fun.

I'd keep it dented for now, but rest assured, I'd drop a tear every time I walked past it and saw it. That said because mine sits on my driveway, in plain view. And yes, I know I should trim the banana tree, but frost is fixing to hit, and I'll be cutting them down to the ground, anyway. :D

From Security Cam.jpg

Thanks guys,.. yes it is just to the side of the keel, we left the boat at the slip for a month following the mishap and no signs of leakage. Dealer did pressure check and said no leaks,.. he has seen much worse, but it is a newer boat and he hasn't had much luck repairing damaged toons. Estimate was 3,300..deductable is 250..
Well, that is one of the reasons you purchase insurance...

Back