Benny owners on Lake Hartwell?!?

BigKahuna

Reaction score
On the way back from Georgia we stopped in Lake Hartwell for a quick bite to eat and to check it out. Didn't realize that it was 56000 acres and has 1000 miles of shore line. We stopped in to the Grill at Clemson marina and had a nice lunch and it was right across the lake from Clemson's football stadium. Any Benny forum members on Lake Hartwell?!?

On Hartwell the last 6 yrs. highly underrated in the upstate which is fine with us. Next time your down this way speak up and I’ll show you around.

Thx JB! Beautiful big lake! Are you in SC or GA? Must be the GA side if you mentioned upstate.

We are 30+ year residents on Hartwell, and just got 1st Bennington this year (2021 23 LXSR) and love it. We live just outside of Anderson SC, a great area of Hartwell. We have Portman Marina with good resturat about 15 minutes away and easy run up to Clemson. Very close to Anderosn SC for shopping and dinnig, 45 minutes to major airport (GSP).
Sandy

We are 30+ year residents on Hartwell, and just got 1st Bennington this year (2021 23 LXSR) and love it. We live just outside of Anderson SC, a great area of Hartwell. We have Portman Marina with good resturat about 15 minutes away and easy run up to Clemson. Very close to Anderosn SC for shopping and dinnig, 45 minutes to major airport (GSP).
Sandy
Wow 30 yrs! I guess you've seen alot of change! Is the Bennington dealer on the lake?!?

We traveled from WV to GA to buy our Bennington in Elberton, GA. We saw Lake Hartwell from the road and it is beautiful. I’ve added areas around Lake Hartwell to my potential retirement spots. I didn’t even know that lake existed until we bought the boat. I love the folks at the dealer in GA. Super friendly and easy to deal with.

Last edited:
Wow 30 yrs! I guess you've seen alot of change! Is the Bennington dealer on the lake?!?
Quick question.....can you recommend areas/neighborhoods around the lake to look for a waterfront home? And areas to stay away from?

Hmmm, new lakefront home in your future?
We live on Lake Norman now on a peninsula literally in the middle of the lake. We have water view front and back. Kept our boat right across the street from our house in a slip on a lot our neighbor owns for 5 years. Walk over take the cover off and go! (Waterfront with out the water! Ha!) Earlier this year our neighbor sold the lot for just over $500000. So the slip is gone! A friend of ours let us keep our boat at her house on a lift about 6 or 7 minutes from us in the next neighborhood. Beautiful $3 million home, trex dock, 10000 lb. High tide lift that I had modified to fit our boat. Just the perfect situation! She didn't want anything to keep the boat there! So we put our boat there at her house in April. She passed away in July. Without going into detail the house/property is tied up in family litigation. (The executor of the property advised us that we can keep our boat there until further notice) So to make a long story short we are tired of depending on other people for our boat storage needs..... so yes my wife has been looking hard for waterfront homes and her search is not limited to just this lake........ Our next problem is we bought this house cash and have been mortgage free for about 10/11 years. Waterfront home prices are just ridiculous! Just don't want a mortgage! Ha!

I just googled Lake Hartwell. It looks like a really nice lake you'd be exploring for many years. That's too bad your boat lift time was short lived.
When we were looking for our place we rented in a few different locations around the lake. Between that and our realtor's recommendations we figured out pretty quickly what part of the lake we did and didn't want to be on.
Good luck in your search. That's half the fun.

Come down here!!!

I just googled Lake Hartwell. It looks like a really nice lake you'd be exploring for many years. That's too bad your boat lift time was short lived.
When we were looking for our place we rented in a few different locations around the lake. Between that and our realtor's recommendations we figured out pretty quickly what part of the lake we did and didn't want to be on.
Good luck in your search. That's half the fun.
To be honest with you I am perfectly happy where I am. New house (6 1/2 yrs. old) we had built and designed ourselves. 30 minutes north of Charlotte in case we want to go into the city. Great neighbors! Have just about everything we want except for a place to put the boat next season! My wife is looking to take care of that! Ha!

Come down here!!!
We looked down there before retiring. W. Palm Beach, Orlando, Naples, Ft. Lauderdale, Destin to name a few places. Liked it but Lake Norman won out!

Regarding good plaes to retire on Lake Hartwell: We are perfectly happy on the north end / Anderson SC area of Hartwell. We're fortunate to be close in to town, have 4 acre wooded point lot, and good neighbors. We believe tht lot and waterfrount house prices on Hartwell are considerably lower than other area lakes like Keowee. There are some nice lakefront condos with deeded slips. Hartwell has some very nice neighborhoods and some areas that are mixed with old, dated, and teardown homes In addition to the Anderson area of Hartwell, there are some very nice areas near Clemson (more expensive) and a nice section of the lake near Hartwell, GA. Waterwise, the upper areas of Hartwell have a lot of coves and river areas, and the southern end on GA side is more big water and sailboat areas. If you go too far away from the dam near Hartwell GA, you can get into shallow areas and low bridges. We are about 6 miles outside the city of Anderson, in a larger cove, haver very deepwater at the dock, and no lowbridge issues. Come join us.
Sandy Addis

Thx for the info Sandy! We will keep that in mind when we visit Lake Hartwell again. We actually stopped into Lake Murray near Columbia today for an exploratory trip on the way back from Savannah. Checked out a planned community but found out that the waterfront lots were all sold. Also found out that .50 to .75 acre WF lots are alot less expensive and more readily available than Lake Norman. Have a good week, Sandy and thx again!

Although I just purchased my Bennington last week, I've been a Lake Front land owner on Hartwell for 15 years. I'm keeping the Bennington at Lake Oconee but I'm looking to sell the lakefront lot on Hartwell. Full dock, deep water, 1.3 acres, pie shaped lot with gentle slope. 20' of frontage on the road and 300' on the water. 10 minutes from Georgia Lavonia exit 173. Just beautiful! All the best, Frank

Although I just purchased my Bennington last week, I've been a Lake Front land owner on Hartwell for 15 years. I'm keeping the Bennington at Lake Oconee but I'm looking to sell the lakefront lot on Hartwell. Full dock, deep water, 1.3 acres, pie shaped lot with gentle slope. 20' of frontage on the road and 300' on the water. 10 minutes from Georgia Lavonia exit 173. Just beautiful! All the best, Frank
Welcome to the forum FF! PM me and we'll talk more about your lot.

Back