Best anchor for a 23 foot Tritoon

Dieselman, alot of members on this forum love their Box anchor. I've never had one but it looks like a good product! I've had the "Digger anchor" going on 13 seasons now so I can vouch for it's durability/longevity/and reliability. We've never had any problem setting it or retrieving it! Excellent anchor! https://www.diggeranchor.com/

I have 2 box anchors ,a baby and a small . I use the baby on the stern on windy days to stop the sway

Agreed with Michiman. Anchor design is specific to many variables including bottom type, wind/current, size/weight of boat etc.

You could get away with a simple 8lb danforth and some chain if just looking for something small to hold in place in a small lake with sand/mud bottom. But rockier bottom in a river or inlet with tides or gusty winds and you'll need a much more robust design and size anchor.

Keep in mind as well length of rode and chain often have just as much to do with successfully anchoring as the anchor itself. I could set my 8lb danforth with 60-80 ft of rode and hold in some pretty gnarly conditions in 20ft of water. But if I had just 40ft of rode it would just bounce along.

Same with my current 13lb mantus although the design is much better at digging into soft bottom and more forgiving when on top of a shell bed. But you need the proper rode to get it to stick when it's ripping.

On my 23 R and Q's a small is large enough .

Hey Jack is small ok for a Q 25?
5 weeks to build for us!!

If I remember correctly a small is good up to a 26 ,BUT dont forget your LOA is longer .
Ill check their site

Here is a link to their site . Yes according to their site .I also have a baby for the stern on windy days .
Shop around before you buy

Wow thanks, I was thinking it was a type, not a name for a brand.

I use two spikes at the sandbars and a fortress for deep water.
Can find them on Amazon. Remember you want a length of anchor chain to so the flukes will dig in. The box anchors take up a fair amount of space for my liking. The anchors are aluminum and light weight on my boat except for chain which is rubber coated. I built two storage tubes for them under my boat, one in front and one in the rear for the spikes out 3” pvc pipe with a screw on cap on one end.D275745F-05D7-4257-8243-5DF423869B48.jpeg40D60420-864D-4FF5-B199-E8586AE566F7.jpeg

Last edited:
I have had pontoon boats for 36 years. What I have learned is that you do not want to live with (over time) the strongest holding anchor. Heavy sharp edge steel and chain is not compatible with a aluminum pontoon. And yet there is a few rare times that gear is necessary so I still have it but I do not leave it on the boat. A rubber coated anchor with a design appropriate for your application is most appropriate. Seek advice from a neighbor who is familiar with your application.

I have the 'small' box anchor but have had better success with a richter anchor, recommended by dealer, for our muddy lake bottom. Just my 2 cents.

Box! I boat on a River Lake (Havasu) - the small box anchor was adequate in most circumstances but several times last season pulled out the large and was glad I had it (both for the fast moving part sections and grassy sections when windy)! A few times I needed and used both. As DVW noted - my crew have put a few dings in my siding......the large is heavy! My 5 sets of friends all use boxes - our bottom varies from sand to rock to mud to grass.

Back