Best Anchor in muddy bottom river with current

tasformwood

Reaction score
I need the voice of experience from those of you who anchor in muddy bottom rivers with current.

Specifically, I have a 24' bennington tri-toon on the Ohio River in Louisville KY.  The bottom of the river ranges from 10' to 60' deep.  I have 200 feet of line and an anchor chain but can not seem to find an anchor that will hold well in the muddy Ohio River Bottom.  We have current and wind so MORE IS BETTER when it comes to holding power.

I have tried a fluke anchor with no success

All (actual experience) comments are encouraged.

Thank you

Peace

Todd

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ssc
x3 on the Box! I've never anchored in a river, but have in muddy bottoms and have experienced a lot of wind with them. Love my box anchors. 

Box ,I have 2, a  small & a baby for the stern to stop sway 

Last edited by a moderator:
Small box anchor will work great. I'm up on the Allegheny with similar conditions and have never had a problem. I spend most of my time anchored for fishing.

We hardly ever anchor and I know I am not good at setting the anchor and then the angle and all of that other crap so I bought the small box anchor and suddenly I am a pro.  Actually I just throw it over board, back up a little and tie it off.  It sets itself so well that I have proven that any idiot can do it

I agree that box is the best.  Consider adding a brush to the bag that comes with the anchor so you can get the mud off the anchor before bringing it aboard.

Bought a small box anchor this spring, works awesome in mud and sandy bottom. 

Does anyone on here have any experience with one of these? They are the new "It" anchor on the offshore forums. Unless your bottom is sand, silt, or mud, I can't imagine it would hold very well.

Back