Best navigation app for android or apple platforms

Indian_Lake_Bum

Reaction score
Like the title says I am looking for an app for my phone or tablet that can not only be used as navigation out on the water for your boat but one that you can track other boats (other boats in your group). We are working on starting a boater association on our lake and this would be a handy app to have.

If you do have a good suggestion as for an app that works roughly this way....how bad is it on your data package on your phone. We have limited data per month and I don't want to eat it all up on just a day or two out on the water.

I’ll be following this as well. Need a chart map as well for the new area.

Navionics has a decent app for boating. It works just like a marine GPS. You can program safe automatic routes. It's not free but reasonably price for a year. I use it as a back up when traveling by boat.

I use the
Like the title says I am looking for an app for my phone or tablet that can not only be used as navigation out on the water for your boat but one that you can track other boats (other boats in your group). We are working on starting a boater association on our lake and this would be a handy app to have.

If you do have a good suggestion as for an app that works roughly this way....how bad is it on your data package on your phone. We have limited data per month and I don't want to eat it all up on just a day or two out on the water.

I use the Navionics app. It work on both my iPhone and iPad and they link together so you only need to buy for 1 unit.
It's about $10.00, a one time charge unless you want to stay updated on any changes then it is $10.00 a year. You can download any and all map details for where you'll be boating. It works great. You can add waypoints. It shows docks, ramps, fuel stations, channel markers and restaurants. I have Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia and Florida downloaded.
Now the great part is that once you have the maps downloaded it uses NO data from then on. I have points 25 miles off shore where there is NO data and it works great. I can turn the app off, then when it comes back on it has no problem finding me and guiding me to my next spot with no data connection.
You can download it for free. Look at it, see the topo lines, see the marinas and explore it. But you can only use the navigation part if you pay the small fee.
It's the same data that's available on a SD card that you buy for a GPS unit.
The only downfall is that it uses the battery up quickly so it needs to be plugged in while using.

Back