Best tubing toys

Tailgate

Reaction score
What towables do most folks like?  I only have a 70hp on my 20foot so I know we won't go fast, but for a leisurely tow of an adult or young child (teens will probably not even be interested in going slow) what inflatables do you recommend?  

I've been researching the same thing. Seems that the Big Bertha is always rated near the top. Same with the Big Mable. Anybody with experience with these big ass tubes behind our small engine pontoons?

I've been looking at the ZUP board recently. I would take a flyer and try it out, but at around $300, it's a bit steep considering my kids won't be tubing for 4-5 years.

I have seen both of those on my lake in multiples, no experience on my end

Do a search on Craigslist under "Boats"...for towables...tubes....etc. On my local listings there's several for sale and practically new (one, a three seater, was from "grandparents" who used it once w/the grand kids!). I can't believe some of those things are $300+ retail! On Craigslist you can get some darn good deals. Might be a good way to see if you like any certain style. Just an idea for you : )

I picked up this one on Sierra Trading Post earlier this year for around $100. It's pretty basic, but much nicer than what I remember using when I was a kid.

http://www.obrien.com/product/super-le-tube-deluxe/

I also have 70HP on a 20 SLMX. Over Memorial Day with 3 adults on the boat and a 200 lb adult on the tube, at WOT I was doing ~18. I got him outside the wake a couple of times, but it was not very easy. Glad I got the tow bar as I didn't have to worry about keeping the tow rope out of the water.

Still lots of fun though, even at a slower speed.

My max speed with 2 adults on board is 21-22.

Gladiator Super Brawler 3-Person Towable Tube. Kids love this one and it doubles as a lounger when anchored. Average speed is 15 mph with it. 279 at overtons it's also available in a 2 seater.

We started with a regular round tube like all the others and it was ok. We tried something very different this year and purchased a TopDog 2 seater. It looks like a hotdog and you straddle it. It by far has been the best tube we have ever used for my 8 year old. I even climbed on it and it was fun. If you want something with a different seating position its worth a try. It is hard to get on though, it takes practice. I think they retail for $130 or so. We got ours in winter on the clearance isle at Walmart for $60.

We have this one and we love it.  Viper 3 person

AHVI-F3.jpg

This is the current choice of our lake......

I am always concern that with the high speed motors amd large wakes 

The individuals will bounce and hit their heads together 

With a small engine and pontoon not a worry as with a 400 HP Baja 

HERE IT IS NOT UNUSUAL TO SEE THE TOWABLE GO AIRBORNE  !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just inherited a Great Big Mable. This thing is massive. Almost as wide as the boat. Anyway, it actually pulled easier than our much smaller Airhead 3. Must be the extra surface area. I can't explain it other than to say it must be the same concept as adding strakes to pontoon...

If you have a smaller motor, you might borrow a big tube from someone to test and see how it works. I know, it's counter intuitive, but I swear I was running much less throttle pulling it.

We've had several versions of the Mable size over the years and they've been great on every boat we tried them with. The Big Mable was the go to one for us. You couldn't get them for awhile from the usual sources, but they're apparently available now on Amazon, etc.

I see that they're describing the "steerable" ones as mentioned above as "doables" now instead of towables. You learn something new every day.

+1 on the Big Mable............2nd year w/it............Had the Big bertha for 7 years until the cover literally fell apart.

Everyone's got their favorites.  Ours?  http://www.hosports.com/product-detail.php?id=tubes-3g

We love it because kids jump on without fear, there is padding between the riders, and you aren't sitting in a hole like some of the others = males have a tough time with the water pounding their, well, you know.  This tube is incredibly stable, well constructed, and you won't feel beaten to death when you stop.

Love Aquaglide Syncro 3 best tube we ever had plus one year warranty.

Everyone's got their favorites.  Ours?  http://www.hosports.com/product-detail.php?id=tubes-3g

We love it because kids jump on without fear, there is padding between the riders, and you aren't sitting in a hole like some of the others = males have a tough time with the water pounding their, well, you know.  This tube is incredibly stable, well constructed, and you won't feel beaten to death when you stop.
This is the one we have too...love it!

Good video Kris, I am also surprised they were able to stay on

Back