Big wave on front deck.

I did and it scared the crap out of me.  I'm a first time owner of at 2275 GCW with twin elipticals.  I am the most cautious guy on the bay (Barnegat) in New Jersey.  The bay can get pretty snotty but on this day it was not great. I had about 5 kids and 3 adults on the boat.  (Two kids in the back and everyone else in the front).   that was my first mistake.  Because it was a little rough I thought it would be a good idea to follow in the same path of a larger boat with a deep v hull.  He was going very slow so I decided to go around him thinking that the large wake he was creating would essentially not bother us.  In fact, I thought I would almost be "riding" his wake in the same way that an outrigger canoe does.  (2nd mistake)!!!!  The front dipped down and a wall of water came at least 1-2 feet over the front rail soaking the people in the front.  Found out later that one of the fences was dented.  Will take care of that in dry dock!  The nice thing was watching the water run through the middle of the boat and out the back.  Never again but I have to say, it's so nice to hear that I am not alone.
PS    Put on 44 hours this season and getting ready to pull it out.  What a great boat!  My neighbors (63)  and I live on the water with our own docks.  90% of them have larger boats but no one has used their boat more than us.  They can keep their gas guzzling, sexy boats because they are no fun when not in use!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back